Whiling away the days....

Philbot

Today I have babysat my nice for a couple of hours, picked up this morning's Coriander crop and delivered it to the ladies for sorting. Made Celery soup for said ladies watched a couple of episodes of Banshee. Taken the sorted Coriander 125 kilos to market in Korat and now back home having a couple of beers. It's terrible in the sticks!!

On 14.8.2017 at 3:27 AM, steven100 said:

just drink piss all day every day :burp: ...  the hours soon pass

and you'll meet lots of friends.

Exactly! How to find time for Hobbies if you already have a full schedule (goes for most Farangs living in Phuket, BKK, Pattaya):

- 11:00 AM "wake-up" call.
- 11:00 to 12:00 AM = Breakfast.
- 12:00 to 02:00 PM = Bull-Session with the boys at the bar.
- 02:00 to 04:00 PM = Afternoon nap.
- 04:00 to 05:00 PM = Shopping.
- 05:00 to 06:00 PM = Thai Massage.
- 06:00 to 08:00 PM = Second Bull-Session with the boys at the Bar.
- 08:00 to 09:00 PM = Souper/Dinner.
- 09:00 to 11:00 PM = Go-Go Bar, Acting like a fool and buying lady drinks.
- 11:00 to 01:00 AM = Back at home, Hoopla-Hoopla, Bunga-Bunga, Ramba-Zamba with Lady-Friend.
- 01:00 to 11:00 AM = Sleep.

Where to find time for "Hobbies"?

PS: Stay away from Hobbies involving walking and/or driving a Motorbike on public roads. The chances of dying in an street-accident are far higher, than dying of Liver-Cirrhosis.:smile:
Cheers. 

If you haven't developed hobbies by this stage of life, you've made it tough for yourself, but you can take up some.

What are your interests?

I learned to play an instrument, something I'd wanted to do for a long time, saxophone, and became quite proficient, now own four.

Preretirement hobbies were building and flying model aircraft, gardening, gym, travel, cooking.

There's a start....gardening would be difficult in a hotel room!!

Do some research online, and there will be hobbies that will grab your interest.

11 hours ago, paulsingle said:

I spent 8 months in Phuket and never got bored. My activities included cycling, swimming at a local 25m pool, riding around the island on the scooter, learning Thai, going round the markets (and sitting with a beer watching the people), spending time on the beaches, learning about Thai food and Thai life in general from my girlfriend and last but not least having fun in some of the bars.

Touring the country by car sounds great fun! I'll be back in January for another long stay and will definitely give that some thought!

It's more fun if you have a Thai GF with you. IMHO most love going to new places, and you get to see things a falang alone would miss.

I joined the Phuket Hash House Harriers which is a running/walking club who meet each Saturday afternoon for some exercise and mate-ship. We run/walk a different place on the Island each week, so you really get to see a lot of the island and particularly some very nice bush trails often with view points the general population never see. There is a lot of info on the web about the club just google Phuket HHH, everybody welcome.

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

in the time it takes to google that you could do 22 kegel crunches.

Or one arkle off the grommet. My stomach keeps getting in the way when I kegel.

Edited by bazza73

17 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Or one arkle off the grommet. My stomach keeps getting in the way when I kegel.

The arkel is a given, but the whole grommet? You're bragging again... :stoner: It's when your Gonad goes through the posts that would bother me.

Fictitious sport invented by New Zealand/Aussie genius John Clarke, in his persona of NZ sheep farmer Fred Dagg. 
To quote his website "In essence, Farnarkeling is engaged in by two teams whose purpose is to arkle, and to prevent the other team from arkeling, using a flukem to propel a gonad through sets of posts situated at random around the periphery of a grommet. Arkeling is not permissible, however, from any position adjacent to the phlange (or leiderkrantz) or from within 15 yards of the wiffenwacker at the point where the shifting tube abuts the centre-line on either side of the 34 metre mark, measured from the valve at the back of the defending side's transom-housing." 

On 8/14/2017 at 0:35 AM, Philbot said:

However, I'm wondering about how do couples like, expat men & their local dates/partners while away the days if they both dont work.

I too thought about that when I decided to retire and move here permanently in 2007, this especially as I had always been a corporate animal and worked very long hours and if you like, I made work my life.

Fear not Philbot because time will get away on you here and you will wonder where the days have gone, even if you have nothing much at all planned.

My only regret at the moment is not having a partner to play tennis with, or should I say a group with whom I could play doubles because at my age it's easier on the knees!

