Hammocks

Zenwind

Can anyone advise me on where to acquire a good, cool, robust hammock here in the Bangkok area? 

The only ones I have found thus far are made of nylon parachute silk.  For one, this densely-woven nylon fabric is far too hot for Thailand, as it is not breathable enough and does not let the breezes flow through.  Hammocks can be cool, but they must let the breezes flow. 

For another, I bought one of these nylon parachute silk hammocks less than two years ago, branded as Ticket to the Moon, at Amarin Plaza, Chit Lom.  As a climber, I was careful to protect it from wear and from exposure to sun and rain, and I never used it much.  But I sat in it the other day, and the nylon body fabric suddenly split and broke, dumping me three feet unto the concrete floor.  I weigh less than 75 kg, so it was not my excessive weight.  I did not break any bones, but I am grievously bruised and lamed.  This was a gross product failure.  I will never trust nylon parachute silk again. 

I would like to find a simple hammock that has a very strong construction.  I am thinking of those ones I’ve seen on the street that are made of a very thick-twine mesh with about 1-inch-square open space between.  (At my age, 67, I would double up with two of these hammocks under me for security; I already double up all the supporting lines; Hey, I was an Eagle Scout, “Be Prepared”, yes?) 

Where can I find such a hammock?  Thanks if you can advise me.

12 minutes ago, Zenwind said:

I was careful to protect it from wear and from exposure to sun and rain, and I never used it much.  But I sat in it the other day, and the nylon body fabric suddenly split and broke,

I find that most man-made fabrics, plastics, and glues break down quite rapidly here - even when totally protected from the sun and moisture. I have no clue why.

Doesn't make any difference, even  cotton webbing won't last here in Thailand

Brought one from the US because the Thai ones normally don't come with spreader bars, which I find necessary so that the hammock doesn't wrap around my torso

Even cotton won't last more than a year outside, even in the shade , due to the elements as correctly stated by the previous poster

597cba99b9a7f_spreaderbar.png.008c50e9567e3032ca5f34107c09aab6.png

On 7/29/2017 at 10:15 PM, chickenslegs said:

Most lazada hammocks seem to come from China ? They don't make them in Thailand ?

On 29-7-2017 at 5:21 PM, chickenslegs said:

I find that most man-made fabrics, plastics, and glues break down quite rapidly here - even when totally protected from the sun and moisture. I have no clue why.

I agree, even Speedo or Triumph swimgear breaks down in 2 years, even when rinsed with clear water and kept in a cabinet.

But for sure there will be quality-hammocks on the world which can stand it all. Sailingboats also have durable cords which are marine-proof.

Don't expect to find the hammock in Thailand though, better search online in places like AU or USA...Maybe there's a japanese brand selling them, they are masters with ropes and high quality.

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, Thian said:

I agree, even Speedo or Triumph swimgear breaks down in 2 years, even when rinsed with clear water and kept in a cabinet.

But for sure there will be quality-hammocks on the world which can stand it all. Sailingboats also have durable cords which are marine-proof.

Don't expect to find the hammock in Thailand though, better search online in places like AU or USA...Maybe there's a japanese brand selling them, they are masters with ropes and high quality.

I know it may be too late to give some comments here but I think the above comment is a bit unfair.  Try Tiya's Hammocks, www.native-habitat.com  The damages on the hammocks can come from many causes, even the quality ones from other places in the world you mentioned could get damaged if they get used carelessly.  Thanks.

On 7/31/2017 at 4:08 PM, bberrythailand said:

Most lazada hammocks seem to come from China ? They don't make them in Thailand ?

On Lazada, there's an option on the left margin to limit your search to items shipped from Thailand.  If that option isn't there, it means they all ship from overseas, the vast majority from China.

Caveat: shipping from Thailand doesn't mean Made in Thailand.  I've seen a lot of hammocks made locally in Thailand, but I'm not sure I can point you to a place to buy them.

Like a lot of guys posting, I've notice that nylon from many Asian sources seems to disintegrate rapidly with time and no other cause.  First time I noticed was when the nylon ties holding my network cables along the ceiling disintegrated within a year.  And they weren't exposed to direct sun, or any chemicals I wasn't breathing.  Which is scary...

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

I have two brand new Chinese parachute hammocks I'll sell you. Purchased on Amazon last year while in US. We bought four - 2 never used. B1500 for two plus shipping or pu in BKK MRT station. PM me if interested. Price is non negotiable. 

Years ago I bought a fabulous microfiber hammock in Chauchak. Sold both to acquaintances, still kicking myself. Found the hammock again, wife's friend but did not buy in BKK. I've spent hours searching and calling. I see export possibilities.

We are leaving the country not back until 28th Oct.

Edited by Number 6