Phuket’s ‘intelligent’ traffic cameras too efficient for printing tickets

snoop1130

Phuket’s ‘intelligent’ traffic cameras too efficient for printing tickets

Shela Riva

1502787918_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- The “intelligent” red-light traffic cameras installed at five key intersections in Phuket in February this year are functioning so efficiently that the budget for printing the tickets cannot keep up, reports the Phuket Provincial Police.

Consequently police have temporarily stopped printing traffic tickets for those caught by the intelligent cameras, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Teeraphol Thipjaroen told The Phuket News.

“Currently, we are facing budget issues as the cost of printing the tickets is expensive, and there are a lot of cases – tens of thousands per month,” Gen Teeraphol said.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-intelligent-traffic-cameras-too-efficient-for-printing-tickets-63464.php#pmwIjqeywyYTiq1k.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-8-15

I  read the full report earlier and the first thing that jumped out at me is that the are producing so many tickets that they can't afford to print more ... then why is there no revenue coming in to pay for the system.

I know that in the UK cameras provide a large large income to local authorites in fine income. Indeed it pays for even more cameras to be installed = big income.

Good to see that the Phuket Provincial Police (surely one of Thailand's wealthiest Provincial Police Depts) functions precisely as the majority of the nation's citizens do.

As the end of the month approaches and money runs out, all expenditure stops. Never mind that such expenditure actually brings in revenue.

No need for simple cash flow projections here, no need for basic cash management, it's spend, spend, spend until the money runs out and then stop spending until the next month's tranche comes in. Hand to mouth.

Unless of course, the PPP have an ulterior motive to keep certain income streams undocumented.

Either way, things can be run better.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

I  read the full report earlier and the first thing that jumped out at me is that the are producing so many tickets that they can't afford to print more ... then why is there no revenue coming in to pay for the system.

I know that in the UK cameras provide a large large income to local authorites in fine income. Indeed it pays for even more cameras to be installed = big income.

Farcical isn't it. "the budget for printing the tickets cannot keep up''. There should be no need for a budget to print tickets. The whole thing should be self funding. 

In the UK, as pointed out above, ''Fixed Penalties'', as these are known provide good incomes, the reason being, the law has teeth and will use them.

If a fixed penalty is not paid within 28 days, a court summons is issued. If you fail to respond to that summons an arrest warrant is issued and it will end up costing you a lot more than the original penalty.

Here it seems they issue a ticket and then rely on the good will of the public to pay up, with no apparent follow up if they fail to do so.

What a lackadaisical way to go about law enforcement.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

In the article it is mentioned the printing comes from a budget different from the revenue.

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Silly boy you forgot tea Money, yep I am also a silly boy as I always forget Tea money as I always think of it as Extortion.

52 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Silly boy you forgot tea Money, yep I am also a silly boy as I always forget Tea money as I always think of it as Extortion.

Silly boy, looks like you have no idea what you're talking about.

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

In the article it is mentioned the printing comes from a budget different from the revenue.

They have solved this problem, half the cameras have been sold to buy more tickets.  Win win, the budget now lasts twice as long.

I would have thought the main problems would be because of the difficulties of sending tickets to the overwhelming number of miscreants fudging the lights and not wearing helmets. Not because they don't have funds to print the tickets!

I also wonder about the follow-up of unpaid fines. (I'm presuming a large proportion wont bother to pay.) If the transgressor ignores the ticket is there any further penalty? Do they send aa court warrant? Does anyone come knocking on the door to impound the vehicle or some such?

Edited by Old Croc

31 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

<snip>

I also wonder about the follow-up of unpaid fines. (I'm presuming a large proportion wont bother to pay.) If the transgressor ignores the ticket is there any further penalty? Do they send aa court warrant? Does anyone come knocking on the door to impound the vehicle or some such?

Dream on ... BiB and authorities too lazy/don't care.

I would have thought the main problems would be because of the difficulties of sending tickets to the overwhelming number of miscreants fudging the lights and not wearing helmets. Not because they don't have funds to print the tickets!
A logical way to follow up would be to inform the vehicle tax office to prevent them taxing the vehicle until the fine is paid.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So here we have a tool, which if used correctly, could actually make a difference to driving habits.... and they turn it off

nothing for it but to say.... amazing Thailand.:crazy: (Im thinking that a "shaking head in despair " emoticon is required)

Here's a thought, for a multi billion baht business.... harking back to the earlier article relating to snitchs getting 50% of fines

privatise the administration of the cameras, whereby the business operators run, maintain, issue tickets and recover fines... giving 50% of profits to the government.

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

it makes perfect sense to me.....two situations mix up thai style... situation 1 only a few are really paying the fine the big rest just threw away the paper and as usual nothing happens to them... then situation 2 comes in play.. the cameras and the printing  costs are fundet by public budget but the fines that are collected are shared by the people who manage the system { a real cash cow indeed }... so when printing budget is up they stop the thing till more public  money is supplied... well now u might think what a bloody..!!!! .. but maybe the Thais just copied the usa way to funnel public money to privat channels... if the usa start a war somewhere ( they   really experts in this at first they sponsor some crook for decades and then they e bomb the wholeplace back to stoneage.. all in the blink of an eye) afghanistan irak etc etc always based on plumb lies...  the people decide for the war run private armys that are rented to the government and so public tax money ends up on the accounts of the presidents best friends.. all perfect legal and a much better cash cow..plus this procedure is appreciated by the whole population.. millions of them join in they shout america first.. make america great... bring democracy to the world us style... we are patriots ( i think maybe idiots) ... and alot of other bs.... so have mercy with the thais they only learning.. the cameras are a first frugil step to copy their big brothers efficiency to ripp off public budget the real way... somebody once sang i did it my way... they just do it the thai way... 

Edited by free123

2 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

A logical way to follow up would be to inform the vehicle tax office to prevent them taxing the vehicle until the fine is paid.

Yes, that the way it is supposed to work. But the Vehicle Office won't cooperate with the police/fines office.   I read a news article that not one fine has been paid (maybe not even issued) by speeding offenders caught by cameras installed 2+ years ago.  

3 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

If I recall correctly that has been done or proposed, but was deemed illegal.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If I recall correctly that has been done or proposed, but was deemed illegal.

This is how it works in Western Australia. 

If you don't pay your infringement notices, further penalties can be imposed, including:

• additional costs
  • suspension of driver's licence
  • suspension of vehicle licence
  • immobilisation of your vehicle
  • seizure and sale of your property and
  • publication of your name on a website.

I've seen truckies pulled up on remote highways, informed their license was suspended some time previously, then arrested to appear before a court for driving without a license. They have to arrange for another driver to collect their vehicle.

I don't advocate such draconian measures here, but surely something could be done to follow-up in the interests of road safety education.