Thinking of moving to Isaan

SteveK

Apologies (Proper Hangover on me) but reading back through this thread, it sounds to me like the OP is trying to escape his shadow & unless he's Peter Pan, ain't going to happen...

OP.. No offence but sort yourself out first, moving somewhere else is just kicking the can down the road...

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LostinSEA said:

Apologies (Proper Hangover on me) but reading back through this thread, it sounds to me like the OP is trrightg to escape his shadow & unless he's Peter Pan, ain't going to happen...

OP.. No offence but sort yourself out first, moving somewhere else is just kicking the can down the road...

Sounds about right, someone not 100% (or even 50%) certain of their future situation. Not that you can see the future fully, but a blindfold doesn't help.

When I decided to move here the number one thing l had to do was clear my head of farangland, took some doing but l managed it and sort of go with the flow. If one has a Mr.Angry attitude that you can't shake off then you will have a problem. :sad:

5 minutes ago, transam said:

When I decided to move here the number one thing l had to do was clear my head of farangland, took some doing but l managed it and sort of go with the flow. If one has a Mr.Angry attitude that you can't shake off then you will have a problem. :sad:

Great point. Even in the USA, my Thai wife has cleared me and acclimated me to clearing farangland thinking and reacting. It's quite nice. Ive never been so laid back in my life and taken it easy. Of course, she goes the other way a bit and got hacked off with drivers in Thailand not following the rules. Then she snapped and said, "I'm back!" and got back into Thai driving mode. So cute. 

People need to go with the flow more or less, wherever they are. And for me, it's easier to be "mai pen rai" when in retirement mode.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

It's that "Mr Angry" attitude that stops me from moving to Thailand (Or Philippines) full time... 

If you can go a week (day!) in Singapore without turning round & calling somebody a W4nker, you're a better man than I !

God I miss the UK :(

9 minutes ago, LostinSEA said:

It's that "Mr Angry" attitude that stops me from moving to Thailand (Or Philippines) full time... 

If you can go a week (day!) in Singapore without turning round & calling somebody a W4nker, you're a better man than I !

God I miss the UK :(

If you can't survive the relative normality of Singapore you would be forked in Thailand.

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

He's talking about same-sex marriage...

I was surprised by all the guys here marrying other guys and ladyboys. Like in our local community here in the USA. I didn't even know the USA legalized that sort of thing. 

17 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

If you can't survive the relative normality of Singapore you would be forked in Thailand.

Exactly.... But at least I'm honest enough with myself to know that (btw Thailand is a Kindergarten compared to some of the places I've lived/worked...)

Sort of comes back to the point with the OP,  you are (or certainly will be) well "forked" in Thailand if you don't sort yourself out 1st...

Hey, at least the hangover is getting better :)... Now to sort out the broken toe (don't ask :(

52 minutes ago, transam said:

Thai marriage isn't recognised in the UK.....?

Unless you jump all of the hoops to qualify under Thai law, it won't be recognized. Can't be done by the British embassy, only a district office.. so if you have a Thai wedding in a village, it's not actually valid. 

Unless you jump all of the hoops to qualify under Thai law, it won't be recognized. Can't be done by the British embassy, only a district office.. so if you have a Thai wedding in a village, it's not actually valid. 

Yeah, three times around the Ferris Wheel won't do it. You have to be legally married in Thailand for your marriage to recognized in the US.

Can't speak to the U.K..,

2 hours ago, kunfish said:

Yeah, sounds odd. In USA. well, wife and I got married here. maybe this person is thinking of the ceremonial marriage when getting a marriage / wife visa.

You can't get a marraige visa if you only had a ceremonial wedding. 

There is a difference between "a wedding" and "marraige". The original comment was "a Thai marraige is not valid in UK". That is incorrect. 

26 minutes ago, puchooay said:

You can't get a marraige visa if you only had a ceremonial wedding. 

There is a difference between "a wedding" and "marraige". The original comment was "a Thai marraige is not valid in UK". That is incorrect. 

Yep....:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Yep....:stoner:

The key to any country is the certified government part. You can have the wedding, but need also the government cert. Wife and I had the "wedding" in KK (photos and party), then the legal marriage in USA. (Marriage visas take too long for U..S., compared to finance visas.)

