New AIS Fibre promotion

arkom

Saw on AIS Facebook they have a new package called Power4.  Most interesting is the 100/40 at 1799 THB and 200/50 package and 1999 THB.  Both comes with AIS Platinum HD free for 1 year. Gave them a call and they said existing customers can switch after Aug. 10.

Details here: http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/power4pack/en/index.html?intcid=homepage-en-herobanner-fibrepower4pack.

After checking the offer, 50/20 seems good.

799 thb gives you 50/20 + 4mbps AIS unlimited data 3g/4g which is 450thb+VAT + ais super wifi (not included in 450 baht 4mbps unlimited pack normally) + IPTV.

However other speeds are expensive as hell.

I might change to this one from 3BB 50/20 (700 + VAT)

edit: It seems I need more coffee.

50/20 IPTV platinum is just 3 months? and hooq is for 12 months again?

3G/4G package is only for 12 months?? Means it is not permanent.

they also introduced 650 baht entry fee? which was free before.

1. Power4 up to 50 Mbps package get free trial with HooQ up to 12 months. Charges of 119 baht/month (excluding VAT) will apply after 13th month onwards. To cancel, please contact 1185 in advance 30 days before the end of free period.
  2. Power4 up to 50/20 Mbps package get free Platinum Full HD for 3 months. Charges of 899 baht/month (excluding VAT) will apply after 4th month onwards. To cancel, please contact 1185 before the end of free period.
Edited by muratremix

9 hours ago, muratremix said:

After checking the offer, 50/20 seems good.

799 thb gives you 50/20 + 4mbps AIS unlimited data 3g/4g which is 450thb+VAT + ais super wifi (not included in 450 baht 4mbps unlimited pack normally) + IPTV.

However other speeds are expensive as hell.

I might change to this one from 3BB 50/20 (700 + VAT)

edit: It seems I need more coffee.

50/20 IPTV platinum is just 3 months? and hooq is for 12 months again?

3G/4G package is only for 12 months?? Means it is not permanent.

they also introduced 650 baht entry fee? which was free before.

1. Power4 up to 50 Mbps package get free trial with HooQ up to 12 months. Charges of 119 baht/month (excluding VAT) will apply after 13th month onwards. To cancel, please contact 1185 in advance 30 days before the end of free period.
  2. Power4 up to 50/20 Mbps package get free Platinum Full HD for 3 months. Charges of 899 baht/month (excluding VAT) will apply after 4th month onwards. To cancel, please contact 1185 before the end of free period.

Are you saying the 50/20 plan listed for Bt799 is really Bt799 "plus" another Bt450 for mobile vs Bt779 being the total basic cost before 7% VAT and any calls/SMSs/MMSs you might make.   If so, where does it say you pay another Bt450 for the mobile?   Or are you saying the mobile data plan they include with the 4Plan just happens to be worth/matches a separate mobile data plan AIS sells for Bt450.

In the small notes it talks the unlimited mobile data at X-speed plus Bt1.5 per call, Bt2 per SMS, and Bt3 per MMS which to me means if you don't initiate any calls, SMS's, or MMS's there wouldn't even be a charge for the mobile usage per month....just the Bt799 charge for the overall plan consisting of home internet, IPTV/Premium channels/HooQ, mobile data, and Wifi.

I meant 799 gives you 450 thb+vat package for free for 12 months, which is great.

However, this promo is only for 12 months and you'll probably end up paying 450 or 500 baht (in postpaid) if you keep sim card after 12 months promo.

450 for 1-2 call and 500 for postpaid, and they give you postpaid.

I wish they made it permanent. I'm pretty happy with 4mbps unlimited ais performance in mobile.

Heck, most promotions are usually the standard 12 month period and after that 12 months many times the promotion pricing remains that way until you change to another promotion.  It's not like at month 13th there is definitely going to be a pricing change. That's been my experience after almost a decade of signing-up for internet, mobile and TV promotions in Thailand with companies like True, DTAC, and so far over 13 months with AIS Fibre.   