I do like to lay in a little longer these days rather than getting up at the corporate 6 a.m., so that takes up some time and I then read the news online as well as firing off a few emails, and of course answering a few, over a cup of tea and some toast and that takes up at least 2 or 3 hours, this especially if I decide to check on various football or rugby games. Then it's off to catch up with friends at a local cafe/coffee shop for a couple of hours or less, before meandering round Jungceylon having a good ogle and people watching (and dodging the Chinese of course) and taking time to consider what I would prepare for the evening meal.

Bone fide massages are also something I like to partake of 2 or 3 times a week as well as the occasional foot massage.

Searching out various wine bargains also plays a part during the day as does driving around the island in my car because I enjoy driving and I often visit Phuket town to have a look in Tesco Lotus and Central.

I pick up the ex-GF and my daughter on the Saturday or Sunday and we go out for a drive and for lunch, which is always pleasant.

It's also a nice break when friends visit from other countries and again, I like driving them around the island as there is plenty to see.

I go out evening times once or twice a week and catch up with friends at their bars as well as sing a few rock songs with a couple of bands and do arrive home late, but never roaring drunk, mostly just merry AND I never drink during the day, but I do drink wine every evening.

I also like to help friends out with regards to repairing various electrical appliances and just about anything that a handymen can do.

Doesn't seem like much does it, but every day goes by and I am retired and loving it, something I never thought I could adjust to, but it really is easy, even without a plan.

Thanks for all the replies, advice, etc

Maybe I wasnt clear enough with my query as some, maybe most gave answers as to what I should do myself.  I'm quite happy with my own company: sleep in, have brunch at local cafe, then have a nap, then go for coffee, then go for dinner & stubbies, then head home. During all these "activities" I'm on the laptop reading about news back home and other things.

My query was, what do I & my gf do all day?  How do we keep each other company without getting bored with each other? Sure i can take up a hobby but what about her?  Should i expect her to do precisely everything i do, like i have her on a leash & tell her do as i say?

So you were actually asking members here how you would interact with your own GF?

That's obviously something only the two of you can answer and would depend on many variables in your respective personalities.

If you are asking more in a general cultural sense about differences between Thai and Western wives that is a much bigger and more complex question with many variables, such as differences in language, education and cultural issues.    

You may find your lady here is not the best friend and constant companion your old partner was, and you may do many things separately.  In the relationship you may want to discuss world politics, finance or your brand of football while she is only interested in shopping, food, family, Buddha and lucky numbers. Thai women can be very independent in many ways and don't expect you to be constantly at their side.  However, the advantages of having a Thai GF would general outweigh any differences you may have.

There's probably a reason many expats seek out the company of their own nationalities at pubs, coffee shops, golf clubs, etc.

(disclaimer: I'm talking generally from experience gleaned, not about me or mine or everybody. Many here do have close partnerships) 

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

You want to stay together with your girlfriend long term?

Then you need three lives. Your life, her life and life together.

If you only have the latter, eventually, it will become a problem.

"Then you need three lives. Your life, her life and life together." - this is typical of most relationships, all around the world.

However, how many guys come to Thailand, and over time, end up living only "her life" which is long way removed from the days when it used to be

"Up to you farang."   :biggrin:

Edited by NamKangMan

14 hours ago, Philbot said:

Maybe I wasnt clear enough with my query as some, maybe most gave answers as to what I should do myself.  I'm quite happy with my own company: sleep in, have brunch at local cafe, then have a nap, then go for coffee, then go for dinner & stubbies, then head home. During all these "activities" I'm on the laptop reading about news back home and other things.

My query was, what do I & my gf do all day?  How do we keep each other company without getting bored with each other? Sure i can take up a hobby but what about her?  Should i expect her to do precisely everything i do, like i have her on a leash & tell her do as i say?

Definitely not. Thais are extremely social and she will probably want to hang out with her family and friends. Let her go on her path, and you go yours.

15 hours ago, Philbot said:

To answer your last question, not if you respect her and want a lasting relationship. Why would you treat a Thai woman differently than anyone else? My wife has made friends around here in Rawai and has a cousin in Chalong as well as friends around our home in California. She went and visited her family in  Sa Kaeo twice this past 6 months for a couple of weeks each trip. Thai women are very family oriented. My wife likes to do yoga, teaches it at times as well. She also likes to hang out with me and shop and cook together. We go to the beach together, listen to music, watch movies, she's not kept on any leash and we respect each other as well as trust each other. We've been together for almost 8 years now and we still really like to be together... 

