Looking for a New Dash Cam. Any recommendation?

Nordlys

57 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Can you elaborate how that happened?  

I assume you mean where I said people went around me and hit me?

I was turning right and had my indicator on. There were 4 cars coming from the opposite direction. I was obviously stopped and waiting for the first 3 cars to come passed but I had time before 4th car so I turned. Bang bang. Two motor bikes went around me on the drivers side and one hit me in the back and the other near front wheel. The one who hit me at the back jumped on her bike and took off. Three schools girls on the other were not so lucky and sustained injuries. I had some Thai people with me and I asked them to ask driver of that bike why she went around me when i was indicating and had stopped for some time? Her response was she thought I was indicating for them to go around me. Go figure.

I did not have a cam at that time but the dual cam would have should me stopped and waiting and the others obviously stopped too.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some considerable time ago I thought I saw an advert for a car DVR system that you could connect 4 cams to. I would assume one out the front, one out the back, one of the car internals and I would use 4th on turn signal dash lights. But I have never seen this again and have never been able to find. Maybe I was dreaming.

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Some considerable time ago I thought I saw an advert for a car DVR system that you could connect 4 cams to. I would assume one out the front, one out the back, one of the car internals and I would use 4th on turn signal dash lights. But I have never seen this again and have never been able to find. Maybe I was dreaming.

You would put a camera facing your dash to record the turn signal indicator is flashing ?

https://www.dashcam.co/products/trucker-dash-cam-360-degree-of-recording-outdoor-cam-on-each-mirror-free-shipping?variant=16303029828

5 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

You would put a camera facing your dash to record the turn signal indicator is flashing ?

Yes, to prove I had turn signal on. Here they tell you not have on. They don't see it so you must not have on.

50 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Yes, to prove I had turn signal on. Here they tell you not have on. They don't see it so you must not have on.

So your cam recording sitting idle at an intersection or U-turn is not proof enough you were turning ?

I would be asking why the scooter was in a lane it is not allowed to be in rather than adding yet another camera to the car just to record the dash.

12 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

So your cam recording sitting idle at an intersection or U-turn is not proof enough you were turning ?

I would be asking why the scooter was in a lane it is not allowed to be in rather than adding yet another camera to the car just to record the dash.

Have you, a farang had an accident in Thailand?

Edited by Dazinoz

Just now, Techno Viking said:

Yes, A few. Some my fault some not, in all instances the police have ruled correctly the at fault party.

Same in my case. But even the 3 Thais I had with me in my car all said I would be fined because I  farang. 

I was just making a statement that if I had four cams I would aim one at the turn signal indications as extra proof I was actually using the turn signal.

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Same in my case. But even the 3 Thais I had with me in my car all said I would be fined because I  farang. 

I was just making a statement that if I had four cams I would aim one at the turn signal indications as extra proof I was actually using the turn signal.

Your Thai passengers are clueless, get some better Thai's to travel with.

If you are turning right at an intersection or performing a U-turn the scooter has no legal right to be in the position to be overtaking you on the right hand side, unless your are turning right or doing a U-turn from the left hand lane !!

Edited by Techno Viking

Just now, Techno Viking said:

Your Thai passengers are clueless, get some better Thai's to travel with.

If you are turning right at an intersection or performing a U-turn the scooter has no legal right to be in the position to be overtaking you on the right hand side.

I know the scooters were in the wrong and my passengers had no idea but unfortunately that is the mentality of so many of the Thais.

In the same incident I had another farang come talk to me. He said I was in the right but, from his experience, he also said I would be fined.

35 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I know the scooters were in the wrong and my passengers had no idea but unfortunately that is the mentality of so many of the Thais.

In the same incident I had another farang come talk to me. He said I was in the right but, from his experience, he also said I would be fined.

Better to shut your mouth and wait for the insurance person to arrive.

Ive read all the stories about how the foreigner is by default in the wrong and gets fined but in my experience this is not the case.

Saying that I have been asked to admit fault so that the scooter person could claim against my compulsory insurance for their physical injuries, I declined.

Edited by Techno Viking

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

When I playback my dashcam video I can hear the sound of my indicator when making a turn, click-click-click.

If you can't, then check your audio settings.

16 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Better to shut your mouth and wait for the insurance person to arrive.

Ive read all the stories about how the foreigner is by default in the wrong and gets fined but in my experience this is not the case.

Saying that I have been asked to admit fault so that the scooter person could claim against my compulsory insurance for their physical injuries, I declined.

Exactly.

I stuck to my guns I did nothing wrong. I did not call insurance company as there was not enough damage to claim. In the end police told me to go.

5 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Exactly.

I stuck to my guns I did nothing wrong. I did not call insurance company as there was not enough damage to claim. In the end police told me to go.

Yeah, if there was  2 injured people and a damaged scoot involved I would be call my insurance company, it costs nothing to have a rep attend and sort the mess.

Edited by Techno Viking

It looks like dual channel cameras require more processing power which compromises video quality, much less quad cameras?  This video says it's often better to install two separate cameras front and rear if your car comes with a rear socket in cargo area (like most SUV does).  

