No tourists just filthy sea, dead fish and rubbish - so beach traders call it a day

webfact

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to stop this problem is to have local government employees standing around waiting for people to litter, then fining them B1000. 

And to say that the garage is coming from the water from some other location is ludicrous. It is coming from mostly Thai people at the beach. Foreign tourist mostly just use the sand as a ashtray, which is just as bad. B1000. You pay now or go monkey house!

Last year I swam briefly on Jomtien beach for the first and last time with my son and daughter.  We we're not alone. Some swim with whales or sharks we were swimming with TURDS. Disgusting.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Just stay in your hotel and you should get out with only minor irritations. 

Renting a 5 bedroom house with a pool my 26 year daughter and her mate are coming over. Coming from the UK they love a bit of beach. Thai half of my family won't go near a beach

3 hours ago, soihok said:

Dave.

There are some nice beaches with clean sea further south along the coast. My family were there a few weeks ago. It means you will have to hire a car though.

If you want more info, PM me.

Cheers 

Thank will do

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I think you have no need to worry....while they say Jomtien Beach I'm almost sure they mean Pattaya beach.

I walk on Jomtien promenade daily and it is a nice friendly spot with traders as usual .

I hope you and your family have a great holiday and remember the old addige......" Don't believe everything you read in the papers".

Thanks for the info

In rainy season there usually is not the number of tourists that there is over the Winter months

when it is really cold in China, Russia, North America, and too hot in Australia so even those

tourists go to Thailand for a change.  The beach cleaners come out and make the place more

visibily pleasing for us tourists of the peak season. So relax you visitors of Chrstmas and New Years.

Geezeri

1 hour ago, monspencer said:

I would say that the photo is of Jomtien beach. If it was Pattaya beach the backdrop would be of the headland between Pattaya and Jomtiem. Also there would be loads of jet skiers etc, etc in the sea and the sky.

Yes It certainly looks like Jomtien beach to me. But i'm not so sure about the Flying jet skies never seen them even on Pattaya beach?

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

You don't HAVE to go near the beach!

I and the Thai side of the family don't go the beach, however my 26 years daughter and mate both from the UK will want to go.

3 hours ago, habanero said:

Here's an idea..........Why don't they just clean it up?   

I know, stupid right?

That would help, but the heavy rains induced storm drain pollution will just have to wait on nature.

Some infrastructure repair/redesign and enforcement re: restaurant waste water, etc., is needed. That will not happen quickly.

3 hours ago, soihok said:

Dave.

There are some nice beaches with clean sea further south along the coast. My family were there a few weeks ago. It means you will have to hire a car though.

If you want more info, PM me.

Cheers 

Yes. Ban Ampur, Bang Saray, Sattahip as examples.

We went to one of the Navy operated beaches a few days ago. Quite nice.

All in all! Pattayas beaches are dirty and the sea water is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's getting more worse year by year!

So Pattaya is defenetly not a beach resort area if you really like to enjoy a clean beach and clear water. Go somehwere else.

If you need enterntainment and bars and stuff like that: Pattaya is a perfect place to go!

Otherwise: stay away!

In my opinion many of these news stories are over blown.

I just got back from two days in Pattaya and walked much of the beach and never saw what is depicted here.  It appears to be the far N. part of the beach.  Granted the water is not clean, but I observed most of beach full, of tourists, no trash as the umbrella vendors keep it clean in their areas.  There were many boats loading for the Islands.  At night the area around Beach Road was full.  The wait at Hops restaurant at 8 p.m. was close to an hour!  I had a wonderful time and look forward to going back.  I don't go in the water.

In fact, I've lived here for 12 years and go to Pattaya at least once a month.  I never saw dead fish in the central part of the Pattaya beach like depicted in the photo.  Perhaps up by the pier and far north.

It's sad to see the facts twisted and all the ignorant posters who have not been to the beach recently pile on.

All beaches in the world have some trash on them from incoming tides and weather, so why pick on Pattaya?

Ignorant posters cost citizens jobs!

Until Thailand learns to manage it's waste, to which tourists add more, by the ton, a Mt Everest style solution could be a fix:  You may visit but you must take your rubbish, including your excrement, away with you when you leave. 

8 minutes ago, soistalker said:

The only way to stop this problem is to have local government employees standing around waiting for people to litter, then fining them B1000. 