Now, if somewhere in the promotion it says a certain part of the promotion will no longer be free after the 12 month and as of the 13th month it will cost so much....or something costs X-amount for first 3 months and then the price changes to the X amount starting the 4th month, then that will happen....the promotion is being upfront about that.  This particular AIS 4Plan promotion is pretty specific in when parts of it will definitely change in price.

But when they don't say anything specifically about a price change beginning on month X, then chances are high come the end of the promotion period the promotion and pricing will stay the same for you...that promotion is pretty much locked/cemented in place for you until you change to another promotion.   That promotion is no longer available for anyone...it just stays unchanged for those who took advantage of the promotion when it became available.   And many times future promotions get better and/or cheaper and you are ready to change promotion anyway.

Not saying all promotions are like that....but that's been my experience so far.

well

Power4 up to 50 Mbps package get free trial with HooQ up to 12 months. Charges of 119 baht/month (excluding VAT) will apply after 13th month onwards. To cancel, please contact 1185 in advance 30 days before the end of free period.

so here goes free IPTV after 12 months.

AIS Postpaid Service:

1. This package for customers who subscribe Power4 package and open new AIS Postpaid only.
  2. This package is invalid (they mean valid) for up to 12 billing cycles and will end with AIS Fibre Power4 package.
  3. Unlimited Internet access for 4G/3G. Applicable at speeds up to 1Mbps, 4Mbps and 6Mbps for 400, 500 and 600 packages respectively.

So they'll charge 500 thb starting 13th month.

I wish they just offer higher speeds like 3BB without all these drama and promotion bullshit.

HooQ is a separate app & pricing for movies/TV shows....it comes with a lot of AIS Fibre plans.  The IPTV/premium channels is different/separate from HooQ.  The basic IPTV is standard issue/free when you get a plan with the AIS Playbox like the 4Plan.

And I bet the premium channels would continue after the 12th month for the 100/40 and 200/50 plan based on the 4Plan pricing because when using the price of a competitor (3BB) who has a 200/100 plan for only Bt1200, the AIS pricing must have built-in continued premium channels (HBO) and/or the mobile plan, otherwise, they basically have an internet plan much, much more expensive than their competitors....so much more expensive people would drop the plan.

Regarding the PostPaid service ending after  up to 12 billing cycles...to me, that's basically saying the standard-issue 12 month promotion in a different way...and as mentioned in my earlier post all too often after the 12 month promotion period things continue as is unless it specifically says starting on month 13th the price goes to, which this 4Power plan does not say....like saying on the 13th month the price goes to.

Maybe someone has just signed up for the 4Power plan, read these posts, and will give us an update in around 12 to 13 months as to how it turned out pricing-wise.  But based on my experience with True and DTAC with their 12 month plans, after the 12 month plan the plan and pricing remained the same although they inferred like after 12 months pricing would change but it didn't....but maybe AIS will be different (or not).

Edited by Pib

I have an AIS 50/20 deal but, according to SpeedOf.Me, I am currently getting 20.4Mbps/11.69Mbps.

The speedtest.net by Ookla shows 51.01/11.82.

I'm told the SpeedOf.Me reading is more realistic but the reasoning is beyond my ken.

Our Pattaya condo is 10th floor - some say that may be problematic.

38 minutes ago, sloperating said:

I have an AIS 50/20 deal but, according to SpeedOf.Me, I am currently getting 20.4Mbps/11.69Mbps.

I'm told the SpeedOf.Me reading is more realistic but the reasoning is beyond my ken.

