Taking son in to Laos using U.K. Passport

Hi,

I'm wondering if any one can help me with a question. I need to go to Laos soon ( Vientiane) to renew my visa. I'm planning to take my girlfriend and son with me for a few days trip. I think I understand my girlfriends entry requirements , but it's my son who is 11 months old and has a uk passport although born here in Thailand. 

Whats his requirements for exit from Thai and entry in to Laos?

is it the same as mine, do we need to fill out a TM.6 arrival / departure card?

same cost for loas visa etc?

Any info / help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

scott

It would be best if you got you son a Thai passport. No Lao visa on arrival would be needed since he would get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Using the UK passport will be the same as for you a Lao VOA and departure card.

He could also get a border pass as a Thai national that would allow a 3 day stay in Vientiane. Cost is only about 50 baht. His birth certificate a copy of his house book registry would be needed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It would be best if you got you son a Thai passport. No Lao visa on arrival would be needed since he would get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Using the UK passport will be the same as for you a Lao VOA and departure card.

He could also get a border pass as a Thai national that would allow a 3 day stay in Vientiane. Cost is only about 50 baht. His birth certificate a copy of his house book registry would be needed.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Ill go and apply for his Thai passport this week as it does seem lot easier. 

Thanks again 

26 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Avoid ever using your son's UK passport for leaving or entering Thailand. It is asking for complications down the line.

Thanks for your reply and info but your saying to avoid ever using his uk passport leaving Thailand but obviously  if we ever take him to UK or any where in the EU to visit family or holiday it would be lot easier and logical using his UK passport due to not having to get a uk or EU visa which would be required if using his Thai 1!

i understand for leaving and entering in ASEAN / Asia region

Is this not correct??

Just now, scottyp1980 said:

Thanks for your reply and info but your saying to avoid ever using his uk passport leaving Thailand but obviously  if we ever take him to UK or any where in the EU to visit family or holiday it would be lot easier and logical using his UK passport due to not having to get a uk or EU visa which would be required if using his Thai 1!

Is this not correct??

When leaving the country for a trip to the UK he would still use his Thai passport for departure at immigration. He would only show his UK passport to the airline for checkin to prove he is a citizen of the UK and does not need a visa for entry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

When leaving the country for a trip to the UK he would still use his Thai passport for departure at immigration. He would only show his UK passport to the airline for checkin to prove he is a citizen of the UK and does not need a visa for entry.

Oh ok that is very very helpful. 

Thanks again for all the info provided again today. 

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How does he get out of the country on his Thai passport without a UK visa in it?

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

How does he get out of the country on his Thai passport without a UK visa in it?

Not sure what you mean.

If you are thinking Thai immigration would check for a visa or the right to enter another country you are wrong. If you have a boarding pass from the airline that is all that matters to them as far as that goes.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you mean.

If you are thinking Thai immigration would check for a visa or the right to enter another  country you are wrong. If you have a boarding pass from the airline that is all that matters to them as far as that goes.

Yes I thought immigration checked for a visa when leaving, learned something new today.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry to bother you again ubonjoe.

But you are always very knowledgable about visa questions I have asked previously.

When I go to loas to get my non /o single entry which is valid for 90 days plus 60 day extension at immigration can I apply for a re-entry if I get called back to work as I work offshore?

I hsve normally been only getting the 30 day extension at immigration as work has been busy but I'm going to be here longer than my usual month on and month off hence the reason I'm going to get the non-o again.

But like I just said if my work suddenly call me can I get a re entry or once I leave is it expired?

I hope I've explained it well enough. 

thanks again

scott

1 minute ago, scottyp1980 said:

When I go to loas to get my non /o single entry which is valid for 90 days plus 60 day extension at immigration can I apply for a re-entry if I get called back to work as I work offshore?

You can get a re-entry permit that will keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you re-enter the country. You can also get one for the 60 day extension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a re-entry permit that will keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you re-enter the country. You can also get one for the 60 day extension.

Thanks for the reply again. 

So for example if my work call me 20 days in to my 90 days I will have 70 days remaining plus the 60 days extension?

Also I take it I would need to re- enter before the initial 90 days expired?... which usually wouldn't be a problem as it's normally around 4-5 weeks offshore.

If you don't mind how do I apply for the re-entry? 

Is this done at the airport or local immigration before I return to work?

