The last good bye

overherebc

Semi serious discussion a couple of nights ago.

When you pop your clogs.

Would it be allowed in Thailand to have a Viking Style burning on the sea, cheap wooden boat a pile of wood plus a few litres of 95,  while everyone has a party on the beach.

All the Thais said no but couldn't say why it was no.

Seems pretty obvious why it would be illegal. There would be all kinds of health and safety concerns,  like would the corpse be totally burned, or half a body left floating in the ocean.

Your next question could be is it possible to stick the corpse in a tree and let it be consumed by vultures.

I'm not sure about the Viking style burial but what is available to both Thai and falang  is a burial at sea performed by the Thai navy at the Navy base in Satthip.     What is provided is a Thai navy  vessel, crew and refreshments.    The entire service takes about 1 hour with the boat sailing out to sea where the deceased ashes are  spread in the sea.      I don't remember the exact cost for this but I think it's around B3,000.

Just now, Belzybob said:

95 seems a bit expensive, low end ethanol 91 would do. The navy option for 3k sounds like a steal.

I would imagine that's just to spread the ashes, there would be actual cremation costs on top of that.

On 8/11/2017 at 5:58 PM, Been there done that said:

Your last sentence, thats [sic] thai [sic] education for you :post-4641-1156694572:

That's true. All the farang education systems teach the legislative rationale behind laws concerning the disposal of corpses.

Let's assume your childish comment doesn't sum up farang education.

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

I would imagine that's just to spread the ashes, there would be actual cremation costs on top of that.

And don't forget the cost of hiring the vessel, sailors and light refreshments.  I'd say one would have to be sitting down when they received the itemised account.:shock1: :wai:

1 hour ago, Roger Harris said:

This is below the bottom line stuff, I guess its a joke, or someones got to much free time. has the op seen a shrink lately.

It was meant as a light hearted question and the subject came up when someone mentioned a creamation here where people were sent out to buy charcoal around the town to carry out out the creamation when something went wrong with pyre system. Turned out not to be a joke when later one of the guys there reckoned nearly 1000 baht was spent to complete the whole thing using charcoal.

My local Wat used charcoal for all it's cremations until a few years ago.  Around 5 big sacks at 100bt/bag.   Now they use the big bottles of gas (LPG) and get about 3-5 bodies from each large bottle (50kg about 1000 bt)... a little cheaper, but much cleaner.

Many people then sent the ashes on their way with a simple ceremony on a small fishing boat with a monks and a few friends out at sea..  The only time I went out with them it got a bit choppy just out of the inner breakwater and the monk started throwing up, so they decided not to venture beyond, and did the scattering just inside the outer harbor.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, Spaniel said:

I'm not sure about the Viking style burial but what is available to both Thai and falang  is a burial at sea performed by the Thai navy at the Navy base in Satthip.     What is provided is a Thai navy  vessel, crew and refreshments.    The entire service takes about 1 hour with the boat sailing out to sea where the deceased ashes are  spread in the sea.      I don't remember the exact cost for this but I think it's around B3,000.

Here is a pic of the Thai navy ship they use if you want to use their service to spread your loved ones ashes.

Home renov Aug 2013 002.JPG

Home renov Aug 2013 003.JPG

On 8/12/2017 at 6:31 PM, Spaniel said:

we tried that with our great uncle who hated everyone and wanted revenge.

when the speaker tried to throw the ashes out into the water the wind caught them and they all blew back into the eyes of some 25 mourners and two people fell overboard trying to scramble away.

They all ended up in hospital for an eye wash. :shock1:

Edited by steven100

On 13/08/2017 at 4:47 AM, steve73 said:

My local Wat used charcoal for all it's cremations until a few years ago.  Around 5 big sacks at 100bt/bag.   Now they use the big bottles of gas (LPG) and get about 3-5 bodies from each large bottle (50kg about 1000 bt)... a little cheaper, but much cleaner.

Many people then sent the ashes on their way with a simple ceremony on a small fishing boat with a monks and a few friends out at sea..  The only time I went out with them it got a bit choppy just out of the inner breakwater and the monk started throwing up, so they decided not to venture beyond, and did the scattering just inside the outer harbor.

Had my Dad cremated in a small wat east side pattaya last year not sure what fuel was used but I did refer to the crematorium as a wood burning stove. It was the saddest day of my life but much hilarity ensued. Whatever they used didn't burn that hot... many bones left and the icing on the cake being handed dads bones still hot enough to burn in a paper starbucks carrier bag. He would have laughed too.

On 12/08/2017 at 3:31 PM, Spaniel said:

Check out the Thai Navy's special offer:

The body gets thrown onto a boat with Rohinga refugees, and the lot is then towed into the high seas.