Thinking of moving to Isaan

SteveK

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/12/2017 at 4:52 PM, Goanna said:

Might I suggest that you take six months off, as a trial. See how you go. You will learn about the area, the people, and the lady. It will definately be different to what you are used to. I enjoy it, but it many wouldn't.

I guess that you are well settled into that new house by now mate.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:30 AM, spidermike007 said:

Change can be a very healthy thing. But prudence is also something to consider. I think you have hit on a good first option. Come for a month, and see how it feels. Not sure how well you know this woman you are referring to. My general rule of thumb is that it takes a good solid year of being with someone full time, before you really know who she is. You might want to consider doubling that, for a Thai woman. Many are very undeveloped emotionally, for their age, and really lack communication skills, even if they speak very good english. That all has to be considered. Always remember, time if your ally. It is not her ally. She is nearly always going to push the agenda. 

Issan has some very good qualities. There are some very nice areas up there, most of the people are warm and genuine, the standard of living is great, and it does have some things to offer. But, you have to decide if it is someplace you would want to live full time. I own land up there, and a home. But my wife and I only visit occasionally, and I figure I will not be living there most of the year, until I am at least 70 years old. Quite a few of the foreigners I know who live in Issan are fairly heavy drinkers. Most likely due to the intense boredom of everyday life?

And lastly, DO NOT invest money with a Thai friend or woman, unless you really get to know them well, beforehand. While some make out just fine, alot of guys have lost their money doing so. Granted, 90K baht is not alot of money. But, be careful, and take your time.

Concerning the farang heavy drinkers in Isaan. This is my worry, i am retired and strongly thinking moving to the Khukan-Sisaket area to be with my lady friend. However last year i spent a month in the area and did not meet one farang. Not having contact with an English speaking neighbour for the occasional 'chat and beer' i think would drive me "stir crazy"

Concerning the farang heavy drinkers in Isaan. This is my worry, i am retired and strongly thinking moving to the Khukan-Sisaket area to be with my lady friend. However last year i spent a month in the area and did not meet one farang. Not having contact with an English speaking neighbour for the occasional 'chat and beer' i think would drive me "stir crazy"

Think?

Certainly not for everyone.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:32 PM, pr9spk said:

Not sure if I mentioned this but I have somewhere in Thailand to stay for free, a sizeable chunk of cash when I sell my UK house, and probably less than 10 years before I kick the bucket.

Did you get health insurance in the UK ?

There are numerous farang styled restaurants/bars in & around Sisaket province. I cannot imagine one trip to town, where you didn’t meet a farang.
Pizza4you
Black dog bar
Hong Kong Garden
Living in the past
Pop -in
Cuckoos nest
Leo’s restaurant

To name a few!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I wanted to meet farangs, I could have just stayed in the UK. In Isaan, I'm perfectly happy just relaxing and keeping myself busy during the day, I have noticed that the skies where I am are insanely clear, can't wait to get a really good telescope and mount set up, but got a few other things to sort first. I spend a lot of time cooking various foods and testing them out on the villagers. Nobody has died yet, but the people here are so isolated from the world that they don't understand what pizza is.

Proper English Cumberland sausages went down well with everyone, as did American style BBQ ribs.

My career in the UK came to a natural end, and I have to say that the UK is not going anywhere either, at least you can be happy here. Every morning that I wake up in the UK is 24hours closer to me needing anti-depressants.

Just out of interest I looked at rental rates for flats where I used to live in the UK and was totally gobsmacked. There must be a lot of young people in the UK doing pretty decent jobs, but still living paycheck to paycheck, council tax is outrageous too. For a year's rent in the UK, you can buy a house in Thailand, it's insane.

To be honest I wish I had moved to Thailand immediately after finishing my degree. Life more me in the UK is utter drudgery, I think the weather affects my mood, plus having to pay £1.69 for 500ml of Cola makes me feel ill.

Obviously I don't have the free healthcare, but that's about the only downside.

• 6 months later...
If I wanted to meet farangs, I could have just stayed in the UK. In Isaan, I'm perfectly happy just relaxing and keeping myself busy during the day, I have noticed that the skies where I am are insanely clear, can't wait to get a really good telescope and mount set up, but got a few other things to sort first. I spend a lot of time cooking various foods and testing them out on the villagers. Nobody has died yet, but the people here are so isolated from the world that they don't understand what pizza is.

Proper English Cumberland sausages went down well with everyone, as did American style BBQ ribs.

My career in the UK came to a natural end, and I have to say that the UK is not going anywhere either, at least you can be happy here. Every morning that I wake up in the UK is 24hours closer to me needing anti-depressants.

Just out of interest I looked at rental rates for flats where I used to live in the UK and was totally gobsmacked. There must be a lot of young people in the UK doing pretty decent jobs, but still living paycheck to paycheck, council tax is outrageous too. For a year's rent in the UK, you can buy a house in Thailand, it's insane.

To be honest I wish I had moved to Thailand immediately after finishing my degree. Life more me in the UK is utter drudgery, I think the weather affects my mood, plus having to pay £1.69 for 500ml of Cola makes me feel ill.

Obviously I don't have the free healthcare, but that's about the only downside.
Every morning that I wake up in the UK is 24hours closer to me needing anti-depressants.

