Another community falls for river promenade

webfact

Another community falls for river promenade

By The Nation

b1468177dccf92f0a4ef0814a3ba94e8-sld.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Demolition of riverside homes in Bangkok’s Wat Thewarat Kunchorn community began on Wednesday, the latest area to be cleared to make way for the controversial “Chao Phraya for All” promenade.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) workers are pulling down the mainly wooden structures along Soi Sri Ayutthaya 21 in Dusit district. 

Told that their homes were illegally encroaching onto the river, the owners and tenants have agreed to move elsewhere.

Nine piers and 273 homes in 14 communities along both sides of the river are targeted for demolition. 

7661fb80331a828217dcddd9d01d0365.jpg

Five communities were cleared in July – two in Dusit, two in Bang Plat and one in Bang Sue.

Construction of the promenade is to begin next month, with the first phase covering 14 kilometres. Touted as a tourist attraction, it has drawn criticism from city residents as being little more than a broad concrete pathway that will intrude into the river further than any existing homes, possibly impeding waterborne traffic.

8f80ff3ee6479b83dd2e536a0b91baeb.jpg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30323294

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-09

And, if they narrow the river with the promenade, the river will need to either flow faster or higher instead ..... Hope the promenade has a high wall riverside ......  or it will flood somewhere else more.

6 hours ago, thhMan said:

Is it a river or sewage?

It starts out at one end as a river, and becomes a mix at the other.

These are illegal squatter type structures and cleaning the area up is a a positive move for a City trying to upgrade itself.

I hope those displaced are given every assistance.

8 minutes ago, SouthernDelight said:

"... homes were illegally encroaching onto the river, the owners and tenants have agreed to move elsewhere."

It's still the poor making way for the rich. As for them having agreed, I don't think they had or have much choice. These communities have been there (illegally encroaching if you like) for decades. For some it's been their home their entire life. I feel very sorry for them.

14 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It's still the poor making way for the rich. As for them having agreed, I don't think they had or have much choice. These communities have been there (illegally encroaching if you like) for decades. For some it's been their home their entire life. I feel very sorry for them.

"It's still the poor making way for the rich."

'Chao Phraya for All promenade!'

"As for them having agreed, I don't think they had or have much choice."

One's power of reason in order to make inferences is personal and mostly biased.

"These communities have been there (illegally encroaching if you like) for decades."

The notion to legalize illegality is nonsensical.

"For some it's been their home their entire life. I feel very sorry for them."

Emotions never mix with legal issues.

3 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

"It's still the poor making way for the rich."

'Chao Phraya for All promenade!'

"As for them having agreed, I don't think they had or have much choice."

One's power of reason in order to make inferences is personal and mostly biased.

"These communities have been there (illegally encroaching if you like) for decades."

The notion to legalize illegality is nonsensical.

"For some it's been their home their entire life. I feel very sorry for them."

Emotions never mix with legal issues.

Have a nice day. If you're lucky you might find some compassion.

Edited by dinsdale

think of every major city in the world, london paris vancouver st. petersberg on and on. do they all have nice promenades/walkways on the their rivers waterfronts or do they have illegally built "homes"? 

but as that is said many have probably been there for many generations, so after a certain amount of time you deserve something. why could not some govt official relative bought a nearby local farm land, got it rezoned to residential and then sold it to the govt for 10x what he paid and then relocate everyone?

More poor people lose their houses so the rich can walk along the river. Complete _______n _______s (fill in the banks) running the show. Disgraceful.

So the rich *and the poor* can walk along the river.
River banks should never be owned by anyone, same with the sea shore.

On 10/08/2017 at 1:49 AM, jacko45k said:

It starts out at one end as a river, and becomes a mix at the other.

These are illegal squatter type structures and cleaning the area up is a a positive move for a City trying to upgrade itself.

I hope those displaced are given every assistance.

SO there will be fewer turds floating down that part of the river from now on then? Now that some people are being moved out. 

5 hours ago, Deserted said:

SO there will be fewer turds floating down that part of the river from now on then? Now that some people are being moved out. 

There is that  too, I doubt they were particularly environmentally friendly.