Marriage help needed

mike1983

Hi all, I looking to marry my Thai girlfriend in Thailand at an Amphur, I am a U.K citizen.

What I'm looking for is someone to give me a comprehensive guide to everything I will need to do before I leave the u.k and then what I have to do once in Thailand to be able to marry, I'm aware there are a few hoops I've got to jump through I'm just not entirely sure and would appreciate any guides that could help me.

Cheers

Thank you for the responses thus far, can anybody supply address for the embassy to obtain a freedom to marry form and also an address for the mof at which to get it stamped.

Getting the document translated isn't a problem as I already use a translator in the Bangkok area.

Also if anyone has any idea of the fees ect for the multiple things I need to do that would be really helpful, I would like to be as prepared as possible once I arrive so I can crack on.

Cheers

1 minute ago, mike1983 said:

Thank you for the responses thus far, can anybody supply address for the embassy to obtain a freedom to marry form and also an address for the mof at which to get it stamped

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

It is much easier to pay a small fee to the translation service who will then get the translation certified at the MFA.

1 hour ago, Here2008 said:

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

It is much easier to pay a small fee to the translation service who will then get the translation certified at the MFA.

How does that work? Would I get the application from UK ebassey, then go to a translation company and ask them to get it certified, then once it's certified I'm free to go to an amphur and marry? (In theory it's cutting out a trip to the mof for myself?) If thats the case what's the turn around for them to complete that process? I'm hoping to be able to get everything sorted and wed within the first few days of arriving in Bangkok so then we can plod on enjoying the rest of my time there (duping to her home in Khon Kaen.

Sorry so many questions but I'm not great at soaking info in, I'd just like to make it as easy and cost effective as possible once I land.

Thanks

On 08/08/2017 at 10:55 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not sure how much experience you have in Thailand, but, as one been there, done that, got the divorce, I hope you are considering a pre nup, and discussing such things as sin sod, children, owning or renting accommodation, where to live etc etc BEFORE getting married.

Hi, a little experience my father was once married to a thai lady (I know crazy, they've since divorced......

We've discussed sin sod ect yeah but more focused on starting a life together first, and that can come at a later date, I know that's alot different from the traditional way but my partner knows I'm a simple man that lives a normal life with a normal job not self employed and I she knows I don't have buddies of money at my disposal. I'm only 34 and she's only 32. We plan to be together and start a family as soon as we are able. I won't be moving to thailand anytime soon so we would both like to enjoy a future together in the UK so it's one step at a time for now.

In my eyes there is no reason to be in a relationship with her being so far away if we don't share the same interest of being together.

On 08/08/2017 at 10:55 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not sure how much experience you have in Thailand, but, as one been there, done that, got the divorce, I hope you are considering a pre nup, and discussing such things as sin sod, children, owning or renting accommodation, where to live etc etc BEFORE getting married.

If you do have experience of the costs and how too's of a pre nup in Thailand i would gratefully welcome your knowlege.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but I was told that if you marry in Thailand then any assets before marriage would remain your own?

I do own a home and a car but like previously stated I'm just a normal guy who doesn't have wads stashed away in the bank.

If or when my partner is able to join me in the u.k I would still be paying all bills associated with the house using my own bank account, she would be getting her own bank account and job ect.

1 hour ago, mike1983 said:

Hi, not sure what "it matters" is referring to??? Nope I've never been married.

If you have been married before you would have to bring either your degree absolute or the death certificate of your wife to the Embassy.

You are going to obtain a document stating you are free to marry, and the Consul or Vice-Consul would request such documents.

As you have stated, however, this doesn't apply in your case. I thought to check though as you don't want to get to Thailand and not have a document you need.

57 minutes ago, blackcab said:

If you have been married before you would have to bring either your degree absolute or the death certificate of your wife to the Embassy.

You are going to obtain a document stating you are free to marry, and the Consul or Vice-Consul would request such documents.

As you have stated, however, this doesn't apply in your case. I thought to check though as you don't want to get to Thailand and not have a document you need.

Thanks for the reply 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:31 PM, mike1983 said:

If you do have experience of the costs and how too's of a pre nup in Thailand i would gratefully welcome your knowlege.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but I was told that if you marry in Thailand then any assets before marriage would remain your own?

I do own a home and a car but like previously stated I'm just a normal guy who doesn't have wads stashed away in the bank.

If or when my partner is able to join me in the u.k I would still be paying all bills associated with the house using my own bank account, she would be getting her own bank account and job ect.

I didn't do one, and I was lucky that my ex agreed to a quicky divorce ( plus she would have lost all the money I loaned her ), but had she wanted more than she already got out of me I would have regretted not getting one.

However, I doubt a Thai prenup would be valid in the UK.