So true [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Change jobs and build your career, Thailand isnt going anywhere. You can visit whenever you have time off and build a relationship with it and uour friend over time. 

Wise words IMO. It’s neigh-on impossible to have a career in Thailand when promotions are nearly impossible (like pay rises). Everyone lives on a yearly basis (WP/contract/visa).
I am glad I don’t have to go through all the jumps&hoops for very much longer.

On August 12, 2017 at 4:46 AM, inThailand said:

Out of all the big cities, Ubon has to be the most boring and uneventful place for falangs. 

I've travelled extensively thru isaan, I think u would do a swanny off a balcony shortly after arriving, SFA to do there.

perhaps try living there for a while first.

Forget the 90k or  get more use  setting fire to it to keep  warm and  dump the girl, find one not wanting 90k to not invest in anything at any time, Personally  i find almost everything boring after a time.

Keep  your UK  house whatever you decide   as you  really  will regret that later when Immigration decide you don't fit their limited  bill of desirable.

If you get a girl don't get her pregnant, Thailand is NOT a  paradise not in any way, the only decent  thing for "me" is the better weather. Stop seeing the place as a  be  all/ end  all it  really isn't.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:52 AM, Goanna said:

Might I suggest that you take six months off, as a trial. See how you go. You will learn about the area, the people, and the lady. It will definately be different to what you are used to. I enjoy it, but it many wouldn't.

^^^ yep. keep yr house, rent it out under a short leasehold system, consider using agent in the uk for letting it out. not much ado around the areas you mentioned. kong chiam is a nice place to visit, as are the other 2 , but they are small places, you will be bored within weeks. and you need to be near the city if you are considering working as English teacher for any reasonable salary. 

yep, try it out for 6 months, with the assurance that you still have your house if things aren't quite what they seem. if you're here late December early January, bring a coat ! can get nippy

I've travelled extensively thru isaan, I think u would do a swanny off a balcony shortly after arriving, SFA to do there. perhaps try living there for a while first.

Yes, please stay away from Isaan: everything is more expensive, tourists are everywhere, food is cr@p & the girls are ugly.

Pattaya, Phuket or BKK are far better options. [emoji106]

14 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

I've travelled extensively thru isaan, I think u would do a swanny off a balcony shortly after arriving, SFA to do there.

Think you should have too before slagging the area off eh....????

Why travel ‘ extensively’ through Isaan if it’s so grim?

Where was your final destination?

Just wondering??

On 9/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Well not sure about a swanny, but your are correct about nothing to do.

It is 38km to the nearest 7/11 from my wife's village.

They speak an Isaan dialect, so have zero idea ever what ever anyone is saying?

I dread having to go there but I do.

Very poor place, just nothing around at all to do.

Don't sell the house ever rent it out with A reputable agent who will take care of it for the management fee to take the headache away

Hi guys,

I am considering moving to Ubon Ratchathani province hopefully within the next 6 months.

My situation:
Have a first class masters degree from a good UK university.
Am 36 years old.
Own a house worth £369k with £220k left on the mortgage.
Have around £25k savings. Also about £8k worth of stuff that I can sell.
<deleted> off with current job and have left, <deleted> off with life in the UK in general.
Have a reasonable grasp of written and spoken Thai (but not really any Isaan).
Have just come back from several weeks staying in Khong Chiam, Pho Sai and Trakan Phuet Phon.

My question is, am I in a good enough position to consider the move? I have someone (Thai) who I can stay with for free initially. Income wise I have two options. She has said I can invest in her start-up shop for around 90k Baht which will give me somewhere to stay above the shop and will gets some money for helping out from time to time but obviously I don't think that's legal. Or I can look at teaching English, which shouldn't be a problem, I really enjoy languages, and hold a full clean motorcycle license to save money.

With regards to my house in the UK. I don't have family base I can stay at in the UK so if I sell it I am burning my bridges. I could rent it out, and I predict the rental, after deducting agency fees and mortgage will provide another 6k baht per month, with the added benefit that someone is paying my mortgage and I will have somewhere to come back to. But then obviously I won't get the big lump sum from the equity in my house.

Does anyone have any advice or questions?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well not sure about a swanny, but your are correct about nothing to do.

It is 38km to the nearest 7/11 from my wife's village.

They speak an Isaan dialect, so have zero idea ever what ever anyone is saying?

I dread having to go there but I do.

Very poor place, just nothing around at all to do.

What’s “around to do” at inland villages 38km from the nearest shop in OTHER COUNTRIES around the world?

28 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I have been to most Issan cities UR is the worst. Khon Kaen is better. More night life. Roi et is better. Udon Thani is better..Teaching English requires experience and qualifications for a half decent job.

yep UR is the worst place on earth, heed the advice given by those who have never been here. stay away, I like UR just the way it is, too many fozzies here already... don't spoil it ...

pls go to UD, KK , SN, NR, MUK, in fact anywhere but the place I love...xx

...and the farang is to pay the installments.[emoji16] It's almost certain that she is loaded with debt    I would go for a rich woman if I was (A) Young, (B) from a 'tier 1' country [emoji2398] had 150 k sterling cash (D) Reasonably good looking ..and you got the first 3 reqs already.

She would probably be older but beats a dreary teaching job.

Set your sights high young man not the sewer like most farangs do.

Post error

• 4 weeks later...

Archived