Booking Flight with European Creditcard

When I book a flight online with a European credit card and the price is in Thai Baht. What rate will the credit card company use? Is it the same as if I would take Thai Baht cash to Europe and bring exchange it at a bank?

Visa and Mastercard publish their rates and is usually much better than what you would get in a bank - especially changing baht. The actual rate will depend exactly when the charge is taken.

Depending on your bank their may also be a foreign currency usage charge - my Amex is 3% for example.

3 hours ago, alocacoc said:

same as if I would take Thai Baht cash to Europe and bring exchange it at a bank?

Can't resist to say: hopefully not.

Exchanging Thai cash in Europe would give you a terrible rate.

As above: the credit card organizations publish their rates which change daily and are close (little worse) to "TT"/currency market rates.

For VISA Europe:

https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

2 hours ago, topt said:

my Amex is 3% for example.

Quite greedy.

My German bank/VISA card would normally take 1.75% but under my current terms/conditions they wave(reimburse) that.

So it all depends on the exact type of card and issuing bank.

I move this thread to the banking... forum (not really travel specific).

The question why the price from Thailand is always charged in Baht is discussed in another thread:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/994013-paying-flight-home-in-my-home-currency/

Thank you. I will ask a travel office if they can offer me the same flight for a similar price. Then I pay in cash and I supported a local business.

I like the travel agent 4 seasons at pattaya tai road. Close to the friendship supermarket. They were always nice and efficient.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk