Thai woman defends trespass at Yellowstone Park after online criticism

webfact

20 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Many people still don't get it. It is not just that it is hot water, it is A FRAGILE THERMAL AREA. When tourists trample it up with footprints it takes a long time to return to a natural state. There shouldn't have to be any signs other than at the park entrance. There was a small sign the tourists ignored but signs detract from the natural beauty probably why it was small. The American guy who shot the video did yell at them rudely. Sounds like he is a guide, don't know what authority it gives him but if it was a bunch of big burly American men he would not have bossed them around. He calls them "Asian tourists". Typical can't tell Thai, from Chinese, Korean due to ignorance. Also since they were mostly women blame his rudeness on a combination of white privelege and chauvinism.

Nonsense. Why does every interaction with someone from another race always have to involve politics? Oh and he is supposed to know the difference between every single nationality on Earth? Can you do that? Can a Thai tell the difference between a Bhutanese national and a Burmese national? A Chinese and a Vietnamese? Do they know the difference between a Russian and a German? A Norwegian and a Swede? Nope - they just call all westerners "farang". So why was this dude expected to?

He may have been a little rude (although he was more assertive than rude if you ask me), but if you do something wrong in America, that's how people treat you EVEN if you are a big burly American. They don't take such matters lightly. Perhaps it's a cultural difference, but I can guarantee you that if you kill someone in a traffic accident in Thailand, the Thai police won't smile at you either and will have a serious and stern expression. And no, they won't go around cursing "farang" either, they'll simply try to figure out who was in the right and who was in the wrong.The same would happen if you did something similar to this case in a Thai national park (though generally speaking, the penalties are likely to be far lighter because the laws on damaging natural resources are not as strict as in the USA).

These people were wrong. They need to let go of their fragile egos (clearly they are very insecure inside, hence why they started using threats against the guy who filmed them - I would have liked to see what would have happened if he had been a police officer) apologize and move on. I'm not sure that any further action is needed they have been humiliated enough by all this.

Edited by jimster

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was all set to just write this off as not a big deal and not worth commenting upon, until I saw the bit about her actually trying to justify her error by saying the "sign was small".   If instead she'd just owned up to it and acknowledged it as a mistake, that'd have been the end of it.  But no.  Not her fault; they made the sign too small.  If they REALLY wanted visitors to not do something, they should make the signs BIG, so therefore someone else's fault.   Obviously.    Wow.   'Can't ever admit personal error; 'that moronic "face" thing.   If only someone or something in the culture could've taught them to weigh the relative loss of face in lamely trying to deflect blame & dodge responsibility and just simply acknowledging a mistake and moving on.  Now she comes out of it looking like an absolute idiot.

This must be supremely frustrating to the usual apologists & deniers, since they can't parrot the usual "love it or leave it thing"...

On 8/16/2017 at 6:08 AM, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

The "didn't notice it" excuse doesn't cut it. Because, at 2:47 in the original video, that little runt cleary admits that he knows they are not supposed to go in there.

The guy filming asked the woman why she was in there. She said she knows she isn't supposed to be there but she wanted to. Then goes on to say they are from Thailaaan.

That really sums it up.

People are stupid all over the world.

The Thai bashers,  the Chinese bashers,  and bigots of every sort take the examples of ignorant people

and try to suggest the behaviour is typical of an entire people. Not always true.

5 hours ago, dcnx said:

The guy filming asked the woman why she was in there. She said she knows she isn't supposed to be there but she wanted to. Then goes on to say they are from Thailaaan.

That really sums it up.

Are you suggesting everyone with an accent is stupid? What do Thais think when you're speaking accented Thai to them?

Are you stupid because of your accent?

Lots of speed limit signs going up in Thailand since 2016, many of them quite big but most are rightfully ignored because they make no sense whatsoever. Consider the 90km/h flashing speed limit sign right behind the 120km/h sign on the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway. Which one is it? 90 or 120? I just do 120 everywhere on that road. Even more ridiculous is the fact that between Suvarnabhumi airport and the rama 9 junction, the speed limit is only displayed once, in the outbound direction and it's 120, yet this section of the motorway has the highest traffic volume along it's entire length and if anything would be justified in having the speed limit reduced to 90 or 100km/h. Yet a straight section of motorway well after the Lad Krabang toll booth heading towards Chonburi and Pattaya is only 90km/h for a few km and rarely ever sees any heavy traffic, which is not surprising, given it's in the middle of nowhere? Most major Bangkok thoroughfares have a speed limit of 80km/h while many sections of expressway where by definition you should be able to drive fast also have a limit of 80 (or sometimes 90) where's the logic in that? Most Bangkok roads are congested with traffic all day and you're lucky if you can even get to 50 or 60km/h let alone 80, which, if you travel in the right lane and a motorcycle does a sudden u-turn will mean instant death for the motorcycle and you too (if you are also riding a bike) or a heavily damaged car otherwise.

Maybe that explains why many Thais just don't take signs seriously, whether on the roads or elsewhere. I can understand that, if you consider the logic (or should I say lack thereof) in designating speed limits on Thai roads - like as I mentioned above, placing the same speed limit on a busy city road as on an expressway or having two contradictory signs right next to each other. Unless they've lived abroad or spent much time there, how would they know that when a sign in another country says danger, it actually means danger?

They can post any such signs anywhere. With the zero police patrols and enforcement, speed limits will continue to be ignored.

On 16/08/2017 at 8:50 AM, MaksimMislavsky said:

Well, they trespassed a little bit into some off-limit area for a short while. So what? Why just not let it go. The "event" is neither newsworthy nor does it deserve any attention whatsoever. Truly ridiculous mount made of a molehill.

The US law enforcement agencies are giving it their attention, though, and are investigating the incident. Mrjlh plans to keep us updated.