Baby enters on foreign passport then gets Thai pasport

So my 6 month baby entered on a UK passport and was given a 30 day visitor stamp on arrival. We then got her a Thai passport as my wife is Thai.

We now plan to live here indefinitely.

So what happens if she overstay her UK visitor stamp by say 6 months? 

If immigration checked her UK passport with and overstayed visa then technically she has to be deported, but how can a Thai national be deported?

p.s. I know that babies dont pay overstay,

As said there is the option to take her on a trip by air to a neighboring country to change passports. Leave on the UK passport and re-enter on their Thai passport.

Another option is a one year extension stay based upon being a Thai national of the 30 day entry they are on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As said there is the option to take her on a trip by air to a neighboring country to change passports. Leave on the UK passport and re-enter on their Thai

passport.

I'm not doubting that can be done, but how does that work when you get stamped out of Thailand on a UK passport, enter another country (either on the stamped UK passport or unstamped Thai passport), then leave that country to re-enter Thailand.  It seems that somewhere in the process, one of the IO's is going to look for an exit stamp in a brand new Thai passport- and there won't be one.  Am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not doubting that can be done, but how does that work when you get stamped out of Thailand on a UK passport, enter another country (either on the stamped UK passport or unstamped Thai passport), then leave that country to re-enter Thailand.  It seems that somewhere in the process, one of the IO's is going to look for an exit stamp in a brand new Thai passport- and there won't be one.  Am I missing something?

Most entry immigration officers at airports do not look for a departure stamps  in a passport. At land border crossings they do.

There have been cases of a Thai immigration officers have questioned why there was no Thailand departure stamp in a Thai passport but that is not a valid reason for denial of entry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Another option is a one year extension stay based upon being a Thai national of the 30 day entry they are on.

Is this a real thing?

Seems a bit strange giving a Thai national a one year extension of stay (they are Thai and can stay with no restrictions)

7 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

Is this a real thing?

Yes it is.

From the police order for extensions of stay.

2.23 In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
(1) Must have evidence that the applicant used to have Thai nationality or that his her parent is or was of Thai nationality.

Many Thais have gotten the extension because they entered on a foreign passport.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

Is this a real thing?

Seems a bit strange giving a Thai national a one year extension of stay (they are Thai and can stay with no restrictions)

Indeed.

Life would have been so much easier had you obtained a Thai passport whilst in the UK, and had the child enter as a Thai rather than a foreigner. Why not visit your local Immigration office, explain the situation and see what they advise.

Under no circumstances would I personally apply for an extension for the child.

That would surmount to acceptance your child is under Immigration control as a foreigner.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Indeed.

Life would have been so much easier had you obtained a Thai passport whilst in the UK, and had the child enter as a Thai rather than a foreigner.

We didnt.

She was born in Singapore whilst I was working there. My job ended with almost zero notice and we then had to leave, with not enough time to make the Thai passport.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is.

From the police order for extensions of stay.

Many Thais have gotten the extension because they entered on a foreign passport.

yes, thanks.

We just phoned immigration and they told us to come in this afternoon and they will sort some extension out for her to last until xmas. They said after that she can re enter on her Thai passport.

Thanks for your useful replies, much appreciated ;-)

4 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

We just phoned immigration and they told us to come in this afternoon and they will sort some extension out for her to last until xmas. They said after that she can re enter on her Thai passport.

I'd be grateful if you'd post back just how the Immigration explain how she can re-enter on her Thai passport later.

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That would surmount to acceptance your child is under Immigration control as a foreigner.

So you are suggesting they remain here on an overstay.

They are under immigration rules for foreigners if they do not enter on a Thai passport and there is no way around that until they leave re-enter using a Thai passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'd be grateful if you'd post back just how the Immigration explain how she can re-enter on her Thai passport later.

Can you give a good explanation why they could not re-enter. The new constitution states a Thai citizen cannot be denied entry.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I dont see what the problem is about leaving on one passport and coming back in on another.

I have duel citizenship, UK and Australian and do this all the time, at one point when I was working in Singapore I used to come back to Thailand nearly every weekend and I used to alternate between my UK and Australian passports. So I would leave on the UK one then re enter on the Australian one, then next time leave on my Australian and then re enter on my UK one.

A couple of times I had the same immigration officer on arrival and he said I saw you last week and your where british? I showed him my UK passport and he said something like ' oh you must have multi citizenship, he then went on the explain that as far as their computer system is concerned I am two comepletly different people, they make no link between my two passports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, STD Warehouse said:

oh you must have multi citizenship, he then went on the explain that as far as their computer system is concerned I am two comepletly different people, they make no link between my two passports.

That is interesting input into a discussion we have had periodically on this forum.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Can you give a good explanation why they could not re-enter. The new constitution states a Thai citizen cannot be denied entry.

Despite your opinion, which I do agree with, the reality is at least for a good friend, who's dual nationality son wrongly entered on a UK passport, 5 years ago, is still trying to rectify the sons Immigration status.

For the last 5 years his son has had to obtain extensions and make 90 day reports.

Following the advise you have given, they have tried to exit 3 times on his UK passport and re-enter on his Thai passport, twice by air, once by border crossing. Each time entry was refused on his Thai passport because there was no record of him leaving as a Thai citizen.

Entry using the automatic gates was refused, I can only assume for the same reason.

Last year they acquired a new Thai passport, but were still refused entry other than on the UK passport he exited Thailand on.

