Governor bans unsafe tour buses from Phuket, orders speed cameras for Patong Hill safety

webfact

Governor bans unsafe tour buses from Phuket, orders speed cameras for Patong Hill safety

The Phuket News

1502951555_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong announced a slew of safety measures in a comprehensive bid to prevent more deadly accidents on Patong Hill. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- Speed cameras on Patong Hill and mandatory safety checks on all buses coming onto the island are among a slew of safety measures announced by Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong to prevent more deadly accidents on descent into Patong.

Governor Norraphat announced the news at Phuket Provincial Office yesterday (Aug 16).

“Last year there were 260 accidents on this road, and so far this year there have been 125 accidents with many injuries and deaths,” Gov Norraphat noted.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/governor-bans-unsafe-tour-buses-from-phuket-orders-speed-cameras-for-patong-hill-safety-63490.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-17

53 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Do you think it's about time these measures were used?  These are things that should have been in place 20 years ago not now.  

'These measures'  ... you mean speed cameras ? How will cameras stop 'failed' brakes. Have you ever driven over Patong Hill ?

Edited by LivinginKata

3 minutes ago, nabbie said:

Wish this announcement of safety measure should have happened a long time ago so it will stop many unfortunate consequences.

Unfortunately all talk and expect no action ... been like this for so many years.  Governors come and go. Bus crashes continue.

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Do you think it's about time these measures were used?  These are things that should have been in place 20 years ago not now.  

20 years ago there was little traffic.

Also these are no measures. It is only the usual show.

4 minutes ago, schlog said:

20 years ago there was little traffic.

Also these are no measures. It is only the usual show.

20  years ago there were no large coaches, only minibuses sprinting about. The coaches started when the Russian charters started to arrive maybe 5 or 6 years ago. But now we have been overrun with Chinese charters these last 3+ years. The number of coaches has increased exponentially. And many off these coaches are reject imports from other countries, old and in poor condition. The drivers have little idea about good driving skills. 

Theres plenty of crappy busses parked up on beach rd across from Loma park in mornings next to Muslim cemetery, I also like the one with Fuux Tours on it, I am considering taking a Fuuxing Tour somewhere but have not yet decided lol

The last seven days I have been having to run the gauntlet of death over the hill between Patong & towards Phuket Town (visiting Hospital...) been going out of Patong and over around 10.30 am returning around 13.00 so sort of been seeing it  on an average, same time every day;

Every day tour busses struggling up both sides with/without flashers on (they are used like Kling-on cloaking devices to signal all is well and eventually we will make it up the hill, unless we burn the clutch out first or indeed the brakes fail) have not seen any cement trucks but the most interesting was this afternoon, coming out of Patong to Kathu  as I was on my way back, a truck with a back -hoe on a trailer crawling up (glad I was no where near that one on other side)  also seems a lot of Tuk Tuks on the hill, more than Iv noticed before... Oh and not a cop in sight bar one day last week, two on check point towards Kathu

Yeah Speed Cameras, problem solved then! Well done Gov' Easy this road safety game... next!

Instead of pulling over farangs on their hired bikes to potentially racket them for tea money.....the Thai Police would be far more efficient in pulling over the buses and other public transport vehicles to check their basic safety standards.

While the Gov is handing out more cameras how about fitting some in the buses, looking at the driver, the gear box and looking down at the clutch to see what gear the drivers in and if he's riding the clutch.  I'd put money on it that he's in top gear for starters... :)

6 hours ago, Lokie said:

Theres plenty of crappy busses parked up on beach rd across from Loma park in mornings next to Muslim cemetery, I also like the one with Fuux Tours on it, I am considering taking a Fuuxing Tour somewhere but have not yet decided lol

The last seven days I have been having to run the gauntlet of death over the hill between Patong & towards Phuket Town (visiting Hospital...) been going out of Patong and over around 10.30 am returning around 13.00 so sort of been seeing it  on an average, same time every day;

Every day tour busses struggling up both sides with/without flashers on (they are used like Kling-on cloaking devices to signal all is well and eventually we will make it up the hill, unless we burn the clutch out first or indeed the brakes fail) have not seen any cement trucks but the most interesting was this afternoon, coming out of Patong to Kathu  as I was on my way back, a truck with a back -hoe on a trailer crawling up (glad I was no where near that one on other side)  also seems a lot of Tuk Tuks on the hill, more than Iv noticed before... Oh and not a cop in sight bar one day last week, two on check point towards Kathu

Yeah Speed Cameras, problem solved then! Well done Gov' Easy this road safety game... next!

The governor has said many more things. Apparently you did not read the article, or are ignoring what he says while at the same time criticising what he says.

Edited by stevenl

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

The governor has said many more things. Apparently you did not read the article, or are ignoring what he says while at the same time criticising what he says.

My post was slightly tongue in cheek..,

Yes I have read over countless years as you yourself have, what the powers that be say, and what they actually do???  Main point is - Speed cameras are not going to stop the carnage of out of control vehicles over the hill.

Edited by Lokie

5 hours ago, Pinot said:

I think we've reached a new low with the effectiveness of the Phuket Governor. I know...difficult to believe. This guy has got nothing. 

Don't agree. He is trying hard, makes all the right noises and is not in function long enough yet to reach the conclusion that he is ineffective.

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Don't agree. He is trying hard, makes all the right noises and is not in function long enough yet to reach the conclusion that he is ineffective.

I am sorry simon. Do you really believe in your post above. My opinion ... they are all imcompetent  just feeding at the money trough until central gov moves them on.  Only the last Gov appeared to be somewhat competent and he was drummed out in record short time. Corruption rules.

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

He's not going to be here long- hits retirement age in Sep so stand by for the same old speeches being churned out by the new boss. He was put in as a sop as the previous one was  a muppet. He has a low profile and has achieved very little of substance during his tenure-  that was likely how it was planned.

10 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I am sorry simon. Do you really believe in your post above. My opinion ... they are all imcompetent  just feeding at the money trough until central gov moves them on.  Only the last Gov appeared to be somewhat competent and he was drummed out in record short time. Corruption rules.

I found him to be incredibly naive. Engaged mouth before brain on far too many occasions.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Sorry, who?

None of the Governors last very long. I've heard on good authority that the last one upset too many people with his hotel registration mandate and that's the main reason he was removed. Note that this has gone very quiet under the new man!

The appointment and relocating system is wrong but I suppose at least you get new faces and not those who've been connected to the various influential persons for years.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

"makes all the right noises" - and that's all it is, "noise."

Phuket is way past the time for "action" not "words." 

Look at all "issues" that are now compounding on Phuket, with nothing tangible being done to address them. 

There is no leadership, only corruption, which is hardly sustainable for a major tourists destination.