Phayao vendors press case against ‘encroaching’ bike lane

webfact

Phayao vendors press case against ‘encroaching’ bike lane

By The Nation

6ed9adcbd3b5c8617f431a24f854ad52-atwb.jpg

PHAYAO: -- Food and souvenir vendors upset at being crowded by a bicycling lane around Kwan Phayao Lake in northern Phayao province staged their second protest in a month on Monday.

The vendors said the paved bike lane halves the parking space for their prospective customers and has worsened traffic congestion.

About 40 vendors gathered at Phayao City Hall on Monday morning with signs urging Governor Narongsal Chalermkiat to cancel the project, which is still in development. 

Leading the demonstration, Nomklao Pua Poungpracha Foundation director Chumpol Leelanont claimed the cycling lane was installed without retailers and residents being consulted. 

Refusing to give their petition to Deputy Governor Panthong Sakhupan, the protesters agreed to disperse only when told that Narongsak would personally come and get it on August 7.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322320

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-31

Pavements are for walking and bike lanes are for cycling. Very easy and basic concept. If you don't understand that by now, I'm sure you're just being obtuse to serve your own needs and don't care about the needs of others. 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Pavements are for walking and bike lanes are for cycling. Very easy and basic concept. If you don't understand that by now, I'm sure you're just being obtuse to serve your own needs and don't care about the needs of others. 

I think, they are asking for a "vendor lane". :shock1:

they are upset because people are using the area for what it was designed for and that means its harder for them to get their free passes to set up, they are the intruders, no one else is and they are the reason the traffic is so congested, move them on

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

thais, caring about others ?! surely you jest

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

they are upset because people are using the area for what it was designed for and that means its harder for them to get their free passes to set up, they are the intruders, no one else is and they are the reason the traffic is so congested, move them on

law and order ? common sense ? cmon; look at the general attitude here on encroachment; laws are just inconveniences

The bicycle lane has removed all the parking one side of the road. The bike track goes for about 2.5 kms  On the other side of the road there  was about a 900 meters where there was nose in parking. This has been now made into parallel  parking again reducing the number  of cars able to park. On this side the bike track leaves the road and takes part of the wide walkway along the edge of the lake. This area has a lot of restaurants and it these people who are protesting about the reduced parking. 

I drove there this morning and noticed about 4 cars parked on the bicycle lane and many motorbikes especially outside  a 7/11

the local Issue is but a general observation on the state of encroachment here in Thailand;

the people in Thailand view public land as anything that they want to do for

their own private use

In other words ,there is no public land or equivalently,it has no meaning

On 7/31/2017 at 3:01 PM, rkidlad said:

One of the fundamental precepts of Thainess