Video: Now we know why! Woman motorcyclist who failed to stop on the expressway has "mental issues"

webfact

Video: Now we know why! Woman motorcyclist who failed to stop on the expressway has "mental issues"

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A female motorcyclist who failed to stop on the expressway leading to Suvarabhumi airport confused many people online.

The footage was uploaded to Facebook from "Tum Na Pattalung" and showed the woman without helmet on the Buraphawithee expressway.

A highway patrol cop repeatedly tried to get her to stop but she just carried on seemingly without a care in the world.

Thai Rath online got in touch with Highway 4 cops who said that the woman was eventually stopped after leaving the expressway.

She was completely incoherent and no one could understand what she was saying.

However, relatives later turned up and said she was 29 and living in Chonburi. They said she had a mental illness and was being treated.

In the circumstance cops have not decided yet whether to prosecute her.

It is illegal for motorbikes to travel on the expressway.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-04

It's rather unfortunate that they can't separate the language for 'motorbikes' and 'scooters' or 'small bikes'.

Many worse activities every day on the 'spressways but there are never a hoard of boys on bikes to bring them to justice.

2 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

It's rather unfortunate that they can't separate the language for 'motorbikes' and 'scooters' or 'small bikes'.

Many worse activities every day on the 'spressways but there are never a hoard of boys on bikes to bring them to justice.

Yes it really is, big bikes should be allowed on the expressway. However be prepared for many foreigners saying they should not as they don't want to share this road with anyone. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes it really is, big bikes should be allowed on the expressway. However be prepared for many foreigners saying they should not as they don't want to share this road with anyone. 

A decent 125cc is quite capable of highway/expressway commute. 

It is not the types of vehicles to be concerned with, it is the lack of proper driver education that is making the roads lethal.

Just now, BasalBanality said:

A decent 125cc is quite capable of highway/expressway commute. 

It is not the types of vehicles to be concerned with, it is the lack of proper driver education that is making the roads lethal.

I don't agree, I drive a 135 cc and a 650 cc... a 135 would be hopelessly under-powered on the expressway. The speeds that are used there are often far in excess of that of what a 125cc can get to comfortably.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't agree, I drive a 135 cc and a 650 cc... a 135 would be hopelessly under-powered on the expressway. The speeds that are used there are often far in excess of that of what a 125cc can get to comfortably.

If one is to consider better driver education and enforcement of maximum speed limits between 80km/h ~110km/h on national highways, reduced road fatalities will enhance the upward mobility of the masses with 125cc scooters. 

We all have to start somewhere, don't we?

1 minute ago, BasalBanality said:

If one is to consider better driver education and enforcement of maximum speed limits between 80km/h ~110km/h on national highways, reduced road fatalities will enhance the upward mobility of the masses with 125cc scooters. 

We all have to start somewhere, don't we?

Better to start with big bikes who actually can keep up.. and then see how it progresses. 

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Better to start with big bikes who actually can keep up.. and then see how it progresses. 

Everyone covets a little privilege. It is only human. 

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

If you let bikes of any size on the expressways there would be carnage. 

So it's a no from me. 

Big bikes would not be a problem.. smal bikes.. that would give a lot of problems in general those on bigger bikes are much better at driving and they have the power to stay out of the way. This is something that happens all over the world.. big bikes are allowed on highways.. just not in Thailand. It makes no sense. It does make sense not to let those smaller bikes on it they just don't have the power and the people riding them are in general not as good as the ones on bigger bikers (there are off course always exceptions)

33 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

This happened on the Chonburi Motorway. 

Everyday lots of vehicles get pulled over on there. 

Pickups with uncovered loads

Pickups with passengers in back.

All sorts of reasons...mostly safety related. 

27823918481_3c64025eed.jpg

..and as we can see from the video they have motorcycle riders as well. 

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

In the Uk motorcycles over 50cc are allowed on the motorway, statistics show that there are fewer accidents involving motorcycles on motorways than on normal A or B roads, motorcycle accidents on motorways resulting in death account for only 1% - 2% of the total fatalities nationwide. I agree with BasalBanality that better driver education and enforcement of speed limits here would be a step in the right direction. There is a speed limit on motorways here which can be anything between 90 km ph and 120 km ph, unfortunately, most drivers here seem to think this is a minimum speed limit. 