Local Immigration said this situation can only be resolved by visiting CW as they can authorise removal of his details on Immigrations database and give him an entry stamp in his Thai passport.

His son was born in Thailand, has a Thai birth certificate, a Thai passport, on his mothers Tabien Baan and has an ID card.

What they haven't yet tried is to argue that under the new constitution they cannot refuse entry to a Thai citizen.

I suggested when they next enter Thailand, to let the Mother go through the automatic gates with her sons passport in her bag.

He and his son should then manually enter, only having the sons Thai passport (and all his other Thai documents as proof of nationality), along with a copy of the Constitution.

If given any opposition, request to see a Supervisor and/or call 1178.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STD Warehouse said:

I dont see what the problem is about leaving on one passport and coming back in on another.

I have duel citizenship, UK and Australian and do this all the time, at one point when I was working in Singapore I used to come back to Thailand nearly every weekend and I used to alternate between my UK and Australian passports. So I would leave on the UK one then re enter on the Australian one, then next time leave on my Australian and then re enter on my UK one.

A couple of times I had the same immigration officer on arrival and he said I saw you last week and your where british? I showed him my UK passport and he said something like ' oh you must have multi citizenship, he then went on the explain that as far as their computer system is concerned I am two comepletly different people, they make no link between my two passports.

You are not a Thai national.

You will always enter and exit on a foreign passport, that isn't the issue.

If that happens to us then I will just renounce my babies UK citizenship whilst here in Thailand, therefore having to return the UK passport by post back to the UK. Then when my baby leaves god luck to immigration trying to put a departure stamp in a non existent UK passport. So they would have to put the departure stamp in the Thai passport.

Understand that 'The Customs' for crossing land borders are different than for arriving by air - and that the land border crossing formalities can vary from country to country.

The straight forward solutions for this child are (As per Ubon Joe's clarification above) :-

1. Leave Thailand within the original validity date of the entry visa in the British passport, then re-enter on the Thai Passport.
    1. On return to LOS, Let the Imm. Off. know that the child is a dual-citizen and have both passports available for his inspection should he wish.
  2. Apply for an extension to the child's original entry visa - then leave and re-enter on the childs Thai passport. Again.on return to LOS, let the imm.Off know that the child is a dual citizen , and have have both passports available for his her inspection should he wish.

Land borders - faux pass possible.

I run multiple passports. They're all in the same name, nothing dodgy going on. A few years ago, I wanted to do a visa run to use up a brand new 1 year Thai multi-entry 'B' in one of my other passports. So down to Sadao I went to try swopping the passports while I transited no-mans land ( exit visa out of Thailand on one passport, enter Malaysia on another passport then re enter Thailand on the second passport) Simple right?

Yer right - that didn't work very well. Malaysian Immigration were most miffed off when they inspected the new 'swopped' passport that did not have a Thai exit stamp in it. :1zgarz5:They insisted on me using up the passport that had the Thai exit visa stamp. Apparently, that is their rules. You're not allowed into Malaysia across a land border with Thailand using a passport that doesn't have a valid Thai exit stamp in it.

Well, that really made my day. I couldn't now re-enter Thailand with my brand new 1 year visa - a critical requirement of this border run - so I headed off to Singapore to try my luck at  the Singapore land border.

Again, many eyebrows were raised on the Singapore side at the Singapore/Malaysia land border crossing, I eventually got taken aside to a holding/interview room. After hours and hours of interrogation as to why I had multiple passports, they eventually agreed to stamp me into Singapore on my second passport that had the unused Thai visa in it. Thank fck for that The return trip to Thailand overland from Singapore then proceeded normally... all on the second passport.

Moral of the story - passports often get scrutinised far more at a land border than they do at an international airport and there are more rules to abide by and not all land borders have the same customs rules that apply to passports. :jap:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveB2 said:

... Moral of the story - passports often get scrutinised far more at a land border than they do at an international airport and there are more rules to abide by and not all land borders have the same customs rules that apply to passports

Yes.  In theory, you could have "snuck" out of or through Thailand and been wanted for some crime.  But no way to get on an airplane without scrutiny, and no way to sneak-on mid-flight in airborne no-mans-land - so when you arrive by air, they know with certainty where you came from, and that the place you left from "let you out."  I'm guessing Singapore ran some background inquiries, and may have also figured there is no way a wanted criminal would willingly go there.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Indeed.

Life would have been so much easier had you obtained a Thai passport whilst in the UK, and had the child enter as a Thai rather than a foreigner. Why not visit your local Immigration office, explain the situation and see what they advise.

How does one go about getting a Thai passport for a child in the UK?

If that happens to us then I will just renounce my babies UK citizenship whilst here in Thailand, therefore having to return the UK passport by post back to the UK. Then when my baby leaves god luck to immigration trying to put a departure stamp in a non existent UK passport. So they would have to put the departure stamp in the Thai passport.

That does not sound like a good idea anyway but Doubt any UK Counsul would entertainment infant citizen renounciation initiated on parents request.

7 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

I really don't want to take her out, its such a hassle.

Its too much hassle to take your wife and daughter to Singapore for a day out, have dinner by the quay side then fly home???

Get a grip son. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As said there is the option to take her on a trip by air to a neighboring country to change passports. Leave on the UK passport and re-enter on their Thai passport.

Ubonjoe would that also present a possible problem as IO could look for the exit stamp from the last country?