Looking for a New Dash Cam. Any recommendation?

Nordlys

Hi.  I'm looking for a new dash cam.  A must feature for me is;

1) full-HD resolution (1,920 X 1,080 or even 1,440 or 1,080 with wider aspect ration)
2) must accommodate SD card rather than micro SD
3) have impact sensor that saves the segment of the video form the moment of the impact
4) attaches to windshield by suction cup or adhesive (a hole is provided on non-tinted, windshield film).  

My budget is around 3,500 Baht but can be more.  
Where in or around Bangkok can I look for one?  I saw some YouTube reviews but there are so many brands and models out there with different people recommending different brands/models, the more I look into it the more I get confused.  

Is there any point paying premium for a name brand like Garmin and Transcend or does cheap Chinese dash cams suffice?  
And is it worth paying extra for GPS (not sure what it does for cam) and parking mode that initiates video shot when there's a break-in while the vehicle is unoccupied and stationary?  

I already have one but the heat in Thailand made its skin turned into adhesive, and my wife cracked its shell and deformed it while it was in her possession when I had it removed for car wash.  It's still in working order though.  

Edited by Nordlys

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This does not meet all your specs but I use this one as the rear cam is separate and not in dash cam itself. Gives better clarity. I have used 2. First one rear cam cable broke due to me pulling cable out by cable not plug.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-1080P-Car-DVR-Dual-Lens-Video-Recorder-Night-Vision-Camera-Rearview-Dash-Cam/122505823555?hash=item1c85ea8543%3Ag%3AsRgAAOSwYlRZH-t2

BlackVue are top notch and HD. Wirelessly connect to your Samsung or Apple via a easy to use app. If you use a in car wifi hotspot you can track your car via GPS in case it has been stolen, log in to camera for same and even talk 2-way to whoever is in the vehicle through the unit over 4G.

Unfortunately uses micro SD though. Do you specify this as you have many SD's or it is because of another reason? 

EDIT: price is much higher than you stated but you mentioned can be higher 

Edited by MadMuhammad

Morestech กล้องติดรถยนต์ รุ่น G1W NT96650 Full HD (Black)  

Look for this one on www.lazada.co.th   from THB 1200 to THB 1600 some including the SD card mini. I have on my car for the last 3 years. No problems at all, good size screen and night vision, keep on all the time or with the motion sensor. Some others, even more expensive, shut off the image after few seconds what make difficult to know if it is working properly.. This one I recommend for all good reasons. Lazada delivery to home or post office, not advance payment or shipping charges. Good service and easy return and refund if necessary trough 7/11. Love Lazada for few years already.

https://www.lazada.co.th/g1w-car-camera-g1w-nt96650-full-hd-wdr-g-sensor-11685080.html?spm=a2o4l.category-041500000000.0.0.Tzc0JY&ff=1&sc=EaM4

carcam.jpg

Edited by umbanda

7 hours ago, Daffy D said:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/dash-cams/

I have a couple of DOD cams, been working good for several years :thumbsup:

I selected DOD based on it's high operating temperature rating, 140 wide angle view and it's optics.  Paid a little bit more but very satisfied.  Four years of service and no problems.

If your looking for a dash cam to use in Thailand then you need one that uses a capacitor as the backup battery. Batteries do not last long in high temperatures which a dash cam in a car in Thailand would be exposed too. All the cheap dash cams have the backup batteries. I believe most or all of the top of the range blackvue dash cams use a capacitor. Transcend do good dashcams and the drivepro200 which is available from powerbuy has a capacitor the others don't. Buy a cheap one and they will not last so long.

If your looking for a dash cam to use in Thailand then you need one that uses a capacitor as the backup battery. Batteries do not last long in high temperatures which a dash cam in a car in Thailand would be exposed too. All the cheap dash cams have the backup batteries. I believe most or all of the top of the range blackvue dash cams use a capacitor. Transcend do good dashcams and the drivepro200 which is available from powerbuy has a capacitor the others don't. Buy a cheap one and they will not last so long.

Capacitors are subject to heat also.

Capacitors are only used to back up settings and some data. They can not provide the current to run the camera. At least not the size that would fit in the camera.

31 minutes ago, Namplik said:

Agree, I have this one myself https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-yi-dash-cam-1080p-car-wifi-dvr-gray-6374770.html?spm=a2o4l.search.0.0.mWUksd&ff=1

It satisfies Herr Nordlys demands :smile: 

Except the SD card but any new well equipped cam will use micro SD.  If it cant read a license plate and has no app so you can download the video at the scene and share its worthless.

Edited by csabo

14 minutes ago, csabo said:

Except the SD card but any new well equipped cam will use micro SD.  If it cant read a license plate and has no app so you can download the video at the scene and share its worthless.

Off course it have apps and micro SD....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiaoyi.car.camera.international

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-smart-dash-camera

10 hours ago, umbanda said:

Morestech กล้องติดรถยนต์ รุ่น G1W NT96650 Full HD (Black)  

Look for this one on www.lazada.co.th   from THB 1200 to THB 1600 some including the SD card mini. I have on my car for the last 3 years. No problems at all, good size screen and night vision, keep on all the time or with the motion sensor. Some others, even more expensive, shut off the image after few seconds what make difficult to know if it is working properly.. This one I recommend for all good reasons. Lazada delivery to home or post office, not advance payment or shipping charges. Good service and easy return and refund if necessary trough 7/11. Love Lazada for few years already.

https://www.lazada.co.th/g1w-car-camera-g1w-nt96650-full-hd-wdr-g-sensor-11685080.html?spm=a2o4l.category-041500000000.0.0.Tzc0JY&ff=1&sc=EaM4

carcam.jpg

Still the bets of the cheapest available anywhere in the world.

Lazada has to be the best place to buy stuff like this. The Thai font can be translated using Google translate and you can look up reviews on Amazon.

As to the 'buy a cheap one' variant, I don't agree, the bloody things WILL break at the most inconvenient time, quality will be either not good or diminish with time. A taxi driver told me to buy a cheap one as they all break after a year or so, but following his advice was not a success.It cost around ฿1000.- and I had to buy a card which also cost around ฿1000.-

I have a Drive-pro, ฿3500.-, including SD card since a year now and I am happy with it.

My dashcam 

7 inches can see the video back clearly. - HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology provides sharp images even in low light night. - LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System). To prevent sleep apnea - FCWS (Forward Collision Warning System). It beeps when driving close to the vehicle in front too - Motion Detection recording automatically when motion - G-sensor detects vibration when there is an accident in order to prevent file loss (adjustable vibration requires a separate camera. file) - image Distortion Correction balance reduces twisting of the picture - a wide angle lens 170 degrees - a port, the HDMI - the Support the GPS can speed driving to the video recording. And you can check the driving route back (Price excludes GPS Module) - Car Plate Number Input can identify your vehicle license plate in the log file. - High stability. And the heat is excellent.

resolution:  2304X1296P  16mg pixel

Aperture:  1.7

In my opinion better than the ones proposed to you till now..for I've looked all over the internet before buying it :smile:

https://www.lazada.co.th/rizer-g98c-sd-card-32-gb-class10-1760388.html?spm=a2o4l.order-details.0.0.P5ZrTO

8 hours ago, cooked said:

Lazada has to be the best place to buy stuff like this. The Thai font can be translated using Google translate and you can look up reviews on Amazon.

As to the 'buy a cheap one' variant, I don't agree, the bloody things WILL break at the most inconvenient time, quality will be either not good or diminish with time. A taxi driver told me to buy a cheap one as they all break after a year or so, but following his advice was not a success.It cost around ฿1000.- and I had to buy a card which also cost around ฿1000.-

I have a Drive-pro, ฿3500.-, including SD card since a year now and I am happy with it.

I have 3 1500 thb G1W deshcam since 3+ years and they still work perfectly. Maybe smart people can buy cheap but good ?

30 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

I have 3 1500 thb G1W deshcam since 3+ years and they still work perfectly. Maybe smart people can buy cheap but good ?

Well good for you. Obviously I'm not smart

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

My dashcam 

7 inches can see the video back clearly. - HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology provides sharp images even in low light night. - LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System). To prevent sleep apnea - FCWS (Forward Collision Warning System). It beeps when driving close to the vehicle in front too - Motion Detection recording automatically when motion - G-sensor detects vibration when there is an accident in order to prevent file loss (adjustable vibration requires a separate camera. file) - image Distortion Correction balance reduces twisting of the picture - a wide angle lens 170 degrees - a port, the HDMI - the Support the GPS can speed driving to the video recording. And you can check the driving route back (Price excludes GPS Module) - Car Plate Number Input can identify your vehicle license plate in the log file. - High stability. And the heat is excellent.

resolution:  2304X1296P  16mg pixel

Aperture:  1.7

In my opinion better than the ones proposed to you till now..for I've looked all over the internet before buying it :smile:

https://www.lazada.co.th/rizer-g98c-sd-card-32-gb-class10-1760388.html?spm=a2o4l.order-details.0.0.P5ZrTO

Wow, the model in lazada link has all that features?  :unsure::shock1:

Thanks all for all the inputs.  

So many models, so wide price range, so many choice.  :unsure:

I forgot to mention, I have a round hole on non-tinted UV/IR cut film attached to windshield provided for suction cup attachment.  And it's positioned on lower right hand corner for easy access by driver, because I remove it every once in a while for when I need to put the sun shield.  And while suction cup can be attached to the film surface it can't be attached anywhere else because it will cause severe wrinkling on the film.  So whatever the size and shape it comes with the new dash cam has to be small enough to allow enough clearance from the curve of the dashboard just above tach/speedometer (as pictured).  The dash cam I'm currently using is pretty thin and flat, with barely enough clearance from dashboard when you flip open the LCD.  

IMG_0102.jpg

71hB8OqpMYL._SL1500_.jpg