Japan police model cited: Reform of Thai force is focus of seminar

webfact

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-countries-best-police-forces/

There must be some compelling reasons why Japan police force is rank 1 globally. 

Just curious about the credibility of that list, any source for the relevant international body that commissioned the research/survey relating to its ranking? It's not cited in the article, seems a tad tabloid-ish.

1 minute ago, BasalBanality said:

Just curious about the credibility of that list, any source for the relevant international body that commissioned the research/survey relating to its ranking? It's not cited in the article, seems a tad tabloid-ish.

Nope and not bother. Totally readers discretion. As for me, I totally agree with the ranking. Don't you?

13 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Nope and not bother. Totally readers discretion. As for me, I totally agree with the ranking. Don't you?

Try this instead, it's not easy to navigate the internet these days without decent Googlefu skills.

http://wispindex.org/#/global-rankings/

Probably more credible than Wonderslists.

Edited by BasalBanality

13 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Well I guess the Dr. Wassan must have read my list and find that credible; not yours. :saai:

I hope the good "doctor" was more discerning in choice of reference materials, perhaps it's not the inane Wonderslists article but him having receiving his doctorate from Kobe University in 2008 and hence familiar with the system he experienced?

Assistant Professor Dr.Wasan Luangprapat

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Whereas Thai police take the suspect to the ATM before deciding whether to arrest them or not.

You could also say....."Whereas Thai police take the suspect to the ATM before deciding whether to investigate a crime or not."

49 minutes ago, BasalBanality said:

I hope the good "doctor" was more discerning in choice of reference materials, perhaps it's not the inane Wonderslists article but him having receiving his doctorate from Kobe University in 2008 and hence familiar with the system he experienced?

Assistant Professor Dr.Wasan Luangprapat

Inane Wonderslists rank. You don't have the credibility to make that call. 

14 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Inane Wonderslists rank. You don't have the credibility to make that call. 

As much as you have the credibility to suggest Wonderslists is otherwise but inane.

TVFcrapoo2.png

It's a real hassle to separate the wheat from the chaff these days with the information overload.

Edited by BasalBanality

2 hours ago, Tom89 said:

Japanese cops are worthless. The main difference is they don't take bribes from the guy on the street. They're just in the pocket of the Yakuza.

When i was in Tokyo i saw them writing tickets all day long....for every small offence. I never see the RTP do that.

Police forces generally reflect the societies they exist in. The US model would not work in the U.K. and vice versa, although they both learn from each other. 

Japan is a disciplined society where most people stick to the rules, even the gangsters, the yakuza, control the illegal activities like drugs and prostitution in an organised manner.

Thailand consists mainly of people who don't stick to the rules, whose only faith is money, and who try and escape taxes, penalties and regulations at every turn as well as celebrating others, especially the hi-sos, who escape as well.

Until Thai society changes to sweep away these old thoughts and start caring for each other, not just their close families and cronies, reform of any institution  including the police will be impossible.

Paying the police by corruption will need to be replaced by paying them through taxation. Most governments in any country hate raising taxes due to losing votes, but in a junta situation like now, it may be the best thing to do, as long as it is accompanied by reform.

Thailand can try to copy the Japanese police force all it wants, it will make no difference. Japan is a high-trust culture. People in Japan fanatically follow the rules and laws. One of the reasons Japanese society works so well is that people care about other's feelings. They consider how their actions will affect others. Do Thai's consider anyone but themselves? Wa is an important aspect of Japanese society. Nothing like it exists in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wa_(Japanese_culture) 

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Really?

You need to check out lower Sukhumvit. The "litter police" are handing out fines all day long.

Why are they not in Pathum Thani (and many other places) along the canals?

It's a flippin' cesspool. Nah. They just want farangs who drop a ciggie butt = easy Hong Thong money.

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Really?

You need to check out lower Sukhumvit. The "litter police" are handing out fines all day long.

Yes Really sir.

And i won't come to lower Sukhumvit Thonglor area, i'm scared for the police in that area...