Let's make it clear...You cannot marry a Thai bird unless your embassy provides a letter stating you are free to marry, in other words single. So your embassy will now have a record of your application to marry a Thai national.. That letter is used at the legal marriage place.

You can do a village "wedding" with the monks, a master of ceremonies and demanded sinsod....:sad:..  but it is totally worthless, and you ain't legally married....You will have no claim on anything if you split and NO marriage visa..You can tell your embassy that the legal marriage has taken place and they will record the marriage names..

My-oh-my, what a can of worms you've gone and opened . . . just shows how passionate the hundreds of posters are about upping sticks for Isan; both the pros and the cons. You may almost be wishing you'd not come onto the forum and just followed your instincts.

As alluring as the Isan culture, its women - to look at, at least! - and its food are, many previous posts have given ample warning of the negative sides to such a move. In my view, these tended to paint an over-negative picture, especially with you having so many good cards in your hand. Particularly so, compared to my 'hand', 5yrs ago; pushing 70 but needing to escape the sadness of widowhood, no assets other than a good private pension that I knew, from research, would finance building an excellent home - let's ignore the legals of that for the moment!

On paper, many would say I was crazy to come here - 'here' for me, being about 350km NW of Ubon - when my only other 'assets' were a sense of adventure, an incurably romantic nature, a belief in destiny, i.e. that things will work out for the best and, perhaps the most valuable . . . an insatiable curiosity, but I haven't regretted the move for one moment.

So 'why all the negativity?', I have to ask. You must have a sense of adventure to have visited Ubon, already, and I think it's good that you are looking at the feasibility of your friend's shop-cum-bedsit, espec. with it being something that you could pull out of PDQ, if nec. Unless you're pretty ugly, boring and smelly and if you're prepared to shop around for a real romantic interest - in the nicest way, that is - you will almost certainly find a woman who, as you've already been warned, will be more than interested in your wealth, but also be interested in building a romantic, loving relationship, too, no matter how out-of-character this might be for most Thai women, for whom the closest thing to romance is what they chuckle at on the multi-channel soaps. What does your shop friend have to say about Thai-Farang rels? And, what was your M-degree in?

Espec. with your interest in languages and maybe teaching Eng, that would also open the work-permit route into the country, long term. Don't worry about the local Isan-Lao dialogue; nearly everyone can read/write in 'proper' Thai, which is taught in all schools, as the mother-tongue, after all. Here's what I would do:

1. Make sure the shop/bedsit is still available . . . good, both for cost saving and social life. The 90K baht stake sounds reasonable, espec. if there's the makings of a sound friendship, there. Does she sound genuinely excited by the idea?
  2. Get a good renting agent. Having that bolt-hole, if Thai things don't work out, will be a massive worry-stopper.
  3. Speak to the Royal Thai Consulate at Hull. They were more than quick to help with my visa queries and, if I remember right, granted me a 3mth non-imm, type 'O' visa. Unless or until you marry or arrange for a work permit, you will have to join the happy bunch of visa-'runners', who make the trip to Savannakhet, every 90 days. Get the right digs and this can be quite a fun trip, espec. if you meet a few of your own kind, whilst there, to compare notes with and watch the Mekong glide by.
  4. Jump on a plane, with the adventurer's 'mission-not-impossible' smile on your face and never look back.

6 minutes ago, Ossy said:

My- oh-my, what a can of worms you've gone and opened . . . just shows how passionate the hundreds of posters are about upping sticks for Isaan; both the pros and the cons. You may almost be wishing you'd not come onto the forum and just followed your instincts.

As alluring as the Isan culture, its women - to look at, at least! - and its food are, many previous posts have given ample warning of the negative sides to such a move. In my view, these tended to paint an over-negative picture, especially with you having so many good cards in your hand. Particularly so, compared to my 'hand', 5yrs ago; pushing 70 but needing to escape the sadness of widowhood, no assets other than a good private pension that I knew, from research, would finance building an excellent home - let's ignore the legals of that for the moment!

On paper, many would say I was crazy to come here - 'here' for me, being about 350km NW of Ubon - when my only other 'assets' were a sense of adventure, an incurably romantic nature, a belief in destiny, i.e. that things will work out for the best and, perhaps the most valuable . . . an insatiable curiosity, but I haven't regretted the move for one moment.

