It Taina joke

KarenBravo

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Really ... I passed there last night at about 18.00. At best 25% full. As in dead's ville. And this is peak high season.

Too bad, I thought their regulars would follow them to the new location.  We all have our reservation about this new location.  The few times that I dined there, many customers came by tuk tuks.  No more within walking distance for customers.    It seems that the demographics of the tourists have also changed considerably.  The "quality" Europeans are not coming back anymore.  Everywhere you go you see Russian and Chinese tourists.   Lets see for how long the Red Onion can hold on at this new location.  I have also noticed that they have cut down on staff.

The place opposite of Red Onion is a hostel, offering accommodation in a dormitory for 380 Baht including breakfast. I got nothing to do with them except stumbling over the place. The owner is the same like Lucky Cafe a bit further down the road. Somehow Taina Road is picking up...

20180116_201204.jpg

20180117_104256.jpg

20180116_201542.jpg

10 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

The place opposite of Red Onion is a hostel, offering accommodation in a dormitory for 380 Baht including breakfast. I got nothing to do with them except stumbling over the place. The owner is the same like Lucky Cafe a bit further down the road. Somehow Taina Road is picking up...

20180116_201204.jpg

20180117_104256.jpg

20180116_201542.jpg

I would guess that the hostel owner is also the landowner, as the "Lucky" name is synonymous with that part of Taina Road and I believe their new resort is due to open soon. 

It's the escalating rents that caused the downfall of Taina Road and fewer businesses meant less traffic. I'd love Taina to regain its popularity but until the greedy landowners start to see sense, it won't happen. If, as rumoured, the do actually put in some proper pedestrian footpaths I've no doubt the landowner will see this as an excuse to raise the rents even further.

Incidentally, there's another hostel close to where Easy Rider used to be plus FIN Hostel near Wine Connection and Doolay at the south end of Karon. I know a few more as well. The hostel business has become popular, until so many open that they will do each other out of business! 

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I would guess that the hostel owner is also the landowner, as the "Lucky" name is synonymous with that part of Taina Road and I believe their new resort is due to open soon. 

It's the escalating rents that caused the downfall of Taina Road and fewer businesses meant less traffic. I'd love Taina to regain its popularity but until the greedy landowners start to see sense, it won't happen. If, as rumoured, the do actually put in some proper pedestrian footpaths I've no doubt the landowner will see this as an excuse to raise the rents even further.

Incidentally, there's another hostel close to where Easy Rider used to be plus FIN Hostel near Wine Connection and Doolay at the south end of Karon. I know a few more as well. The hostel business has become popular, until so many open that they will do each other out of business! 

The footpaths are proceeding as we speak. Motorists are already complaining about the road now being too narrow. It remains to be seen if it becomes one way.

Rents are now very cheap, my GF pays about half of what she did for a similar size premise in Nanai, Patong.  No key money was paid.

The street is starting to come to life,  hotels, businesses and restaurants are opening up -  and closing again in the case of the Italian place  (Fabio's?) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The footpaths are proceeding as we speak. Motorists are already complaining about the road now being too narrow. It remains to be seen if it becomes one way.

Rents are now very cheap, my GF pays about half of what she did for a similar size premise in Nanai, Patong.  No key money was paid.

The street is starting to come to life,  hotels, businesses and restaurants are opening up -  and closing again in the case of the Italian place  (Fabio's?) 

That's good to hear. At last they've seen some sense. Will it last?

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

That's good to hear. At last they've seen some sense. Will it last?

Who knows. I try to convince my lady to close her shop every day. Even though it's making a small profit at the moment, It's not worth the time nor hassles.

I'm not very familiar with the street historically, but others say there are now more tourists walking there than for years.

The new footpath should make a difference, I've heard some businesses moved from the north side to the south because tourists wouldn't walk on the road on that side.  

I have fond memories of Taina Road. My first visit to Phuket was on a whim. Singapore stopover from Perth to London. At Singapore I thought I might have a couple of days r&r in Bali. A place I know well and used to speak some Bahasa Indo.  As it happeed the next flight out was Phuket, thus I arrived in Phuket. Book hotel at airport desk for one night. Lots of offshore guys talked highly of Kata so I stayed at some dump near Kata corner. Moved next day day to a much nicer resort off Kata corner. So Taina Road  was my beat. Ate at the original Anchor (Nigel thought he was the manager ... mother in law thought different), and Blue Fin (the entertaining and  often drunk Ray), plus the Dive Cafe (long time now a 7-11).  Later on the Coffee Pot came along (can't remember the big Aussie guy's name) but he died early (smoke too much ?)  

