Belgian couple say they were robbed by “Thai police”

webfact

Belgian couple say they were robbed by “Thai police”

du.jpg

Foto Sander Bral

BANGKOK: -- A couple from Belgium have claimed they were robbed by “police” while staying in Bangkok.

Maxime Kempeneer and Noël Borgs, both 28, from Hove, have told local media how their dream trip to Thailand quickly turned into a nightmare following the robbery which is believed to have taken place last Thursday, 10 August.

Maxime told AD how the couple had been backpacking around Thailand and were in Bangkok the day before they were due to fly home.

Details of the whole incident seem somewhat sketchy and it isn’t even clear where the robbery took place.

Maxime said the robbery happened after her and Noel were surrounded by a group of men at a crossroads.

The men then started pulling at the couple and led them away to an unidentified location.

It was here where Maxime says they were thrown into a dark room and surrounded by seven men.

One of the men pulled at a gold chain that Maxime was wearing around her neck, which broke into two.

The men then said that the couple would be thrown in jail unless they paid them 40,000 baht.

The couple explained that they did not have that kind of money and were held in the room for about an hour, only being released after handing over around 100 Euros.

Maxime also said that the men gave back her necklace when she said told them it was not real gold.

Maxime describe the incident as “terrible” and said that they were not robbed by criminals but by men claiming to be Bangkok police.

AD reports that Maxime and Noel have reported to the incident to officials from the Belgian Embassy in Thailand.

However, it is not known why the waited until they had returned home to Belgium to report the incident.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-14

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

However, it is not known why the waited until they had returned home to Belgium to report the incident.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

Pretty obvious is an understatement?

I can see why people are skeptical. These two farangs who look like they need money and probably earn less than 8,000 baht a month need to make up this story. Shame on them against the fine reputable RTP.

Blacklist them immediately. Or if not refute this preposterous claim than nobody has ever mentioned before.

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I can see why people are skeptical. These two farangs who look like they need money and probably earn less than 8,000 baht a month need to make up this story. Shame on them against the fine reputable RTP.

Blacklist them immediately. Or if not refute this preposterous claim than nobody has ever mentioned before.

They claim they were robbed of 100 Euro's... If this were an Insurance scam they would surely be claiming a greater amount, also if I'm not mistaken insurance doesn't cover the loss of cash it only covers belongings.

I think this is a feasible story. The men 'claimed' they were Police, possibly lying to intimidate the couple. 

I'm sure we'll see an announcement from the Thai Police claiming that this robbery was not by the BiB but by criminals falsely making the claim that they are Police. 

It's shocking and extremely frightening scenario... Robbed and kidnapped from the street, it could happen to any of us at any time... 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

They claim they were robbed of 100 Euro's... If this were an Insurance scam they would surely be claiming a greater amount, also if I'm not mistaken insurance doesn't cover the loss of cash it only covers belongings.

I think this is a feasible story. The men 'claimed' they were Police, possibly lying to intimidate the couple. 

I'm sure we'll see an announcement from the Thai Police claiming that this robbery was not by the BiB but by criminals falsely making the claim that they are Police. 

It's shocking and extremely frightening scenario... Robbed and kidnapped from the street, it could happen to any of us at any time... 

The actual story as reported in a Belgian newspaper is that they lost the gold necklace but the gold watch (which they said was fake gold) was returned to them.

And backpackers wearing gold is about the most stupid thing to do. 
They were caught out by a small gang nothing more to it. The rest of the story is made up by what they learned in broken english from the robbers. No police involved, but robbers found something to extort them.

9 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I find it hard to believe they didn't stay and press charges? I mean why would you leave ???????

Hmm.. leave on their next day flight or march angrily into the nearest police station (most Thai cops speak great English) and demand something be done about the €100 that was taken. 

6 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Hmm.. leave on their next day flight or march angrily into the nearest police station (most Thai cops speak great English) and demand something be done about the €100 that was taken. 

Was taking the Piss. Happens frequently when people rush to condemn another poster because they have zero sense of humour

Edited by Dave67

The Police don't use taxi's to transport suspects to the police station. They use a car, a van or put you on the back of their motorcycle. I think they have been tricked into believing they were police. Worrying that gangs are out there holding tourists hostage for a little pocket money. That's if you can believe this couple. Maybe they just want to attack Thailand because they had a bad holiday. There's no evidence to back up their story. No photos. Don't people carry phones with them?
maxime_kempeneer_392941634.JPG

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Sounds like BS to me

Well, it's possible that some thugs impersonated the police. Plenty of people walking around with shirts, etc., with the word "Police" on it. Such clothing items were even sold in front of Pattaya Immigration years ago.

Would be interesting to know what area of Bangkok that incident happened: while I feel quite safe on Sukhumvit, I would not venture around in Klong Toei at night.

45 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, it's possible that some thugs impersonated the police. Plenty of people walking around with shirts, etc., with the word "Police" on it. Such clothing items were even sold in front of Pattaya Immigration years ago.

Would be interesting to know what area of Bangkok that incident happened: while I feel quite safe on Sukhumvit, I would not venture around in Klong Toei at night.

here comes the klong toei is safe comments.....

Edited by ta158

Good looking couple. Things could have ended a lot worse for them, but (thankfully) now it will just be an exciting story to tell of their adventures in Thailand.

IMHO their account is totally believable and I expect they were very relieved get on the plane and go back home, where they can talk about the incident in safety.