Edited by sn1per
addition

18 minutes ago, sn1per said:

In the Uk motorcycles over 50cc are allowed on the motorway, statistics show that there are fewer accidents involving motorcycles on motorways than on normal A or B roads, motorcycle accidents on motorways resulting in death account for only 1% - 2% of the total fatalities nationwide. I agree with BasalBanality that better driver education and enforcement of speed limits here would be a step in the right direction. There is a speed limit on motorways here which can be anything between 90 km ph and 120 km ph, unfortunately, most drivers here seem to think this is a minimum speed limit. 

never mind changed my mind reply wise.

Edited by robblok

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

Pure conjecture. I see no evidence that bigger bike riders are better drivers. They just have more money.

Letting bikes of any size on the expressways will cause carnage. I think the bigger bikes would actually be more dangerous as they have the power to travel faster and weave in and out of fast moving traffic. 

You see no evidence.. guess you never drove a big bike yourself... I know your a GOM. 

The guys on bigger bikes that i encountered are far more safety minded (wear safety gear and take care how they drive). Of course as in any group there are idiots too. Also there is not a large group of big bikers so the impact would not be that big. 

If you don't drive well on a big bike you quickly take yourself out of the gene pool, they are more dangerous to handle.. so the fact that these guys are still alive show their skill. If you were to drive a big bike how the majority of Thais drive their small bikes you would be dead quite fast.

But don't worry your opinion about sharing the road with big bikes is exactly that of the elites.. they don't want to share it.. so it wont happen. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

In most other countries.. 50 cc would not be allowed on the roads.. UK is a bit strange in that, just look at Germany, France, Netherlands ect. 

yeah I also think that 50cc is too small to ride on the motorway, the law was brought in when motorways were first built in the UK, when the roads were a lot quieter and vehicles were not as powerful as those being manufactured nowadays, but my main point was the percentage of motorcycle deaths on motorways as opposed to that on "normal" roads.  

48 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Some of their "road rules" really are ignorant.

I would call them antiquated.

The basic road traffic law has not been amended/updated since 1979 !

Compare that to your country.

In Germany there is some new regulation/update every other year.

Just now, sn1per said:

yeah I also think that 50cc is too small to ride on the motorway, the law was brought in when motorways were first built in the UK, when the roads were a lot quieter and vehicles were not as powerful as those being manufactured nowadays, but my main point was the percentage of motorcycle deaths on motorways as opposed to that on "normal" roads.  

I get your point but there are other reasons for that too.. anyway we can discuss about this.. but not even big bikes will be allowed,. the elite does not like to share.

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Big bikes would not be a problem.. smal bikes.. that would give a lot of problems in general those on bigger bikes are much better at driving and they have the power to stay out of the way. This is something that happens all over the world.. big bikes are allowed on highways.. just not in Thailand. It makes no sense. It does make sense not to let those smaller bikes on it they just don't have the power and the people riding them are in general not as good as the ones on bigger bikers (there are off course always exceptions)

For the most part I agree. I've ridden my Harley all over the place and many of the highways are pretty decent, but I've found that people on the toll highways tend to drive waaaaaayyyyy faster than they do on a normal highway. I remember a friend "slowing down" to 160 because his wipers couldn't keep up with the torrential rain and I could barely see the highway at all (I think that was the only time I've ever put on my seat belt while riding in the back seat of a car) !

Other friends post pics of the tickets they've gotten for going 40+ km/hr over the limit.My g/f got yelled at by her mom when a photo-radar ticket showed up at her home, showing she'd been going well over 40km/hr above the limit as well.

Still, big bikes would be able to blend in with the current traffic without too many problems. Some will push the limits of course, just like a lot of car/truck drivers already do. It would save a lot of hassles getting around to some parts of the country and would earn the Highways department some extra coin from the tolls.

Big bikes are allowed on the Autobahn where the speed limit is literally "as fast as you can possibly go" (of course they also have accidents that result in 40-60 vehicles being involved as well). 

In Canada they restrict vehicles that are unable to do the speed limit (or 20 km/hr under the limit - something like that) to keep really slow stuff (like farm and heavy equipment and the like) off the main highways. Of course they are also very keen on handing out speeding tickets to anyone going more than 10km/hr over the posted limits, regardless of how nice of a day it is or how smooth, straight and traffic free the highway happens to be.

The problem in Thailand would be of course that the minute you let one motorbike onto the toll roads, everyone else in the country will assume it means they are allowed as well, even in their barely driveable food vendor set ups plodding along at 20 km/hr.

While most would be caught at the toll booths of course, a lot would slip through and it wouldn't be long before the tollways looked (traffic-wise) like pretty much every regular street/highway. Not to mention the problems with trying to shunt everyone that didn't belong off the tollways (without building additional ramps/roadways to allow them to get off). 