Bye the way my 6 day stopover is now in it's 22nd year.

2 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Taina Road will have more life when more hostels and hotels are built along it.  There is one construction (hotel?) that is completing soon along this road.  It is directly opposite Dr Chusak.

There's big money to be made in hostels and "high end" backpackers.  :cheesy:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

At first I didn't see your smiley but your sentence is actually true.

Hostels are changing. Take a look at the Hostelworld ad on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

The problem is these mega-hostels aimed at "flashpackers" are expensive to build and maintain. I'm only aware of one such place in Phuket and that's Lub D in Patong. 

There are still plenty of backpackers staying in the cheapest beds and living on 7-Eleven toasted sandwiches and requesting hot water for their 5 baht Mama noodles, and many hostels still target the budget brigade, but the mega-hostels, charging up to three times what a backpacker would pay in a traditional hostel, are taking the market by storm and the owners are raking in the money.

14 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Huh?:ermm:  No where in my post did I mentioned "money".  My point was there will be more human traffic when more hostels/hotels are built along Taina Rd and therefore brings more life to it.

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

At first I didn't see your smiley but your sentence is actually true.

Hostels are changing. Take a look at the Hostelworld ad on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

The problem is these mega-hostels aimed at "flashpackers" are expensive to build and maintain. I'm only aware of one such place in Phuket and that's Lub D in Patong. 

There are still plenty of backpackers staying in the cheapest beds and living on 7-Eleven toasted sandwiches and requesting hot water for their 5 baht Mama noodles, and many hostels still target the budget brigade, but the mega-hostels, charging up to three times what a backpacker would pay in a traditional hostel, are taking the market by storm and the owners are raking in the money.

Well, MM, you mentioned "Hostelworld" so I took a look.  I picked a random day next month, but still high season.

Check out the link. 

https://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Phuket%2C+Thailand&country=Thailand&city=Phuket&date_from=2018-02-14&date_to=2018-02-15&number_of_guests=1

After just a quick look on the first page, I saw a bed for 233 baht.  So, if that is what the backpackers are willing, or can afford to spend, on accommodation, what money will they be putting into the Phuket economy????  Very little, I suspect.

As for the "flash packers" spending 3 times more, that's around 700 baht a night.  Hardly "high end."  

6 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Huh?:ermm:  No where in my post did I mentioned "money".  My point was there will be more human traffic when more hostels/hotels are built along Taina Rd and therefore brings more life to it.

Well, no argument from me, KPT.  However, your "more human traffic" theory is similar to TAT's theory that more people simply means more money.

It can be true, if the numbers are high enough, but as I have suggested before, Phuket's infrastructure is not capable of handling the massive numbers needed to bring the same money into the economy as the western market did. 

7 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Well, MM, you mentioned "Hostelworld" so I took a look.  I picked a random day next month, but still high season.

Check out the link. 

https://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Phuket%2C+Thailand&country=Thailand&city=Phuket&date_from=2018-02-14&date_to=2018-02-15&number_of_guests=1

After just a quick look on the first page, I saw a bed for 233 baht.  So, if that is what the backpackers are willing, or can afford to spend, on accommodation, what money will they be putting into the Phuket economy????  Very little, I suspect.

As for the "flash packers" spending 3 times more, that's around 700 baht a night.  Hardly "high end."  

I reckon with 100 backpackers eating 50bahts bowl of noodle soup contribute more to the Phuket economy than 1 high end tourist buying 5000bahts of gold jewelry.

7 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

I reckon with 100 backpackers eating 50bahts bowl of noodle soup contribute more to the Phuket economy than 1 high end tourist buying 5000bahts of gold jewelry.

And food, beverage, accommodation, shows, shopping, sight seeing etc?????  

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

And food, beverage, accommodation, shows, shopping, sight seeing etc?????  

Based on your argument, all TAT needs to do is to invite Bill Gate to come to Phuket once a year and everyone can go home and shake legs.

