Retirement visa details

Trying to understand the retirement visa procedure.  I just turned 50, so this will be my first time. I don't receive monthly pension yet.

Will the below work?

1. I transfer the equivalent of 800,000 THB from abroad to my Thai bank account.

2. I enter Thailand without a visa (visa exemption), so I will get 30 days (Swedish citizen).

3. Earlier than two weeks before my 30 days are up, I go to immigration and present:

- Passport with at least 12 months remaining, copy of passport

- Filled in form

- Photo

- Bank passbook, copies of all pages

- Guarantee letter from the bank, written in Thai, no older than seven days,  stating a balance of at least 800,000 THB, and showing that it came from abroad (indicated by bank transfer code in passbook).

- 1900 THB for the fee

This will change my visa status to a non immigrant O, and give me 90 days.

4. Earlier than two weeks before my 90 days are up, I go to immigration and present:

- Filled in form

- Photo

- Guarantee letter from the bank, written in Thai, no older than seven days,  stating a balance of at least 800,000 THB, and that it has been there for at least three months.

- 1900 THB for the fee

This will change my visa status to a non immigrant OA, and give me one year.

5. I repeat step 4 once a year to renew the retirement visa. I report to immigration every 90 days.

Thanks for any input on this.

Edited by SnareBear

To avoid confusion, an "OA" is something else (a type of visa obtained outside Thailand).  You will have a "1 year extension of stay based on retirement" at that point in your outlined-process.

If the Thai Embassy in Sweden does not make it too difficult, I would suggest coming in with a Non-O 90-Day visa based on retirement, issued by them.  If this will not be do-able, then you could proceed generally as you outlined.  But be aware that different immigration offices have different procedures for processing "Conversions to Non O."    If you tell us where you will be living, someone familiar with that office's policies may be able to provide additional detail on what that particular office will request.

Thanks ubonjoe and JackThompson!

In my case getting the Non-O in Sweden will be a lot of work, so I'll try to get it in Thailand instead.

I will be living in Chiang Mai. I have visited their immigration office many times, but never done a Non-O before. Turning 50 is so depressing, Im glad it at least saves me the trouble of visa runs.

9 minutes ago, SnareBear said:

In my case getting the Non-O in Sweden will be a lot of work, so I'll try to get it in Thailand instead.

In that case I would strongly suggest that you at least obtain a single-entry 60-day tourist visa in Sweden since you might otherwise run the risk of being denied permission to board your flight to Thailand on the basis of a 1-way ticket at check-in, unless you were in possession of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand within the following 30 days. 

Edited by OJAS

Thanks, thats good to know ubonjoe. Better get started with the Non-O as soon as I arrive in Thailand.

Thanks for the suggestion OJAS. I usually get a cheap Air Aisa ticket out of Thailand, just to show at check in. Thai Embassy in Sweden is very far from where I live, so a big hassle to deal with.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnareBear said:

That may be true - but be sure you/they are not mixing-up requirements for a "Non-O-A Retirement Visa" (1-year Multiple-Entry), vs a single-entry 90-Day Non-O Visa based on retirement.  It is possible that even the 90-day is difficult there - this varies by country and Embassy - but good to be sure.

As OJAS mentioned, if they won't do the Non-O 90-day, a Tourist Visa would be simple, buy more time, and avoid any issue with boarding your flight.

EDIT: I see distance is an issue - you posted the same moment as I did.  If you don't have time to do things by post, then just be sure to start the process as soon as you arrive.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

If you don't do an O-A, there is no doubt at all that arriving with a single entry O visa is easier than doing a change of status to O in Thailand. If nothing else, it's one application in Thailand, not two.

As far as getting the O in home country or Malaysia/Lao that would be more personal. If you're in your home country, it's more convenient to do it there. If you're already in Asia, probably do it in Asia. 

Regarding the "O"  -  3 months (90 day) retirement visa, with single entry, what is the purpose to ask for a re-entry permit, if this visa is delivered before arrival in a Thai Embassy abroad?

Assuming that one does not leave the country at the expiration of the first 3 months and directly asks for an extension at immigration in Thailand?

Did I miss out something important here?

9 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Regarding the "O"  -  3 months (90 day) retirement visa, with single entry, what is the purpose to ask for a re-entry permit, if this visa is delivered before arrival in a Thai Embassy abroad?

Assuming that one does not leave the country at the expiration of the first 3 months and directly asks for an extension at immigration in Thailand?

Did I miss out something important here?

There is no need for a reentry permit for the 90 day O visa if the person doesn't intend to travel outside of Thailand during that period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you don't do an O-A, there is no doubt at all that arriving with a single entry O visa is easier than doing a change of status to O in Thailand. If nothing else, it's one application in Thailand, not two.

As far as getting the O in home country or Malaysia/Lao that would be more personal. If you're in your home country, it's more convenient to do it there. If you're already in Asia, probably do it in Asia. 

Yea I agree it is a matter of convenience. I have to do two applications no matter what. Get a Non-O in Sweden, then get a retirement extension in Thailand. Or arrive on visa exemption and do both Non-O and retirement extension in Thailand, in which I case I don't have to visit my local Thai embassy, which is very far way.

Some people say the second alternative can be harder to get approved, but I think I'll take the risk.

8 hours ago, SnareBear said:

Yea I agree it is a matter of convenience. I have to do two applications no matter what. Get a Non-O in Sweden, then get a retirement extension in Thailand. Or arrive on visa exemption and do both Non-O and retirement extension in Thailand, in which I case I don't have to visit my local Thai embassy, which is very far way.

Some people say the second alternative can be harder to get approved, but I think I'll take the risk.

Why can't you apply for your non-O in Sweden via mail?

You shall check in a local forum for the area where you are going to apply for extension of stay for 1 year based on retirement, as the rules are different in various areas.

13 hours ago, SnareBear said:

Earlier than two weeks before my 90 days are up, I go to immigration and present:

- Filled in form

- Photo

- Guarantee letter from the bank, written in Thai, no older than seven days,  stating a balance of at least 800,000 THB, and that it has been there for at least three months.

- 1900 THB for the fee

Some Immigration Offices may also want (the additional demands where I renew my extension based on retirement):
Certified bank statment of your account(s), showing at least previous 3 month (presume 60 days for 1st application)

Original bank book(s)

Also a bank account showing daily transactions, if the 800k baht is in a separate account (will often be in a fixed deposit, due to interest)

Photocopies of your passport ID-page, Visa-page, page with last entry stamp, departure card attached to passport, page with last extension stamp (if renewing)

Copy af rental Agreement for house/condo/room

Copy of landlord's Blue House Book, and copy of Landlord's ID card

If you own condo or house, proof of residence-address, for example your Yellow House Book

Google Map with clear identification of your residence (house) + co-ordinates

Hand drawn simple map of the location of your residence (house)

Health certificate from Hospital, not older than 1 week

Some offices may not accept application for extension of stay before one week before your present permission to stay in the Kingdom expire

All photo copies shall be portrait and must be signed

The application can take several days, and demands for various proofs may change every year.

This year's new demand where I live, is:

»A new form with no number  -  only obtainable from the office, which states your Western name, and which they then translate for you to create a new Thai name.

Once the new forms are complete - you now need to go downstairs to an additional office and "register on the Internet" This is done for you, but costs an additional 40 Baht per applicant and takes around 20 mins. To complete this procedure you will need your passport and your residential documents - either rental agreement or blue book.«

(Probably only needed if you don't have a Yellow House Book, which states your name in certified Thai translation – I've not been through the new procedure yet, this year.)

Check the actual procedure with someone in your local area, who has already applied for extension based on retirement; some places it's a simple process, others it can be fairly complicated – wish you good luck...:smile:

PS: I agree with other posters in, that you shall try to get a non-immigrant-O visa in Sweden, before flying to Thailand. A non-O will give 90-days stay when you enter the Kingdom, and you avoid the Visa-procedure at the local Immigration Office. If there is a Thai Consulate in Sweden, they may provide you with a mail service for Non-O Visa (we could do that in Denmark via the consulate).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SnareBear said:

Thanks, thats good to know ubonjoe. Better get started with the Non-O as soon as I arrive in Thailand.

Thanks for the suggestion OJAS. I usually get a cheap Air Aisa ticket out of Thailand, just to show at check in. Thai Embassy in Sweden is very far from where I live, so a big hassle to deal with.

I get the travel agent to print a travel itinerary for the return flight, for 5 dollars. Works great.

Just now, DUNROAMIN said:

What happened to the Medical certificate and Police check from home country? I needed it for retirement  visa two years ago

That is not required to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. It is only need for a OA visa applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

• Like 1

What happened to the Medical certificate and Police check from home country? I needed it for retirement  visa two years ago.

Generally not necessary for either change of status to O or retirement extensions in Thailand. Always needed for O-A visas from home countries.

12 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

Can the notarized Affidavit of Income  work in place of the actual 800k in the bank ?

If you have proof of 65k baht income you do not need the 800k baht in the bank.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not required to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. It is only need for a OA visa applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

OK thanks for the info. Cheers

7 hours ago, over it said:

I get the travel agent to print a travel itinerary for the return flight, for 5 dollars. Works great.

I have used this method extensively while traveling to various countries. Worked great in the past, but last few years it is more like a lottery. Some check-in counters will ask for your booking number, which you only will have if you actually paid for the reservation. Got stuck in airports two times already, hurrying like crazy to book a new flight to show them. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Another option is to buy a refundable ticket. But that might also backfire, because with some airlines it is like pulling teeth to get money back. Took me one month, four visits, and making a big scene at the office to finally get my money back from Avianca in Medellin, Colombia.

The requirement exists so the airlines wont lose money in case they have to return a person back to the origin when he is refused entry by immigration. Which must be extremely rare in my estimate. I wrote to IATA and suggested to them that they implement a new system, where I deposit say $500 at check-in to bypass the onward ticket requirement, and then withdraw it at arrival at the destination airport. They have no interest in that unfortunately.

23 hours ago, JackThompson said:

To avoid confusion, an "OA" is something else (a type of visa obtained outside Thailand).  You will have a "1 year extension of stay based on retirement" at that point in your outlined-process.

If the Thai Embassy in Sweden does not make it too difficult, I would suggest coming in with a Non-O 90-Day visa based on retirement, issued by them.  If this will not be do-able, then you could proceed generally as you outlined.  But be aware that different immigration offices have different procedures for processing "Conversions to Non O."    If you tell us where you will be living, someone familiar with that office's policies may be able to provide additional detail on what that particular office will request.

As I understand to be issued a retirement visa outside of thailand one must also have a doctors report of physical exam. This requirement (expensive in USA) is not needed when applying within Thailand. 

37 minutes ago, SnareBear said:

I have used this method extensively while traveling to various countries. Worked great in the past, but last few years it is more like a lottery. Some check-in counters will ask for your booking number, which you only will have if you actually paid for the reservation. Got stuck in airports two times already, hurrying like crazy to book a new flight to show them. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Another option is to buy a refundable ticket. But that might also backfire, because with some airlines it is like pulling teeth to get money back. Took me one month, four visits, and making a big scene at the office to finally get my money back from Avianca in Medellin, Colombia.

The requirement exists so the airlines wont lose money in case they have to return a person back to the origin when he is refused entry by immigration. Which must be extremely rare in my estimate. I wrote to IATA and suggested to them that they implement a new system, where I deposit say $500 at check-in to bypass the onward ticket requirement, and then withdraw it at arrival at the destination airport. They have no interest in that unfortunately.

Actually I have read reports on here (albeit not recently) of those in a similar position to you being given the option at check-in of signing a disclaimer under which they (and not the airline) would be responsible for the costs of flying them back to the airport of origin in the event of their being refused admission into the destination country. But I take it from your comments that you have never been offered this option?

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Actually I have read reports on here (albeit not recently) of those in a similar position to you being given the option at check-in of signing a disclaimer under which they (and not the airline) would be responsible for the costs of flying them back to the airport of origin in the event of their being refused admission into the destination country. But I take it from your comments that you have never been offered this option?

Would be great if all airlines adopted that policy! No, I have never been offered this.