Just how fast and what kind of speed your "tests" will show depends on where the servers are located that you are running the test from .... i.e. if you run the test from Bangkok servers you will get high speeds ... if you run the test from lets say London UK servers you will get a low speed, but it will be more realistic as to what your internet is capable of .... for instance if you use internet for just roaming around Thailand and contacting people then low speed not really a problem but if you use internet for movie and such slow speed a problem ... for instance if you have a KODI box you will need high speed (at least a 6) when testing from UK London servers ... to test your internet from different servers in different locations around the world use http://testmy.net/download

In the upper right hand corner you will see a label called "extras" run your mouse icon/pointer over it and a list will appear, click on "speed test servers" and 12 different server locations will appear, use them to check how realistic your internet speed is .... like I said earlier use UK London server for test if you wanna know just how good your ISP is provider

I'm 

1 hour ago, sloperating said:

I'm on AIS 100/10 and if using Speedof.me I always get around 20 to 25Mb also.  That's because Speedof.me is a "single thread" tester and apparently AIS limits each thread to approx 20 to 25Mb.  But test with Speedtest.net and other multithread testers I get over 100/10....around 102/12Mb...which is the full speed of my 100/10 plan.

But Speadtest.net is a multi-thread tester which means it uses multithread connections (a.k.a., multistream), usually 2 to 4 threads but can go up to 8 threads, to test your connection.  Therefore, you can test to the full speed of your plan.

The number of threads used, how large of a pipe is allowed per thread/stream by your Internet Service Provider, and the server you are testing to all have a part in what speed results you will get.

Edited by Pib

9 hours ago, sloperating said:

You got AIS fiber at 10th floor ?!

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

They told me that too.... Now I'm using Fibre on the 8th  

Who knew.... 

When you say Fibre on the 8th floor is a fiber optics cable hooking into your router?    The fibre optics cable would be round and about the diameter of a fat piece of spaghetti.   And that fiber optics cable may hook into the router on the bottom side of the router vs the typical back side of the router.

Or, do you have a phone line/LAN type line running from the wall outlet to your router?   That line would most likely plug into the backside of the router just like you plug in a line into a typical xDSL router, phone line into a phone, etc.

AIS Fibre uses two types of routers...one is a fibre optics router and one is a VDSL router:

1) a fibre optics router where a fibre optics cable actually connect to it....it's a fibre optics connection all the way from the outside to your router.   If so, a person could have an AIS Fibre plan going up to 1000Mb in speed is desired and willing to pay the price  for a 1000Mb speed plan.

2)  a VDSL router....the fibre optics cable terminates on the ground floor of a highrise where an electronic devices converts the fibre optics signals to a VDSL signal....and then that VDSL is feed into the phone/DSL lines that always been in the highrise where it ends up hooking into your VDSL router that will still say AIS Fibre on it.   In this case the "AIS Fibre" on the router does not mean it's a fiber optics router with a fiber optics cable hooked to it....it just means the router was provided by AIS Fibre.  Max speed plan available when using VDSL in the final meters of the AIS Fibre run is around 75Mb if you have a really good copper line in the building....and that speed limitation is simply due to technical limitations of the VDSL standard where approx 90 to 100Mb is the max speed possible on a good copper line run (i.e., no corrosion, no splices, solid connections, high quality wire, etc).  Most internet companies don't even attempt 75Mb over VDSL....most will just offer VDSL plans up to 50Mb.

8 hours ago, speedtripler said:

They told me that too.... Now I'm using Fibre on the 8th  

Who knew.... 

This is in Pattaya?

If so, who did you contact for the installation since the staff at the True shops in Pattaya automatically say it isn't possible?

4 hours ago, Pib said:

2)  a VDSL router....the fibre optics cable terminates on the ground floor of a highrise where an electronic devices converts the fibre optics signals to a VDSL signal....and then that VDSL is feed into the phone/DSL lines that always been in the highrise where it ends up hooking into your VDSL router that will still say AIS Fibre on it.   In this case the "AIS Fibre" on the router does not mean it's a fiber optics router with a fiber optics cable hooked to it....it just means the router was provided by AIS Fibre.  Max speed plan available when using VDSL in the final meters of the AIS Fibre run is around 75Mb if you have a really good copper line in the building....and that speed limitation is simply due to technical limitations of the VDSL standard where approx 90 to 100Mb is the max speed possible on a good copper line run (i.e., no corrosion, no splices, solid connections, high quality wire, etc).  Most internet companies don't even attempt 75Mb over VDSL....most will just offer VDSL plans up to 50Mb.