Edited by Kopitiam
typo error

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Check out the link. 

Did I say anything about high end? No. But let's just have a quick comparison.

A high end tourist might spend a week in Phuket, staying at a luxury resort and paying 100,000 baht for the privilege, eating in expensive restaurants or the hotel, probably shopping very little as the type of goods this type of traveller is attracted to are too expensive in Thailand compared to their own countries. They'll use taxis and tuktuks without batting an eyelid at the prices but they won't go near a street food stall, a local noodle shop.

The "flash packer" I referred to might stay in Thailand for two months. With two travelling together that's almost as much spent on accommodation as their parents, as the typical flash packer might well be the offspring of a high end tourist! They will eat in locally run places, buy crappy souvenirs, dress in Khao San Road attire, purchased from local markets, get a tattoo or three and a couple of piercings, drink in cheap bars and rent a motorbike. Not bad for the local economy at all!

And as for moneymaking, something you scoffed at earlier, some of these modern hostels have hundreds of beds. Lub D currently charges 900 baht for a dorm bed. They also try to keep their guests on the premises to make more money and offer tours and events that cater to that younger crowd. 

NKM, you are right in that plenty of backpackers are on so tight a budget that I don't know why they bother to travel but the new breed, that you probably don't encounter in the circles you frequent, is a growing market worldwide.

15 hours ago, madmitch said:

Did I say anything about high end? No. But let's just have a quick comparison.

A high end tourist might spend a week in Phuket, staying at a luxury resort and paying 100,000 baht for the privilege, eating in expensive restaurants or the hotel, probably shopping very little as the type of goods this type of traveller is attracted to are too expensive in Thailand compared to their own countries. They'll use taxis and tuktuks without batting an eyelid at the prices but they won't go near a street food stall, a local noodle shop.

The "flash packer" I referred to might stay in Thailand for two months. With two travelling together that's almost as much spent on accommodation as their parents, as the typical flash packer might well be the offspring of a high end tourist! They will eat in locally run places, buy crappy souvenirs, dress in Khao San Road attire, purchased from local markets, get a tattoo or three and a couple of piercings, drink in cheap bars and rent a motorbike. Not bad for the local economy at all!

And as for moneymaking, something you scoffed at earlier, some of these modern hostels have hundreds of beds. Lub D currently charges 900 baht for a dorm bed. They also try to keep their guests on the premises to make more money and offer tours and events that cater to that younger crowd. 

NKM, you are right in that plenty of backpackers are on so tight a budget that I don't know why they bother to travel but the new breed, that you probably don't encounter in the circles you frequent, is a growing market worldwide.

I accept a flashpacker will spend more than a backpacker.  

"The "flash packer" I referred to might stay in Thailand for two months." - possibly, but I doubt they will stay on Phuket for 2 months.

"They will eat in locally run places, buy crappy souvenirs, dress in Khao San Road attire, purchased from local markets, get a tattoo or three and a couple of piercings, drink in cheap bars and rent a motorbike." - sure, but there is not a lot of profit margin, per head, with this type of consumption, is there?

I accept that you are talking about a lower spend per "head" but many more "heads" to make the same profits.  Similar to the Chinese market here now. 

It's well known by backpackers, and I suspect flashpackers as well, that Phuket is expensive compared to other places in Thailand, and neighboring countries, thus, most do not spend much time here, with many detouring Phuket altogether.  

I don't disagree with your post, just question how much this market demographic benefits the local Phuket economy. 

7 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I accept a flashpacker will spend more than a backpacker.  

"The "flash packer" I referred to might stay in Thailand for two months." - possibly, but I doubt they will stay on Phuket for 2 months.

"They will eat in locally run places, buy crappy souvenirs, dress in Khao San Road attire, purchased from local markets, get a tattoo or three and a couple of piercings, drink in cheap bars and rent a motorbike." - sure, but there is not a lot of profit margin, per head, with this type of consumption, is there?

I accept that you are talking about a lower spend per "head" but many more "heads" to make the same profits.  Similar to the Chinese market here now. 

It's well known by backpackers, and I suspect flashpackers as well, that Phuket is expensive compared to other places in Thailand, and neighboring countries, thus, most do not spend much time here, with many detouring Phuket altogether.  

