Aussie Islamic State recruiter says he joined group from Cambodia

geovalin

A man alleged to have been a senior recruiter for the Islamic State and who is now under arrest in Turkey has told a Turkish court he joined the terrorist group while living in Cambodia. Australian passport holder Neil Christopher Prakash, whose mother is Cambodian, was arrested in Turkey after fleeing Syria. He faces charges of terrorism.

According to The Guardian’s Australian-based website, for months after his arrest Mr Prakash told Turkish authorities he was a Cambodian national named Piseth Duong before admitting to his true identity in March and seeking Australian consular assistance. He reportedly told Turkish police he was “the son of a Buddhist family and later I chose to become a Muslim while I was in Cambodia as a result of viewing videos posted by the Islamic State on the internet,” The Guardian reported.

Appearing in a Turkish court in July, he said: “If I must tell the facts, my real name is Neil Christopher Prakash. I want to remain in Turkey, I am a Muslim. I went to Syria to fight alongside the Islamic State. I stayed with them for a period of three years. “I received two weeks of religious training. I taught myself how to use the Kalashnikov. They didn’t give me any training. I was present in the cities of al-Raqqa, Mosul and Membic.’’

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5077926/islamic-state-recruiter-says-joined-group-cambodia/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 14/08