Facebook scam: There is no $3.5-million windfall in Syrian loot

webfact

Facebook scam: There is no $3.5-million windfall in Syrian loot

BY THE NATION 

fb-630x336.jpeg

A Nakhon Pathom restaurant owner told police on Monday he’d been duped out of Bt300,000 after being promised he’d get half of US$3.5 million being smuggled into Thailand.

Mana Samitsomboon of Don Tume district said he’d transferred the money to three different bank accounts, only to learn from bank officials that a Chon Buri woman had withdrawn all of it.

Mana had been contacted on Facebook by someone claiming to be Katherine Sophia, who was fighting in the Syrian conflict. “Sophia” claimed to have found a chest containing $3.5 million and wanted to smuggle the cash into Thailand to invest in a project.

Mana agreed to receive the chest “via a diplomatic channel” in return for getting half the money. It was to have been shipped to a consular office in a southern province and from there to his residence. All he needed to do was send her Bt39,170 to cover the shipping cost.

But then Mana got a phone call from someone claiming to work for a logistics firm hired to deliver the chest from the consular office to his house. Since the box was stuffed with cash, Mana was going to have to pay off the firm with Bt74,600.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/facebook-scam-no-3-5-million-windfall-syrian-loot/23284/

-- Thai Tech 2017-07-31

And now he gets his name in the national press as a gullible fool.

A Sydney radio station once had a ring-in to win Marcel Marceau's latest album. Female caller gave her name and suburb, claiming she had all his other albums and wanted the latest to complete her collection.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

And this guy is quite happy to have his fizzog and his story of total greed and stupidity plastered all over the mainstream press for all and sundry to laugh at and ridicule him, man these people know no bounds :passifier:

Sorry about the above webfact, I wanted to copy something but it quoted instead, sorry :sorry:

Edited by Golden Triangle

There's one born every minute - pure Greed caused him to lose his money - in his mind, someone smuggling money into Thailand was 'okay', as long as he got his share.   Now he finds he has been scammed in an illegal operation and goes to the Police???  Boggles the mind they would eveb entertain this for one minute.  He should be arrested for conspiracy to smuggle money into Thailand.

13 hours ago, CantSpell said:

I have several boxes as well containing millions..

I would be happy to exchange them for 100k each, please contact me asap, they are going fast..

ok ....  where do I send the 100k .. ?   :shock1:      and how much will my box have in it ... ?

The thing is, there are thousands of these emails going to millions of people. If only one in 10,000, or even 1 in 100,000, gets a bite, that's a lot of suckers being relieved of a lot of cash. 

The same a clickbait advertising. 

The average IQ of mail recipients is only 100. By definition half the world poulation is less intelligent than that, and substantial numbers are so unintelligent they can be suckered into anything.  It's a highly profitable business, better than working....

It's just as well that none of the scammers seem able to spell, or use a spell checker and grammar checker, otherwise even the better educated could be taken in!