The wait is over - Pattaya road tunnel set to open August 25th

webfact

The wait is over - Pattaya road tunnel set to open August 25th

21pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

PATTAYA: -- The much delayed and talked about Pattaya tunnel is scheduled to open on August 25th.

A press conference was held yesterday to announce the momentous news that the 840 million baht project was finally done.

Though the local authority admitted that the problem of "experts" to run it had still not been sorted, they were going to open it all the same.

Spokesman Phinit Maneerat with the chief engineer Sunthorn Sompramai at his side said that the Department of Rural Roads had given the green light to Pattaya mayor Anan Charoenchasri.

Building started in 2014. In February it looked like it was nearing completion but there were more delays.

2pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

In May it was announced they needed to find experts to run its systems.

The local authority have decided that the builders will do that in the meantime before a more permanent solution is found.

Tnews said that the tunnel is a key component in helping to alleviate traffic congestion in Pattaya.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-03

2 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Are these experts - experts with pumps ?

Thailand has few experts, I can think of only a couple of Golfers and a Badminton player.......

One of the World's top cardiovascular surgeons operating in the US is Thai. My Professor at Uni in the UK many years ago was an expert in fluid dynamics, he's Thai.  

3 years and 840 million and for what?  To make the traffic flow faster?  It will all be undone when cops tinker with the traffic lights to allow vendors to peddle their wares in return for a share of the profits.

Look at the lights outside the cop shop just before The Ambassador.  It is not unusual to see three hundred vehicles queuing on Suk whilst four bikes and a donkey cross.  + It's convenient to rob road users.

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

One of the World's top cardiovascular surgeons operating in the US is Thai. My Professor at Uni in the UK many years ago was an expert in fluid dynamics, he's Thai.  

US Thai not same same Thailand Thai .. And the ex'lecturer in fluid dynamics you speak of would he be available to turn on pumps .? as with the utmost respect he's abit overqualified to be sorting out flooding road tunnel's is he not .. 

4 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Are these experts - experts with pumps ?

Thailand has few experts, I can think of only a couple of Golfers and a Badminton player.......

The same line of reasoning would almost make us conclude that the average TV poster is a bored alcoholic of anglosaxon descent. Generalizations suck badly...

2 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

Open August 25.  This year?  I'll believe that when I see it.

I also have my doubts that this "tunnel" will improve traffic flow one little bit.

Traffic flow wont be improved until after the under the Tai and Threpasit intersections is finished.

2 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

The same line of reasoning would almost make us conclude that the average TV poster is a bored alcoholic of anglosaxon descent. Generalizations suck badly...

As you have some amply underlined Generalisations suck ( good choice of word that in this place ) I am of Anglo Saxon extraction but I'm not an alkey and boredom in my book is waiting around for the water ( effluent ) to subside after the latest round of flooding ( you really don't wanna be getting you're feet wet by some of the stuff that is getting puked out of the drains here ) But as we are playing the generalisations game who do this remind you of  :- inward looking , self serving , hypocritical , obfuscatious , contemptuous and just downright greedy .. Take a look around there's be plenty of examples .. :shock1:

As an ex fully qualified civil engineer, I see no need for anyone to "run" the underpass, and any accumulated water should easily be directed to an automatic sump pump which would discharge to a drain on Pattaya Klang whenever needed. The biggest problem I have observed here is above ground, and there is some miscalculation regarding the positioning of the traffic islands. If one is heading south one of the lanes just stops dead, quite unexpectedly, so rude ! The above ground configuration needs some adjustment :)

hahahahahaha funniest thing I've seen all day. Why do they always have to come in their pants prematurely and set themselves up for failure? Why not just wait a couple of weeks, see that it really is ready to open and then announce it?

What a total farce. And, as many posters have pointed out, what difference is it going to make? The only difference I can see is three years of hideous congestion and a massive waste of public money. 

22 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

As an ex fully qualified civil engineer, I see no need for anyone to "run" the underpass, and any accumulated water should easily be directed to an automatic sump pump which would discharge to a drain on Pattaya Klang whenever needed. The biggest problem I have observed here is above ground, and there is some miscalculation regarding the positioning of the traffic islands. If one is heading south one of the lanes just stops dead, quite unexpectedly, so rude ! The above ground configuration needs some adjustment :)

Dude this is Thailand you gotta remember they do things " differently " here .. 

The traffic will come to a grinding halt as they leave the Southbound tunnel straight into the police road block. Twice, that I know of, this week the police have set up their check point between Klang and Tai. Traffic was almost at a standstill. I don't think they realise that the almost billion baht spent was supposed to streamline the flow of traffic.