So 'why all the negativity', I have to ask. You must have a sense of adventure to have visited Ubon, already and I think it's good that you are looking at the feasibility of your friend's shop-cum-bedsit, espec. with it being something that you could pull out of PDQ, if nec. Unless you're pretty ugly, boring and smelly and if you're prepared to shop around for a real romantic interest - in the nicest way, that is - you will almost certainly find a woman who, as you've already been warned, will be more than interested in your wealth, but also be interested in building a romantic, loving relationship, too, no matter how out-of-character this might be for most Thai women, for whom the closest thing to romance is what they chuckle at on the multi-channel soaps. What does your shop friend have to say about Thai-Farang rels? And, what was your M degree in?

Espec. with your interest in languages and maybe teaching Eng, that would also open the work-permit route into the country, long term. Don't worry about the local Isan-Lao dialogue; nearly everyone can read/write in 'proper' Thai, which is taught in all schools, as the mother-tongue, after all. Here's what I would do:

1. Make sure the shop/bedsit is still available . . . good, both for cost saving and social life. The 90K baht stake sounds reasonable, espec. if there's the makings of a sound friendship, there. Does she sound genuinely excited by the idea?
  2. Get a good renting agent. Having that bolt-hole, if Thai things don't work out, will be a massive worry-stopper.
  3. Speak to the Royal Thai Consulate at Hull. They were more than quick to help with my visa queries and, if I remember right, granted me a 3mth non-imm, type 'O' visa. Unless or until you marry or arrange for a work permit, you will have to join the happy bunch of visa-'runners', who make the trip to Savannakhet, every 90 days. Get the right digs and this can be quite a fun trip, espec. if you meet a few of your own kind, whilst there, to compare notes with and watch the Mekong glide by.
  4. Jump on a plane, with the adventurer's 'mission-not-impossible' smile on your face and never look back.

Well yeh, and some folk have taken the chance (me) and they soon got back on  that plane (not me)...Most stuff in life is a gamble, works for some but not for others...I have seen a lot in LOS with shit happening, the main prob is the farang cannot take on-board Thai stuff, just stuck in their farang world which will not work here..Of course there are exceptions to a Thai bird bending over backwards, but that is for her reasons..     

My-oh-my, what a can of worms you've gone and opened . . . just shows how passionate the hundreds of posters are about upping sticks for Isan; both the pros and the cons. You may almost be wishing you'd not come onto the forum and just followed your instincts.

Wonderful post sir, but I'd posit that you were in a much better place (70, retired already with private pension) than the OP (still in prime earning years).

I pulled the early retirement trigger at 40 (calculated if I sold my house I had £1,000 per month to last me until my pension kicks in st 60) lasted 3 months then was climbing the walls!

Did it again at 48 (now up to £2,000 pm to last me until my pension kicks in) lasted 15 months (spent Travelling around Asia) until a mate dragged me back in to "Working for a living".

3rd (& Final) shot is in March when this project finishes (I'll be 52) & without boasting have more capital than the OP is talking about... to last me until my pension kicks in [emoji1303]

And I still wouldn't do it if I were him...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, LostinSEA said:

Wonderful post sir, but I'd posit that you were in a much better place (70, retired already with private pension) than the OP (still in prime earning years).

I pulled the early retirement trigger at 40 (calculated if I sold my house I had £1,000 per month to last me until my pension kicks in st 60) lasted 3 months then was climbing the walls!

Did it again at 48 (now up to £2,000 pm to last me until my pension kicks in) lasted 15 months (spent Travelling around Asia) until a mate dragged me back in to "Working for a living".

3rd (& Final) shot is in March when this project finishes (I'll be 52) & without boasting have more capital than the OP is talking about... to last me until my pension kicks in emoji1303.png

And I still wouldn't do it if I were him...

Great stuff and good to see that you're hangin' in there. You must have discovered enough good stuff to give the 'third time lucky' maxim another try.