Thanks again 

scott

Also consider that if you used your son's UK passport to take him to Laos (because he didn't have a Thai passport), he would use his UK passport to enter back into Thailand.

This would mean your son would enter Thailand on the basis of being a UK citizen. To be correctly documented he would need a 1 year extension of stay in his passport the same as any other person entering on a foreign passport. This requirement would continue until he next left Thailand and re-entered on his Thai passport.

Obviously, you want to avoid this sort of thing and always use his Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. As stated, use his UK passport on arrival in the UK.

10 hours ago, scottyp1980 said:

Generally speaking, you can do it either way. If visiting immigration anyway to get an extension, you might just as well get it done then. If you do not already have one, and leaving via Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang, it is probably more convenient to do it there .

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

Also consider that if you used your son's UK passport to take him to Laos (because he didn't have a Thai passport), he would use his UK passport to enter back into Thailand.

This would mean your son would enter Thailand on the basis of being a UK citizen. To be correctly documented he would need a 1 year extension of stay in his passport the same as any other person entering on a foreign passport. This requirement would continue until he next left Thailand and re-entered on his Thai passport.

Obviously, you want to avoid this sort of thing and always use his Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. As stated, use his UK passport on arrival in the UK.

Hi thanks for your message and your info also. We are actually going to apply for his Thai passport today at the local passport office. 

It makes perfect sense now and I'm glad it was pointed out to me and yep it would have made things a lot more complicated.

Thanks again for your input

scott

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Generally speaking, you can do it either way. If visiting immigration anyway to get an extension, you might just as well get it done then. If you do not already have one, and leaving via Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang, it is probably more convenient to do it there .

Thanks BritTim.

Ive actually had a few of these single entry non - o now and wasted loads of days as not been aware I could get a re - entry. 

As I've never did it before where in the airport do you do this?

Just cos I usually get short call notice to go to work and would have no time to do it at immigration.

Thanks again 

scott

57 minutes ago, scottyp1980 said:

Thanks BritTim.

Ive actually had a few of these single entry non - o now and wasted loads of days as not been aware I could get a re - entry. 

As I've never did it before where in the airport do you do this?

Just cos I usually get short call notice to go to work and would have no time to do it at immigration.

Thanks again 

scott

In both cases, you get the re-entry permit after check in before you fly out of the country. At Don Muang, you go so the same desk that handles overstays, immediately after being stamped out. At Suvarnabhumi, you do it at a desk to the extreme left of the immigration desks, and do it just before being stamped out of the country. A small warning: at Suvarnabhumi, there are two international departure areas. You need to use departure zone 2 when planning to get a re-entry permit. I suggest you double check by asking those who verify your boarding pass as you go towards security to ensure you are going the right way.

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In both cases, you get the re-entry permit after check in before you fly out of the country. At Don Muang, you go so the same desk that handles overstays, immediately after being stamped out. At Suvarnabhumi, you do it at a desk to the extreme left of the immigration desks, and do it just before being stamped out of the country. A small warning: at Suvarnabhumi, there are two international departure areas. You need to use departure zone 2 when planning to get a re-entry permit. I suggest you double check by asking those who verify your boarding pass as you go towards security to ensure you are going the right way.

Thanks for the reply. 

Yeah I know the desk at Suvarnabhumi. And I will ask when there if needed when the time comes. 

And is it just a case of asking for re-entry at the desk and paying the fee?

How long does it normally take?

Sorry if I sound a bit daft but just trying to get all the info. 

Thanks

scott

49 minutes ago, scottyp1980 said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Yeah I know the desk at Suvarnabhumi. And I will ask when there if needed when the time comes. 

And is it just a case of asking for re-entry at the desk and paying the fee?

How long does it normally take?

Sorry if I sound a bit daft but just trying to get all the info. 

Thanks

scott

For safety, take a visa size photo with you, though at Suvarnabhumi, they have a machine that will usually deal with this (occasionally not operational). Take 1,200 baht, but it is possible to get the re-entry permit for 1,000 baht if you bypass the desk filling out forms and operating the photo machine. I have always found 15 minutes sufficient, but I would allow 30 minutes for safety.

15 hours ago, scottyp1980 said:

So for example if my work call me 20 days in to my 90 days I will have 70 days remaining plus the 60 days extension?

Also I take it I would need to re- enter before the initial 90 days expired?... which usually wouldn't be a problem as it's normally around 4-5 weeks offshore.

Posting this after trying to do it about 15 hours ago just before the forum went down. At least it was saved for me to post now.

