Is it possible to have a incorrect year of birth on a Thai passport

Natgun

I was in Thailand few years back and remember speaking with someone who told me there age 

but the really messed up thing was the I'd i seen made her younger than she said 

if I remember she told me she was 30 but the ID had a date of birth that made her 27 :S 

i had understand someone me one wanting to be younger but not older 

please move over if need be could not find correct location 

My TGF and her elder sister (+18 months) had their births registered at the same time. By all accounts, it was an infrequent outlying village visit to the main town, "Pappa" and almost everyone else had been on the Laokhao and end result was things became muddled, and the girls ended up with each others birth dates on all of their paperwork. 

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

My wife's name in her passport is correct in the Thai language but in the English language translation she has a man's name......guess anything is possible.

It's just by chance that the transcription sounds like a man's name in English (to you).

Also the Thai to Roman transcription is not automated and not exact science.

Her real name is in Thai and nothing else.

My wife's passport got incorrect birth year and when she went for a renewal they spelt her name not same as the previous passport. No authority has ever questioned it.

I wonder why nobody can answer as it is, and not just speculate about things. 

To answer the OP: Yes, a persons real age in Thailand can be different than it says in both ID and Passports. The reason for that is an old way of handling paperwork.
Not so long ago, many amphur and villages had their separate filing of papers regarding birth, death, marriages and more. Some papers disappeared, and no copies could be found.
In some places the fire took their archive. Other reasons also exists. However this was like only 20 years ago, and not many small amphurs was electronically connected or even computerized.

That´s the real answer to the question. Everything else here can be overlooked.

There is a limit to registering a birth so births in outlying villages were sometimes registered a couple of years late.  In those cases, original birth dates were not given as they would be beyond the time to register and liable to a fine.

That said, some older folks have no proof of birth.  No birth certificate or lost and not permanently recorded anywhere.  My step mother's passport states her date of birth as 19XX.  She knows what year she was born but according to her passport she could have been born anytime in the 20th century!!

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

I wonder why nobody can answer as it is, and not just speculate about things. 

To answer the OP: Yes, a persons real age in Thailand can be different than it says in both ID and Passports. The reason for that is an old way of handling paperwork.
Not so long ago, many amphur and villages had their separate filing of papers regarding birth, death, marriages and more. Some papers disappeared, and no copies could be found.
In some places the fire took their archive. Other reasons also exists. However this was like only 20 years ago, and not many small amphurs was electronically connected or even computerized.

That´s the real answer to the question. Everything else here can be overlooked.

"Everything else here can be overlooked"??  Bit of a sweeping statement, and incorrect.

There is a cost to registering births - and in some rural areas, lower income families just do not see it as a priority - until they start to think about schools etc.  So the actual registration can be several years after the birth date, but you can't use a retrospective date when you register the birth, so the 'Birth Date' is just the date they got around to registering the baby.  The birth date in the Thai ID is then used for the passport later life, so the error continues.  My partner is two years older than her passport date for this reason, although she likes to claim that it's her real birth date.:smile:

36 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

"Everything else here can be overlooked"??  Bit of a sweeping statement, and incorrect.

There is a cost to registering births - and in some rural areas, lower income families just do not see it as a priority - until they start to think about schools etc.  So the actual registration can be several years after the birth date, but you can't use a retrospective date when you register the birth, so the 'Birth Date' is just the date they got around to registering the baby.  The birth date in the Thai ID is then used for the passport later life, so the error continues.  My partner is two years older than her passport date for this reason, although she likes to claim that it's her real birth date.:smile:

Yeah! Okey overlooked can be too much, but the reason does not matter so much. The fact is that it can be wrong and different.
Ido really hope that you do accept the birth date in your partners passport and ID as the right one! :smile:

On 01/08/2017 at 8:52 AM, Suradit69 said:

Yes, mistakes on government issued documents only occur in Thailand.

Not true - have had a UK passport for my daughter issued with an M in the "Male / Female" section.

They accepted the error and issued another passport that week when the first one had taken significantly longer. (Not her first passport - and we'd included her old passport with the application).

I have heard that birth registrations in Thailand can be delayed significantly (i.e. not registering until they realise that if they're not registered they can't attend school), which can mean the date of birth on the birth certificate and then passport will be significantly later than the actual date of birth. (Presumably because they can't back-date the birth registration more than a certain number of days without getting courts involved...)

It does mean that someone saying they're not as old as their passport is probably lying, but someone saying they're older (at least once they're in their 20s), could well be telling the truth.

Edited by bkk_mike
Additional info

On 8/6/2017 at 3:20 AM, garrya said:

My wife's passport age is different from her biological age by a year. She is not the only one I know with this mistake. Yes, this is fairly common in Thailand.

Yes, Mrs.Trans is one year younger than her mum thought she was after her daughter got a PP.......:sad: