Phuket lifeguards warn of Portuguese man-o-war

webfact

Phuket lifeguards warn of Portuguese man-o-war

The Phuket News

1501649261_1-org.jpg

Lifeguards at Nai Yang Beach on Phuket’s northwest coast have issued a warning for Portuguese man-o-war after one of the potentially deadly species washed up on the beach yesterday (Aug 1). Photos: Phuket LIfeguard Service

PHUKET: -- Lifeguards at Nai Yang Beach on Phuket’s northwest coast have issued a warning for Portuguese man-o-war after one of the potentially deadly species washed up on the beach yesterday (Aug 1).

“Even we found just one, we still we need to warn all swimmers to be aware of them,” the Phuket Lifeguard Service posted on their Facebook page.

The island’s lifeguards last warned about Portuguese man-o-war washing ashore Phuket’s beaches in June, when the stinging siphonophores were found on Nai Thon Beach.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguards-warn-of-portuguese-man-o-war-63288.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-02

Sounds like scaremongering to me:   "deadly" is somewhat of an exaggeration.

Sure, they sting, and could be someone has an allergy, but they were common enough when I was swimming in Australia.

They are NOT box jelly fish which are deadly.

5 minutes ago, masuk said:

Sounds like scaremongering to me:   "deadly" is somewhat of an exaggeration.

Sure, they sting, and could be someone has an allergy, but they were common enough when I was swimming in Australia.

They are NOT box jelly fish which are deadly.

National Geographic does not concur with your opinion.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/animals-science-portuguese-man-of-war-venom/

In some circumstances these jellyfish are "Deadly".