Edited by Nordlys

I found out some manufacturers like PAPAGO makes dash cam that can be attached to the rear view mirror (with a bracket), which is great as I found it's too cumbersome removing the suction cup from windshield every time I put up the sun shade and repositioning the camera after reattaching it.  I also don't like attaching suction cup directly on film surface (I have UV/IR-cut film attached on all windows including windshield) because it wrinkles up the film, making it look messy and ugly.  Question is, is PAPAGO the only manufacturer that makes such dash cam (and no, I don't want a dash cam built into rear view mirror)? 

Edited by Nordlys

6 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I found out some manufacturers like PAPAGO makes dash cam that can be attached to the rear view mirror (with a bracket), which is great as I found it's too cumbersome removing the suction cup from windshield every time I put up the sun shade and repositioning the camera after reattaching it.  I also hate attaching suction cup on film surface (I have UV/IR-cut film attached on all windows including windshield) because it wrinkles up the film surface, making look messy and ugly.  Question is, is PAPAGO the only manufacturer that makes such dash cam (and no, I don't want a dash cam built into rear view mirror)? 

Put the sunshade on the outside of the windscreen. Mine is held in place by the two front doors.

Edited by giddyup

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Put the sunshade on the outside of the windscreen. Mine is held in place by the two front doors.

Mine is a collapsible, accordion type reflective sun shade that is held in place by sun visor.  Besides, I don't want to get it dirty and people steal anything and everything in this country (sometimes, because they simply can).  :saai:

Edited by Nordlys

2 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Mine is a collapsible, accordion type reflective sun shade that is held in place by sun visor.  Besides, I don't want to get it dirty and people steal anything and everything in this country (sometimes, because they simply can).  :saai:

Mine is accordion type as well, but he doors close on the ends that make it very awkward to steal. Anyway, I'm down 100 baht if it goes, big deal.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Mine is accordion type as well, but he doors close on the ends that make it very awkward to steal. Anyway, I'm down 100 baht if it goes, big deal.

Secured by strings on both ends of the shade?  Where do you get one like that?  

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I think I bought it at Tesco. Has a flap either end that tucks inside the door.

Looks good for a 100 Baht!  But for however long you've been using it (and wherever you live in Thailand) you never got it stolen??  :unsure:

Just now, Nordlys said:

Looks good for a 100 Baht!  But for however long you've been using it (and wherever you live in Thailand) you never got it stolen??  :unsure:

Live in Pattaya, never been stolen in 2 years. If it is, I'll buy another.

The sony sensors usually do a little better at night.   Some dashcams are almost worthless in the dark.

Not that many companies make dashcams with capacitors.     A capacitor should  handle the heat better in tropical places.

Viofo has multiple dashcams with capacitors.    The A118C,  (inexpensive, not so good at night),   The Various A119's,   The 'S' has a sony censor, but had some intro problems.  The latest is a W1R, which looks promising, but has some minor problems in the early production releases.  (Low recorded audio, dim function LED's)

I also have several Mobuis action/dash cams which are inexpensive, reliable, and small.  You can add a capacitor for $8.      The night video on the C models is 'ok'.    I've had a mobius running in a tractor trailer in the US for close to 3 years.

The Garmin dash cams are usually not very good and the performance is not up to par with cheaper dash cams.

I have a Yi, also, which I like, the overall video is good, it's cheap, ($50 in the US on amazon) and fairly easy to live with, although it's not small.

3 hours ago, petesc55 said:

The sony sensors usually do a little better at night.   Some dashcams are almost worthless in the dark.

Not that many companies make dashcams with capacitors.     A capacitor should  handle the heat better in tropical places.

Viofo has multiple dashcams with capacitors.    The A118C,  (inexpensive, not so good at night),   The Various A119's,   The 'S' has a sony censor, but had some intro problems.  The latest is a W1R, which looks promising, but has some minor problems in the early production releases.  (Low recorded audio, dim function LED's)

I also have several Mobuis action/dash cams which are inexpensive, reliable, and small.  You can add a capacitor for $8.      The night video on the C models is 'ok'.    I've had a mobius running in a tractor trailer in the US for close to 3 years.

The Garmin dash cams are usually not very good and the performance is not up to par with cheaper dash cams.

I have a Yi, also, which I like, the overall video is good, it's cheap, ($50 in the US on amazon) and fairly easy to live with, although it's not small.

Thanks for all that inputs.  Xiaomi Yi is not small?  I thought it was...  :unsure:

Edited by Nordlys

11 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Thanks ... very useful ... and the information on life cycle of micro SD cards when used in car cams which I hadn't considered ...

Big stuff for LOS is the use of capacitors and whether you need power banks to run one or more cameras when the vehicle is stationary.

I am working on a 4 camera setup running off 2 x Cellink B batteries and hard wired into the car giving near 360 coverage.

If you value coverage after you switch off the ignition, look into power packs and hard wiring but remember a cut off to leave enough juice to start your car !

That's a good group with people happy to tell newcomers how to achieve what they want - I'm still a newbie but have hours and hours of research under my belt.