You draw a reasonable comparison between me and the OP. Now able to relax, with my home and pool finished, we are just able to live on 40,000 bahts/mth and my PP, bubbling nicely away in the background is the fall-back cushion that may, perhaps, never be needed and provide funds for 'passing on'. I reckon the OP's 30,000 B/m should more than look after his living budget, whilst the equity in his house would, when put towards an annuity - whenever that will be - provide him with funds for really settling down, in perhaps 3 - 5 yrs time. I might not have looked at the figures enough, but I reckon he's onto a winner. :partytime2:

Great stuff and good to see that you're hangin' in there. You must have discovered enough good stuff to give the 'third time lucky' maxim another try.

You draw a reasonable comparison between me and the OP. Now able to relax, with my home and pool finished, we are just able to live on 40,000 bahts/mth and my PP, bubbling nicely away in the background is the fall-back cushion that may, perhaps, never be needed and provide funds for 'passing on'. I reckon the OP's 30,000 B/m should more than look after his living budget, whilst the equity in his house would, when put towards an annuity - whenever that will be - provide him with funds for really settling down, in perhaps 3 - 5 yrs time. I might not have looked at the figures enough, but I reckon he's onto a winner. :partytime2:

Wonderful to hear that it's working out for you mate & I sincerely hope that it continues to [emoji1303]

TBH it's not about the money with me, it's what to do with your time...

Attempt 1 I went from a 100+ hr working week to an empty house (Mrs left me when I quit) overnight.... Sorry, I tell a lie, she left the 2 cats (loved me) & African Grey (Parrot - hated me)...

The 2nd attempt is a Long story, one I won't bore anybody with here...

Again... OP.. Been there & lucky enough my trade (Finance IT) means I could pull myself back & I'm very grateful to my mate for dragging me back after the 1st attempt... Fckin hate my mate for dragging me back on this one! (Obviously I'm joking but no word of a lie within a week of me joining the project he moved departments!!! Set me up!!!)

But good luck with whatever you do, please read Ossy reply, it can work for you if your mentally ready... the money is just blah blah blah...

Money is always blah blah blah when you have enough. It's hard to work in Thailand with so many of the jobs off limits and reserved for Thai nationals, as my business is.

The OP wanted to know about living in Thailand and it was suggested that he didn't burn all of his bridges by selling up. Renting hos house gives him an income so it's not as important if he can’t get a job in Thailand in the short term.

8 hours ago, rasg said:

Money is always blah blah blah when you have enough. It's hard to work in Thailand with so many of the jobs off limits and reserved for Thai nationals, as my business is.

The OP wanted to know about living in Thailand and it was suggested that he didn't burn all of his bridges by selling up. Renting hos house gives him an income so it's not as important if he can’t get a job in Thailand in the short term.

Well said, & the "Money is blah blah blah" comment was me trying to suggest that it's not the be-all & end-all... There are other (in my experience more) important things to consider... 

Obviously Money is very important... But it's not enough to have a happy life (Just a more comfortable one)

If have someone to look after you, which seems to be the case as you have somewhere to stay for free, then money is fine.

All you would need money for is the visa if it ever progressed to more serious. I was 26 and came with no money, even had to get family to lend me the 400k for two months just for the marriage visa application. 

However, if you find someone to get serious with and have reasonable incomes it is possible to save on top of living well. We currently can save 15k a month. But we are spending Mrs wage on things like the new house still, both wages on a baby, and another on the way, insurance programs for us and the kids. So in theory with no family should be able to live nicely and save quite a bit.

I would not invest in someone else's business, better to teach - won't be a problem as you're educated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. A funny one really.

I have been 100km from Ubon fit several weeks and love it. I am staying for 100% free, being taken very good care of.

Some things have annoyed me although I have taken a relaxed attitude to such matters as is the Thai way:

1: Proper shops won't sell me a beer between 2 and 5. I knew this before but I just go next door to the mum and dad shop and buy it there. They are happy to sell to me at this time so what the bloody hell is the point?

2. I was physically forced by a lady to turn off my mobile phone because it was raining and she said I would die. I turned it off just because I didn't want to argue. I have a first class masters degree in science from a top university in the UK but she wouldn't listen.

3. I saved the best till last. I have been told by several Thais that I must not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES put plastic in the microwave. Jesus Christ.

When I try to explain how these ideas are plain stupid I am looked at as if I am totally and utterly stupid. I was told that only plastic which costs over 100 baht can go in the microwave.

Sorry for the rant, otherwise enjoying myself greatly. 

Archived