If that really is a viable option, and it certainly sounds like it is, why on earth don't the staff in True and 3BB shops offer it? 

50 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

This is in Pattaya?

If so, who did you contact for the installation since the staff at the True shops in Pattaya automatically say it isn't possible?

Im in bkk but Fibre doesn't care if it goes upwards or sidewards and also Fibre doesn't know if it's in bkk or pattaya... (they initially told me that Fibre "cannot"  work above the second floor) 

Don't take no for an answer the first few times, also try at several companies, they have different reasons and ideas about installations, depending on who you talk to and what mood they are in

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

If that really is a viable option, and it certainly sounds like it is, why on earth don't the staff in True and 3BB shops offer it? 

Maybe because management of the highrise doesn't allow True or 3BB into their building; maybe another internet provider has sole rights to the building.   Lots of areas/buildings where there is only "one" internet provider....one cable TV/internet provider, etc.

And when it comes to running new lines in a building, it all depends on how the  building was constructed.   If there are large, easy to get to conduits to put in new lines (and building management allows it), running a new line (fiber, coax, phone/DSL line, etc) shouldn't be hard.  But if the lines was enclosed in half-inch PVC pipe in the walls, it's practically impossible to weave new lines into that PVC pipe that no doubt makes numerous 90 degrees turns.  And if an internet tech is going to have to crawl around inside building shafts  they are probably not going to do  it from a company safety standpoint.

Now I know True runs high speed internet in Bangkok highrises and that internet is usually "cable/DOCSIS" that carries TV and/or internet....you know, the round, pencil diameter TV type cable.  Cable that was built into the building because TV has been around for a long time.  Newer highrises have fiber infrastructure also.

Summary: it depends on building wiring infrastructure and if an internet provider has rights granted by building management to install in the building.

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

Im in bkk but Fibre doesn't care if it goes upwards or sidewards and also Fibre doesn't know if it's in bkk or pattaya... (they initially told me that Fibre "cannot"  work above the second floor) 

Don't take no for an answer the first few times, also try at several companies, they have different reasons and ideas about installations, depending on who you talk to and what mood they are in

Again asking, although your AIS router says AIS Fibre on it do you have a fibre optics router with a fiber optics cable feeding directly into it OR do you have a VDSL router with a phone/DSL type line feeding directly into the router?

Remember, the router will still say AIS Fibre on it but that does not necessarily mean you have a fibre optics run all the way to your residence/router; instead, it could be a a fiber optics run to the ground floor of your highrise where the fibre terminates and is then converted to a VDSL line run (i.e,, phone line) to your residence on floor XYZ.   This kind of setup is called Fibre-to-the-Building (FTTB) (i.e., just to the ground floor telecommunication cabinet).  Fibre optics all the way to your residence/router is called Fibre-to-the-Home.

Picture of Fibre to the Node (FTTN), Fibre to the Curb (FTTC), Fibre to the Building (FTTB), and Fibre to the Home (FTTH).  Note: in FTTH there is no short metallic copper run as indicated below as the fibre optics goes all the way to your router.

Capture.JPG.f9aafe40c99059228891ae26551392bf.JPG

17 minutes ago, Pib said:

Maybe because management of the highrise doesn't allow True or 3BB into their building; maybe another internet provider has sole rights to the building.   Lots of areas/buildings where there is only "one" internet provider....one cable TV/internet provider, etc.

And when it comes to running new lines in a building, it all depends on how the  building was constructed.   If there are large, easy to get to conduits to put in new lines (and building management allows it), running a new line (fiber, coax, phone/DSL line, etc) shouldn't be hard.  But if the lines was enclosed in half-inch PVC pipe in the walls, it's practically impossible to weave new lines into that PVC pipe that no doubt makes numerous 90 degrees turns.  And if an internet tech is going to have to crawl around inside building shafts  they are probably not going to do  it from a company safety standpoint.

Now I know True runs high speed internet in Bangkok highrises and that internet is usually "cable/DOCSIS" that carries TV and/or internet....you know, the round, pencil diameter TV type cable.  Cable that was built into the building because TV has been around for a long time.  Newer highrises have fiber infrastructure also.

Summary: it depends on building wiring infrastructure and if an internet provider has rights granted by building management to install in the building.

Sometimes I have run into this in the past, one company figures out they can't install because another company has been either given a contract or owns rights to the infrastructure etc 

It may even be someone. Like the juristic person gets commission from company A so  you can only install that and company B and C are not allowed

Other times it can totally depend on the installer and paying a bit extra might help 

Fibre doesn't need to go all the way into your living room btw (you can still get great speeds if it comes into a box outside  or into the groundfloor and go upstairs by coax or copper line or whatever you have available) 

The technical limitations are only that Fibre can't make sharp  90degree  or more turns like copper, it being unable to work higher than the second floor is a common misconception that they tell people for whatever reason if its not a simple installation I think the default answer is NO

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

Again asking, although your AIS router says AIS Fibre on it do you have a fibre optics router with a fiber optics cable feeding directly into it OR do you have a VDSL router with a phone/DSL type line feeding directly into the router?

Remember, the router will still say AIS Fibre on it but that does not necessarily mean you have a fibre optics run all the way to your residence/router; instead, it could be a a fiber optics run to the ground floor of your highrise where the fibre terminates and is then converted to a VDSL line run (i.e,, phone line) to your residence on floor XYZ.   This kind of setup is called Fibre-to-the-Building (FTTB) (i.e., just to the ground floor telecommunication cabinet).  Fibre optics all the way to your residence/router is called Fibre-to-the-Home.

Picture of Fibre to the Node (FTTN), Fibre to the Curb (FTTC), Fibre to the Building (FTTB), and Fibre to the Home (FTTH).  Note: in FTTH there is no short metallic copper run as indicated below as the fibre optics goes all the way to your router.

Capture.JPG.f9aafe40c99059228891ae26551392bf.JPG

Fibre to the Home is optimal but can be harder to get (but the highest speeds) 

I have 100/30 but it usually gets 138/38

(this is the fastest package true could sell me) 

They use  the docsis 3.0 modem connected to a coax cable to run it into living room but this is capable of max 300MB

I dont know how many floors it can go up before speed loss becomes an issue but I guess people on the 40th can probably get it too

Edited by speedtripler

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

Been there, done that.  Been there, done that.  Been there, done that.  Been there, done that.  And, based on reports from other Pattaya members, they have, too.

29 minutes ago, Pib said:

At least two Jomtien buildings I know do not block out True and/or 3BB.  One building that I looked at, the management office in the lobby said they would let any provider provide any type of service.  The building I bought in, and live in now, allows 3BB ADSL so why wouldn't they be able to use the same copper wire for VDSL?  The building will even run new phone lines from the ground floor to my unit upon request (and payment.)  The building let a local cable TV provider run *fibre* up to my unit.  So, it's not the building restricting 3BB (and, I'm guessing: True). 

It's an automatic knee-jerk reaction when you go to 3BB/True offices in Pattaya:  "Sorry, no condos."

7 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Fibre to the Home is optimal but can be harder to get (but the highest speeds) 

I have 100/30 but it usually gets 138/38

(this is the fastest package true could sell me) 

They use  the docsis 3.0 modem connected to a coax cable to run it into living room but this is capable of max 300MB

I dont know how many floors it can go up before speed loss becomes an issue but I guess people on the 40th can probably get it too

OK, you don't have AIS Fibre....you don't have fibre optics internet.    Your earlier posts implied to me you had AIS Fibre and had a fibre optics  run to your residence in a highrise.

Instead, as you state above you have the TrueOnline 100/30 Plan which is provided by DOCSIS/cable modem over the TV coax cable that was already built into the highrise.    For about 5 years I had a TrueOnline connection to my house in a moobaan here in Bangkok but switched to AIS Fibre to the Home 13 months ago when AIS Fibre came to my moobaan.  

