Stay awake tonight for a meteor shower spectacle

rooster59

Stay awake tonight for a meteor shower spectacle

By The Nation

af7341350b7013beed6c34ef52b74006.jpeg

People who stay up late on Saturday night till early Sunday can enjoy a spectacular Perseid meteor show, weather permitting, an official of the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand said. 

Suparirk Karuehanon, chief of the academic service division of the institute, said the meteor shower will be visible from all areas of the country on the northeast sky.

The shower could peak at 100 meteors per hour, he said. 

Perseids are made of tiny space debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle and the shower is named after the constellation Perseus, as the direction, or radiant, from which the shower seems to come in the sky lies in the same direction as the constellation Perseus.

Suparirk said visibility of the meteors will depend on whether the sky is clear and dark enough.

People in the South, which has been experiencing rains, will have little chance of seeing the meteor shower, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30323599

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-12

It is all night.  Actually for several days.  Last year was an epic year.  Well worth looking.   I saw two that must have landed within 20 miles one I know was within 2 miles Because it was between me and the nearby mountain.   It glowed for like 12 seconds.  Almost no horizontal movement.   It was just a glowing falling ember at the end.  

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

It is all night.  Actually for several days.  Last year was an epic year.  Well worth looking.   I saw two that must have landed within 20 miles one I know was within 2 miles Because it was between me and the nearby mountain.   It glowed for like 12 seconds.  Almost no horizontal movement.   It was just a glowing falling ember at the end.  

Where was that? with good terrain, a good chance to find it! ?

"just a glowing falling ember at the end" Always thought this could happen, but conventional wisdom in astro. circles is that hot meteorites 'can't happen'  - as in 'and start fires' -

According to one site, at this time in Bangkok they should be in the direction of 33 degrees and 10 degrees above the horizon. 

All I can see in that direction is light reflected off low cloud, and some condos.  Think it will only be visible to people well outside the cities?