With enough education (and fines) eventually you would weed out most of the problems but it would take a long time. Just like how they've gotten most people to wear helmets now (on the main roads at least). 10 years ago nobody wore helmets anywhere ! Now most wear them (on the main streets and highways at least) and more are wearing them on the smaller streets as well. It takes time (and education and a whole lot of fines by the police) but eventually most people get the message.

It would be the same for the tollways I believe. Initially there'd be a surge of everything that had 2 wheels and still moved but after a couple years it would (hopefully) be down to just the occasional lost soul (or the ones who think they'll be able to sneak through).

(When I saw them putting up the toll booths on highway 7 heading out of Pattaya I was saddened. We almost always used to use that route to get out of Pattaya and over to #36 (and then on to the 3240 and 331 depending where we were heading). Same coming back. Making that turn onto the #7 for that last couple of clicks into the city was great but now we'll have to take a different route.) 

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I would call them antiquated.

The basic road traffic law has not been amended/updated since 1979 !

Compare that to your country.

In Germany there is some new regulation/update every other year.

Not exactly true.. did they not recently try to stop people riding in the back of pickups ? But in general one would expect more updates in traffic law. But it seems here the traffic law is not important.. no money in it why update it.

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

I heard that she was hired by the Hwy Police and will start work tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

For the most part I agree. I've ridden my Harley all over the place and many of the highways are pretty decent, but I've found that people on the toll highways tend to drive waaaaaayyyyy faster than they do on a normal highway. I remember a friend "slowing down" to 160 because his wipers couldn't keep up with the torrential rain and I could barely see the highway at all (I think that was the only time I've ever put on my seat belt while riding in the back seat of a car) !

Other friends post pics of the tickets they've gotten for going 40+ km/hr over the limit.My g/f got yelled at by her mom when a photo-radar ticket showed up at her home, showing she'd been going well over 40km/hr above the limit as well.

Still, big bikes would be able to blend in with the current traffic without too many problems. Some will push the limits of course, just like a lot of car/truck drivers already do. It would save a lot of hassles getting around to some parts of the country and would earn the Highways department some extra coin from the tolls.

Big bikes are allowed on the Autobahn where the speed limit is literally "as fast as you can possibly go" (of course they also have accidents that result in 40-60 vehicles being involved as well). 

In Canada they restrict vehicles that are unable to do the speed limit (or 20 km/hr under the limit - something like that) to keep really slow stuff (like farm and heavy equipment and the like) off the main highways. Of course they are also very keen on handing out speeding tickets to anyone going more than 10km/hr over the posted limits, regardless of how nice of a day it is or how smooth, straight and traffic free the highway happens to be.

The problem in Thailand would be of course that the minute you let one motorbike onto the toll roads, everyone else in the country will assume it means they are allowed as well, even in their barely driveable food vendor set ups plodding along at 20 km/hr.

While most would be caught at the toll booths of course, a lot would slip through and it wouldn't be long before the tollways looked (traffic-wise) like pretty much every regular street/highway. Not to mention the problems with trying to shunt everyone that didn't belong off the tollways (without building additional ramps/roadways to allow them to get off). 

With enough education (and fines) eventually you would weed out most of the problems but it would take a long time. Just like how they've gotten most people to wear helmets now (on the main roads at least). 10 years ago nobody wore helmets anywhere ! Now most wear them (on the main streets and highways at least) and more are wearing them on the smaller streets as well. It takes time (and education and a whole lot of fines by the police) but eventually most people get the message.

It would be the same for the tollways I believe. Initially there'd be a surge of everything that had 2 wheels and still moved but after a couple years it would (hopefully) be down to just the occasional lost soul (or the ones who think they'll be able to sneak through).

(When I saw them putting up the toll booths on highway 7 heading out of Pattaya I was saddened. We almost always used to use that route to get out of Pattaya and over to #36 (and then on to the 3240 and 331 depending where we were heading). Same coming back. Making that turn onto the #7 for that last couple of clicks into the city was great but now we'll have to take a different route.) 

I don't even try to get to Pattaya on a bike, too many places I can't go along the way (North BKK). I just take the car, had i been allowed everywhere on the bike I might have taken the bike. I think i would drive faster in the car then on my bike, on my 650cc i almost never drive 140 in the car going to Pattaya i drive it almost all the time 

The bike can probably go faster then the car still, I wont do it.. feel too vulnerable ( i know at 120 I am dead too.. just a funny thing that over certain speeds I feel unsafe)

Edited by robblok

6 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

where's the video?

On page one, didn't you see it...... let me know when you are out and about driving please  :cheesy:

Edited by sn1per
grammar