5 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

To answer your last question, not if you respect her and want a lasting relationship. Why would you treat a Thai woman differently than anyone else? My wife has made friends around here in Rawai and has a cousin in Chalong as well as friends around our home in California. She went and visited her family in  Sa Kaeo twice this past 6 months for a couple of weeks each trip. Thai women are very family oriented. My wife likes to do yoga, teaches it at times as well. She also likes to hang out with me and shop and cook together. We go to the beach together, listen to music, watch movies, she's not kept on any leash and we respect each other as well as trust each other. We've been together for almost 8 years now and we still really like to be together... 

Well said - I agree. I have been with my Thai wife for 21 years. For sure we have a few hours apart each day - that's healthy. We are life partners and business partners - it's all worked out well for both of us both personaly and financially. BUT I have to say we are the minority of success stories. Can tell many horror stories. Buyer BEWARE.  

Gotta say, not being able to do something profitable on the side without worrying about WP issues is a huge hurdle for me to retire to LOS.  I'm just not wired to laze around, and I don't drink, golf or chase women for sport.

In the US, I could mow lawns, do an EBay thing, consult in the oilfield, or any one (or combination) of a hundred things to feel (and be) productive without worrying about a neighbor or competitor ratting me out, or having the i's dotted and t's crossed on my WP.  Can't even volunteer safely here.   And It's not about the money.  It's what I enjoy doing.  I go stir crazy after a few days of lazing about, and have no desire to piss away a ton of retirement money traveling the world.- did enough of that for work

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Gotta say, not being able to do something profitable on the side without worrying about WP issues is a huge hurdle for me to retire to LOS.  I'm just not wired to laze around, and I don't drink, golf or chase women for sport.

In the US, I could mow lawns, do an EBay thing, consult in the oilfield, or any one (or combination) of a hundred things to feel (and be) productive without worrying about a neighbor or competitor ratting me out, or having the i's dotted and t's crossed on my WP.  Can't even volunteer safely here.   And It's not about the money.  It's what I enjoy doing.  I go stir crazy after a few days of lazing about, and have no desire to piss away a ton of retirement money traveling the world.- did enough of that for work

This is not one of those, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" posts, but have you considered Cambodia, with a 1 year multiple entry business visa for $300USD, that lets you work in any industry?

Or, from what I have been told, Vietnam, which is basically unregulated, or unenforced, as the authorities encourage foreigners to train up the locals, across many sectors and industries?

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Well said - I agree. I have been with my Thai wife for 21 years. For sure we have a few hours apart each day - that's healthy. We are life partners and business partners - it's all worked out well for both of us both personaly and financially. BUT I have to say we are the minority of success stories. Can tell many horror stories. Buyer BEWARE.  

"BUT I have to say we are the minority of success stories. Can tell many horror stories." - care to put a percentage on "successes" to "horrors?"  Serious question.  

"Buyer BEWARE." - I did get a chuckle out of this.  :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"BUT I have to say we are the minority of success stories. Can tell many horror stories." - care to put a percentage on "successes" to "horrors?"  Serious question.  

"Buyer BEWARE." - I did get a chuckle out of this.  :biggrin:

But NKM you are a long time resident in Patong so you well know the answer to your question.

But I'm in a charitable mood tonight so I will venture my opinion.

Take a bar lady and hope for a long term relationaship - 90% fail

Work on making a relationship with a non bar lady - better than even of it working. 

14 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

But NKM you are a long time resident in Patong so you well know the answer to your question.

But I'm in a charitable mood tonight so I will venture my opinion.

Take a bar lady and hope for a long term relationaship - 90% fail

Work on making a relationship with a non bar lady - better than even of it working. 

You already ventured your opinion.  I only asked you to quantify it. 

I do not disagree with your percentage, and that 90% go straight back to the bar after a failed relationship, just to "turn over" another farang, with more coming down from Issan every week, to join the circus. 

In my opinion, these relationships are successful for the bar girl, until the flow of money stops.  It's the guy who loses, emotionally, and financially.  

Bar girls, however, are readily available, and are a quick fix for the lonely guys that come here, that makes them easy prey.   Like you say, guys would be better off being patient and building a relationship with a non bar lady.

You see so many domestic arguments here, mostly about the bar girl's demands for money or assets. 

I suppose the constant arguing and making up would help many "while away" their days.  :biggrin:

Edited by NamKangMan