And to say that the garage is coming from the water from some other location is ludicrous. It is coming from mostly Thai people at the beach. Foreign tourist mostly just use the sand as a ashtray, which is just as bad. B1000. You pay now or go monkey house!

Besides that what Pattaya needs is to think and start spending money on sorting the city out and making more waste water treatment plants and cleaning the whole area up. Never mind about all these fancy ideas about high speed trains, for what to link up people so they can arrive faster to nothing more than a garbage area, get your city in order first.

For example in Soi Khow Noi on the road near the railway crossing there are drains that go across the road and fill up and get all clogged up with rubbish and plastic with the heavy rain fall, it's been days since it last rained but the plastic and rubbish is still there sticking out of the drains you would think the shop keepers themselves would clean it up if the local council don't do it its right in front of them and it must stink too.

The problem here is that they are used to living in such squaller and don't care about their environment nobody cares and they only think about one thing making money end of story.

But, but, but ... thank God, the local authorities, always eager to address and solve real problems, are busy BEAUTIFYING Dongtan Beach ( up to now, arguably the best section of Jomtien Bay), ie cutting down loads of hundred-year-old trees and removing most of the sand to replace it with concrete.

Thanks to them, this beach will soon look like a Tesco Lotus parking lot.

Edited by Yann55

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

Choose another location. Pattaya is not for families and not for beach pleasures, except of course the pleasures you don't want to indulge in when you are with your family. Think of Ko Chang, Ko Kut, Khao Lak and Khlong Muang, or any of the islands off the Trang coast.

10 minutes ago, Kabula said:

I just got back from two days in Pattaya and walked much of the beach and never saw what is depicted here.  It appears to be the far N. part of the beach.  Granted the water is not clean, but I observed most of beach full, of tourists, no trash as the umbrella vendors keep it clean in their areas.  There were many boats loading for the Islands.  At night the area around Beach Road was full.  The wait at Hops restaurant at 8 p.m. was close to an hour!  I had a wonderful time and look forward to going back.  I don't go in the water.

In fact, I've lived here for 12 years and go to Pattaya at least once a month.  I never saw dead fish in the central part of the Pattaya beach like depicted in the photo.  Perhaps up by the pier and far north.

It's sad to see the facts twisted and all the ignorant posters who have not been to the beach recently pile on.

All beaches in the world have some trash on them from incoming tides and weather, so why pick on Pattaya?

How dare you inject a little reality into the latest circle jerk after only 4 pages?

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

There are other better places in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Just stay in your hotel and you should get out with only minor irritations. 

Oh, like bedbug bites?

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I think you have no need to worry....while they say Jomtien Beach I'm almost sure they mean Pattaya beach.

I walk on Jomtien promenade daily and it is a nice friendly spot with traders as usual .

I hope you and your family have a great holiday and remember the old addige......" Don't believe everything you read in the papers".

Please go into the water up to your head and  splash about please. Let us know if you have any issues with a burning penis or weird sensations like your buttocks  are on fire. If you start to go blind or are diagnosed with an antibiotic resistant skin infection that starts rotting your flesh, please do  advise us as well. Your public service will not go unrewarded and many will attend your funeral should your next of kin  let them know when and where.

I remember about 35 years ago the King and his family were swimming at Dong Tang beach Jomptien,   Later they stopped at the roadside Pattaya land soi 1, second road for quick food.  Then headed back to Bangkok.   THOSE WERE THE DAYS.      

Please tell me what Pattaya city council have done with all  the money raked in over the years to have this beach situation in this condition---------I have an idea where the money could have gone----just saying.

Edited by ginjag

23 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Because you have only seen  from afar, the reports are to be dismissed as  fabrications and lies. OK.  When is the last time that the Pattaya government  released any information on water quality? We believe that it is because the gathering of water samples and other data  is forbidden. When was the last time a public health agency or  academic researcher has done any water and soil quality assessment?  My understanding is that the water is contaminated with feces and related e.coli along with some very dangerous and nasty bacteria and viruses and  toxic substances including heavy metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic and cadmium ,that the information is suppressed. if the  public knew that  the water offshore of Pattaya was no better than a Bangkok Klong, tourism would suffer. I offer that the current  situation is criminal.