I don't disagree with your post, just question how much this market demographic benefits the local Phuket economy. 

There was a time when backpackers were mainly ignoring Phuket but that's less the case now, though for many it's no more than a night or two before heading off to Phi Phi. That's why more and more hostels are opening. 

It all adds up, NKM, and you'd be surprised at how many backpackers do have a decent amount of money to spend; it's just that some prefer to take budget accommodation in order to be able to spend more elsewhere. 

But just to make your day, I will state that most budget travellers I come across, and that's a lot, moan about the transport limitations on Phuket!

16 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Based on your argument, all TAT needs to do is to invite Bill Gate to come to Phuket once a year and everyone can go home and shake legs.

You missed my point.

The high end tourist buying gold jewellery will have a similar financial capacity when it comes to accommodation selection, F & B choice, day trips, shows etc. 

I see your point in that it's simply maths that if you have, say, 1000 tourists spending 10 baht, and one tourist spending 10,000 baht, that's still 10,000 baht injected into the Phuket economy by the lower spending 1000 tourists.  

Whilst it's may be beneficial to have the 1000 tourists spending their 10 baht all over the island, rather than one tourists spending their 10,000 baht in one establishment, I have often said on TV that Phuket's infrastructure struggles with this business model, as we see with the Chinese.  

Basically, the impact of 1000 tourists on the infrastructure, environment, and resources, is 1000 times more than the one tourists, who spends the same money as the 1000 tourists.   

Putting it bluntly, that's a 999 more turds in the ocean, for no extra financial benefit to the Phuket economy.  :smile: 

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

There was a time when backpackers were mainly ignoring Phuket but that's less the case now, though for many it's no more than a night or two before heading off to Phi Phi. That's why more and more hostels are opening. 

It all adds up, NKM, and you'd be surprised at how many backpackers do have a decent amount of money to spend; it's just that some prefer to take budget accommodation in order to be able to spend more elsewhere. 

But just to make your day, I will state that most budget travellers I come across, and that's a lot, moan about the transport limitations on Phuket!

Like I said, MM, I'm not disagreeing with you, just questioning their capital injection into the Phuket economy.

Obviously, a place like Koh Phangan relies on backpackers / flashpackers.  In this case, they are the target market. 

Is it worth Phuket trying to target this market, when as soon as they step outside their hostel, everything is expensive?  Just how much do they put into the economy? 

In relation to the transport issue, it's not only backpackers that know something is not right when quoted a price by tuk-tuk drivers.  Even someone staying in 1000 baht per night hotel knows something is not right when they are quoted 800 baht for a 5 kilometer journey. 

5 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Once again the thread is hijacked by NKM.  The thread is about what is going on in Taina Road not Phuket economy.

On reflection NKM might have a point as Taina Kata economy adds to the entire Phuket economy.  But let's try to keep the topic local ...

8 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

In front of Red Onion tonight. From there in direction to Patak Road a lot is going on.

20180130_200938.jpg

Amazing how they wait to get a table. Wagyu and canadian lobster free there? 

I would not stop the car seeing this. No matter how great the food is in the restaurant.

In all the years here i totally lost the ability to wait in a restaurant.

Enter-》order next minute-》serve under 10 minutes -》 eat -》exit.

Trips outside of SEA are a real torture for mr. schlog regarding waiting time in restaurants lol.

40 minutes ago, schlog said:

I am grateful my real name is NOT Richard Kimble.

41 minutes ago, schlog said:

Amazing how they wait to get a table. Wagyu and canadian lobster free there? 

I would not stop the car seeing this. No matter how great the food is in the restaurant.

Trips outside of SEA are a real torture for mr. schlog regarding waiting time in restaurants lol.

I also wouldn't wait for a table to come free , but certainly wouldn't rush the experience once seated.

I'm often perplexed why people I dine with here seem to be in a great hurry to order, eat, get the bill and rush to the safety of home. I'm usually alone in wanting another glass of wine or a coffee and some conversation after eating. And I'm never ready to place my order as soon as I sit down.

Before emigrating, lunches with the boys would often stretch to evening and beyond. A stagger from the first restaurant to another, via a café for a few expressos, would start the party all over again. All the rich food, copious bottles of fine wine and strong coffee probably explains why health problems have caught up with me in recent times.

• Like 1