Now, my western Bangkok moobaan it now has a choice of 3 internet provides.  When I first moved to the moobaan 9 years ago it only had only one choice and that was TOT ADSL.   Then in mid 2012 True put DOCSIS cable TV/internet came to the moobaan which I switched to....moobaan now had 2 internet provides.  And mid last year/2016 AIS Fibre came to my moobaan and I switched to them....we now have 3 internet providers.   Mentioning this just as an example of how an area/building will not have unlimited choices for internet providers....the choice(s) will depend on which internet provider has rights to the area/moobaan...and by rights I mean building/moobaan management allows them in, assuming the internet provider wants to come in.  

And a certain internet provider may not want to come in figuring there is too much competition already and/or just don't want to invest in the infrastructure needed to provide service to a building/area.  Like in my case,  you can get 3BB fibre optics internet "right outside" my moobaan but not inside....3BB does not come into the moobaan....probably because they figure there would be too much competition (not worth the  investment) with 3 providers already servicing my moobaan, especally with True DOCSIS/cable and AIS Fibre already servicing the moobaan.

25 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

The building I bought in, and live in now, allows 3BB ADSL so why wouldn't they be able to use the same copper wire for VDSL?  

The lines may not be good enough for highspeed VDSL....to many splices, switches, old wiring, etc.   ADSL can provide service up to around 20Mb max; VDSL takes over in the over 20Mb to approx 75Mb range.  Above 75Mb you are now into use DOCSIS/Cable or fibre optics plans.

Or it may be 3BB does not have VDSL capability in your area as different trunk line equipment/cabinets are required and 3BB just does not want to make a VDSL investment in your area/for your building. 

Like in my moobaan TOT only provides ADSL service up to 20Mb; no VDSL service...probably because they don't want to make the investment plus nobody would probably sign up for the TOT VDSL service since my moobaan also now has better/cheaper TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable and AIS Fibre optics service.   I'm pretty sure once True and AIS moved into my moobaan that TOT lost durn near all their internet customers in the moobaan.....went from having all the customers when they were the only provider to now having few internet customers when better/cheaper/faster providers came to the moobaan.

@Pib:  3BB offers VDSL service in my condo building.

Hence, I'm baffled why they don't suggest (when asked for fibre service) FTTB and then <75Mbps via VDSL wire to the condo rooms.  The building will string new wires to the rooms if paid for.

Edited by wpcoe

53 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

@Pib:  3BB offers VDSL service in my condo building.

Hence, I'm baffled why they don't suggest (when asked for fibre service) FTTB and then <75Mbps via VDSL wire to the condo rooms.  The building will string new wires to the rooms if paid for.

Because maybe their VDSL service does not incorporate fibre.....maybe it's VDSL all the way from their local central office (telecommunications building housing equipment servicing the area).  Or maybe it's Fiber to the Node (FTTN) and that Node (cabinet) is hundreds of meters away from the building and 3BB don't want to try to put "fiber" in the name of their plan.

Now, TrueOnline has no problem freely using the "fiber" word in their high speed plans, even when fiber optics is not being used close to your house/building.  

Like their "True Super Speed Fiber Plans" which are either DOCSIS/cable or actually fiber optics.  Which one it will be (cable or fiber) depends on what they have installed in your local area.  Now although DOCSIS/Cable is run local locally on coaxial cable on the soi trunk line and right into your residence,  I expect that DOCSIS trunk line does connect to a higher capacity trunk line upsteam that is fiber optics.  

So, technically True is not lying since fiber optics is used somewhere upstream within a few kilometers or your residence.   Around three years ago True advertised its DOCSIS/cable internet as DOCSIS/cable, but one day they changed the name of the plans to "Super Speed Fiber" because Fiber is a buzz word everyone relates  to high speed....but saying DOCSIS/cable just goes over most folks head.