Warning of flooding in 36 provinces

rooster59

Warning of flooding in 36 provinces

warn.jpg

The Department Disaster Prevention and Mitigation on Friday (July 28) warned people in 36 provinces across the country to brace for flooding and mud slides as a result of heavy rain which will continue until Sunday.

The 36 provinces vulnerable to flash flood, overflowing rivers or mud slide are as follows:

• Seven provinces in the North: Mae Hong Son, Uttradit, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit and Phetchabun.
  • Eighteen northeastern provinces: Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bung Karn, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Chaiyaphum, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Yasothon, Amnart Charoen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.
  • Five central provinces: Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Lop Buri and Saraburi.
  • Three eastern provinces: Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat
  • Three southern provinces: Prachuab Khiri Khan, Chumphon and Ranong.
  •  

The department reported that during July 5-27, over 1,400 villages in 37 provinces were flooded but the situation has eased in 21 provinces.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/warning-flooding-36-provinces/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-29

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

Been happening for 14 years here during my time.

What has ever been done - nothing !

In July?  Not normally this early in the season for this much of the country.

"The Department Disaster Prevention and Mitigation..."

If ever there was a misnomer. Should be called: "Department of Stating the Obvious and Doing Nothing About It".

They don't even teach people how to swim. 

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

"The Department Disaster Prevention and Mitigation..."

If ever there was a misnomer. Should be called: "Department of Stating the Obvious and Doing Nothing About It".

They don't even teach people how to swim. 

I know slightly off topic and notice when the odd occasions  I make it to the coast and yes so many people seem to have an adverse  reaction to swimming or water in general, unless they using gallons of it to wash and water their gardens with it.
However and this is being maybe a bit hypercritical, but frankly teaching as a whole and all subjects are not really been taught, but everyone passes every time, even if they have failed, particularly at secondary school or until they get the right answer.
Also amazingly enough take the rubbish bin out and I will pass you. Honestly have heard this!!!
Yes, this year the monsoon season seems to be very early this year, but these floods do occur every single year and the powers of nature truly remarkable.
Also feel for the people affected, but they just seem to get on with it.
Perhaps they could teach the youngsters, some as young as 9 or 10 how to ride a bike as well!!!

Edited by jwest10

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most of the current flooding is due to rainfall - not much below God level to prevent such flooding.  It is not only Thailand but many places in the world have been hit by much heavier rainfall this year than normal.  China was flooded months ago and USA is flooding now (even Arizona).  

As for Thailand defense system - expect most was just plans rather than implemented action - and it appears some of the action was defective materials.  But so far most river flow has been under some control but with the amount of rainfall it can not prevent all such flooding.

Yes agreed but look at Sydney, Australia and every year flooding all over the World. Mind you on the other hand drought in many Countries too. Nature right!!!

54 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Yes agreed but look at Sydney, Australia and every year flooding all over the World. Mind you on the other hand drought in many Countries too. Nature right!!!

Natures reaction to us and our ways I suspect.

The more you build roads, the more you concrete over land, the more you build buildings then the less 'land area' is available in that area to absorb the water.... the result is the water runs off of the buildings, runs over the roads and unless it can find suitable STORM drains, it finds the 'path of least resistance' such as doorways, basements, houses and the remaining excess flows down the roads.....

This is normal and to be expected, the only solution is to install BIGGER and more storm drains to take the run off and divert it safely to reservoirs and or rivers or the sea.....

yes, it will cost, but over-all it will save money over time.....

This affects many countries but Thailand is a good extreme example....  

Down my road they installed bigger 'v' shaped concrete drainage gutters along each side of the road.... however in less then 6 months they were overgrown with the fast-growing vegetation which then blocked water run-off and collected debris and earth, which allowed yet more plant growth to the point that you can barely see the drainage areas now at all------and= the result?  When it rains now the drainage ditches are blocked and it spreads across the roads and elsewhere rather then along the designed run-off...

Maintenance is necessary and essential in this climate!!

I've been living in Thailand for 25 years and don't remember three-four days of almost continuous heavy rain. A day or so yes. The locals in my area say it is the most rain they've had in 37 years. I've been amazed that the infrastructure has continued to work as well as it has, with only a few electric cuts while fallen trees were dealt with. The authorities have also worked around the clock to deal with such eventualities. Every year there are floods in various parts of Europe, but I don't read people blaming the government for the floods.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In July?  Not normally this early in the season for this much of the country.

LOL. Before the rainy season is when they should have prepared for the rain, not after it starts, and since when does the rain come according to schedule?

In Chiang Mai, where I am staying, the road floods because they never clean the drains, which are full to the top with dirt and rubbish.

13 minutes ago, TheMacMan said:

The more you build roads, the more you concrete over land, the more you build buildings then the less 'land area' is available in that area to absorb the water.... the result is the water runs off of the buildings, runs over the roads and unless it can find suitable STORM drains, it finds the 'path of least resistance' such as doorways, basements, houses and the remaining excess flows down the roads.....

This is normal and to be expected, the only solution is to install BIGGER and more storm drains to take the run off and divert it safely to reservoirs and or rivers or the sea.....

yes, it will cost, but over-all it will save money over time.....

This affects many countries but Thailand is a good extreme example....  

Down my road they installed bigger 'v' shaped concrete drainage gutters along each side of the road.... however in less then 6 months they were overgrown with the fast-growing vegetation which then blocked water run-off and collected debris and earth, which allowed yet more plant growth to the point that you can barely see the drainage areas now at all------and= the result?  When it rains now the drainage ditches are blocked and it spreads across the roads and elsewhere rather then along the designed run-off...

Maintenance is necessary and essential in this climate!!

Where I live the people keep the storm drain areas clear. People power. It works.

CLIMATE CHANGE!....Global Temperature increasing.....Ocean evaporation increasing.....Same as the rocket in rocket science......What goes up must come down.....increasing rainfall......especially when increased drought in some areas......That rain must fall elsewhere..............CLIMATE CHANGE!

6 hours ago, TheMacMan said:

The more you build roads, the more you concrete over land, the more you build buildings then the less 'land area' is available in that area to absorb the water.... the result is the water runs off of the buildings, runs over the roads and unless it can find suitable STORM drains, it finds the 'path of least resistance' such as doorways, basements, houses and the remaining excess flows down the roads.

Used to have a huge swamp area bang in the middle of Lamai, Koh Samui that would act as a sponge for all but the most excessive downpours. Pretty much all been drained and built on so now even fairly modest rains flood large parts of it.