The re-entry permit will be valid for entry up to the date the 90 day entry ends. If you left with 70 days remaining and was out of the country for 35 days you would still have 35 day remaining when you go stamped into the country. Them if you got a 60 day extension you could get another re-entry permit for it and the remaining days left on your original entry.

You can apply for the re-entry permit at you local immigration or at some airport on departure from the country. You can get a re-entry permit 24 hours a day at either airport in Bangkok.

You would complete a TM8 form and attach 4 X 6 cm photo to it. You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

On 29/07/2017 at 6:19 PM, scottyp1980 said:

Is this not correct??

Get your son a Thai passport, it can be done same day if you are in Bangkok, then you Leave Thailand on Thai passport and Enter UK on UK passport, Leave UK on UK passport and enter Thailand on Thai passport. Immigration told us to do this way and this is what we have done on numerous occasions including visiting Italy etc. No need for visas. There will be NO implications down the line but I understand when the children reach 18 years old they have to choose 1 passport, Thailand doesn't support dual citizenship. 

Also last year we went to Malaysia but my sons thai passport had expired, something we'd overlooked, big mistake because immigration here in Chiang mai would not let him pass for the flight on his UK passport alone, I'm not exactly sure of the reason and no amount of reasoning or arguing would change there minds, it's the law apparently. We had to fly to Bangkok for a same day Thai passport and a new flight to Malaysia, then used existing return, all with Air Asia. So keep BOTH passports up to date.

21 hours ago, scottyp1980 said:

Thanks for the reply again. 

Thanks again 

scott

Only useful if you have more than 30 days left on your original entry. 

Reentry will give you permission to stay to the same day as your original entry, you will not gain any days while gone. 

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

For safety, take a visa size photo with you, though at Suvarnabhumi, they have a machine that will usually deal with this (occasionally not operational). Take 1,200 baht, but it is possible to get the re-entry permit for 1,000 baht if you bypass the desk filling out forms and operating the photo machine. I have always found 15 minutes sufficient, but I would allow 30 minutes for safety.

Thanks again. 

I akwats carry passport pics with me you never know when they will come in handy. and 15- 30 mins sounds great. 

Thanks.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Posting this after trying to do it about 15 hours ago just before the forum went down. At least it was saved for me to post now.

The re-entry permit will be valid for entry up to the date the 90 day entry ends. If you left with 70 days remaining and was out of the country for 35 days you would still have 35 day remaining when you go stamped into the country. Them if you got a 60 day extension you could get another re-entry permit for it and the remaining days left on your original entry.

You can apply for the re-entry permit at you local immigration or at some airport on departure from the country. You can get a re-entry permit 24 hours a day at either airport in Bangkok.

You would complete a TM8 form and attach 4 X 6 cm photo to it. You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

Thanks ubonjoe 

ill mske sure I have a these passport copies / visa etc well in advance. 

And my TM6 is akwats kept in passport locked in safe. 

But thanks again you have all been very useful. 

Scott 

2 hours ago, Jimmyjames120 said:

Get your son a Thai passport, it can be done same day if you are in Bangkok, then you Leave Thailand on Thai passport and Enter UK on UK passport, Leave UK on UK passport and enter Thailand on Thai passport. Immigration told us to do this way and this is what we have done on numerous occasions including visiting Italy etc. No need for visas. There will be NO implications down the line but I understand when the children reach 18 years old they have to choose 1 passport, Thailand doesn't support dual citizenship. 

Also last year we went to Malaysia but my sons thai passport had expired, something we'd overlooked, big mistake because immigration here in Chiang mai would not let him pass for the flight on his UK passport alone, I'm not exactly sure of the reason and no amount of reasoning or arguing would change there minds, it's the law apparently. We had to fly to Bangkok for a same day Thai passport and a new flight to Malaysia, then used existing return, all with Air Asia. So keep BOTH passports up to date.

Hi 

thanks for your message.

we have just been to the local psssport office this morning for his Thai passport and was told we will have it back about Friday. So all good.

Theres been a lot of helpful info on this post I started and im

glad I did, otherwise if we did exit Thai to loas then re-enter on his uk it would have caused lots of problems as a few of the posters on here have pointed out. It never crossed my mind if we entered Laos using his uk passport he would then have to do the similar to other uk citizens if I have worded that correctly.

Thanks for every ones help in this subject 

scott

Edited by scottyp1980