Health insurance: Your thoughts on deductibles and cost share

DUS

Yes, they have excluded only skin cancer (and related issues but expense-wise it is cancer that would be the concern).

And they may lift that exclusion if you have no further issues over time.

It is a reasonably worded exclusion IMO

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, they have excluded only skin cancer (and related issues but expense-wise it is cancer that would be the concern).

And they may lift that exclusion if you have no further issues over time.

It is a reasonably worded exclusion IMO

Great.  Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience.   

On 11/2/2017 at 8:39 AM, Pinot said:

I find this thread tough to follow. 

My wife has recently become a representative of one of the largest healthcare insurers in LOS. I'd be happy to give a quote to anyone with a couple of choices in plans that are more economical than stated above (I think) . I need your name, age and email address. 

I've just bought a policy that covers up to a million baht per incident. I'm 67 and the total cost is 74,000 baht a year and includes an accident and death policy. 

It seems quite straightforward to follow.  Do you find it tough because you are trying to sell something?

• 5 months later...

I am in the same position as you DUS. I have decided to go with Cigna but juggling the deductible and Cost Share is an exercise in risk assessment. My broker has quoted me

Cigna Global Silver  US$2,726.52 with $ 750 deductible (0% cost share ($0 out of pocket max)). I am assuming the deductible is an annual limit I have to pay before Cigna will entertain a claim? But I am thinking it is too high if i have to have any treatment. I am 61 so  its horses for courses, as they say. But this blog has been very informative and useful guys, so thanks for that. As we get older we may want to keep deductibles and cost share fairly low as the risk of claims increases. But do not forget as we get older insurers hike up the annual premiums as well. My Cigna brokers comment was "you can always deny their policy upon rate up if you do not agree with it. " presumably, this means cancel the policy! , which obviously would be a bad move as we get older. Like you DUS I have to think about the risks and likelihood of making a claim.

• Like 1