New AIS Fibre promotion

arkom

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Because maybe their VDSL service does not incorporate fibre.....maybe it's VDSL all the way from their local central office (telecommunications building housing equipment servicing the area).  Or maybe it's Fiber to the Node (FTTN) and that Node (cabinet) is hundreds of meters away from the building and 3BB don't want to try to put "fiber" in the name of their plan.

Now, TrueOnline has no problem freely using the "fiber" word in their high speed plans, even when fiber optics is not being used close to your house/building.  

Like their "True Super Speed Fiber Plans" which are either DOCSIS/cable or actually fiber optics.  Which one it will be (cable or fiber) depends on what they have installed in your local area.  Now although DOCSIS/Cable is run local locally on coaxial cable on the soi trunk line and right into your residence,  I expect that DOCSIS trunk line does connect to a higher capacity trunk line upsteam that is fiber optics.  

So, technically True is not lying since fiber optics is used somewhere upstream within a few kilometers or your residence.   Around three years ago True advertised its DOCSIS/cable internet as DOCSIS/cable, but one day they changed the name of the plans to "Super Speed Fiber" because Fiber is a buzz word everyone relates  to high speed....but saying DOCSIS/cable just goes over most folks head. 

That's the one I have, 

They call it Fibre and it probably is tied into Fibre outside  but docsis 3.0  model on coax into your living room (max 300/70)

TSSF_50-Mbps-(Aug)_info-page.thumb.jpg.210c8017a5f2620d8def36ef751a160d.jpg

I think pure ftth is capable of 10 GB/ps now but that would be overkill, even by my standards :D

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

At least two Jomtien buildings I know do not block out True and/or 3BB.  One building that I looked at, the management office in the lobby said they would let any provider provide any type of service.  The building I bought in, and live in now, allows 3BB ADSL so why wouldn't they be able to use the same copper wire for VDSL?  The building will even run new phone lines from the ground floor to my unit upon request (and payment.)  The building let a local cable TV provider run *fibre* up to my unit.  So, it's not the building restricting 3BB (and, I'm guessing: True). 

They can use the same phone wires for VDSL (assuming that they are in reasonably good condition). The stumbling block for 3BB in your building will probably be the same as in mine: they were waiting for the fibre to be installed to the service point (cabinet) outside the building. Once that is in place they can connect your existing ADSL line to their VDSL modems in the fibre cabinet. This avoids them having to go inside the building at all, which is what they particularly want to avoid. Any quality issues with the phone cable between their cabinet and your unit can be resolved by your building's technicians. That phone cable belongs to your building, so it is normal that the building should maintain it.

Your local cable TV provider will surely have an existing relationship and contract with your building, and it will also have to have various bits of fibre equipment permanently installed in some common areas of the building, and these will have to be powered. If they also provide some shared wifi in your building (which they often do) then this equipment will already be in place and would just require beefing up.

Not something that 3BB (or True etc) would consider for a one-off installation, and neither would I. I imagine that if 3BB or True or any other ISP was approached by your committee to provide a service to many interested parties then the ISP would look at it in a very different light and would surely agree if enough people were interested.

Edited by KittenKong