Australia's Hanson wears burqa to parliament in bid to ban them

webfact

2 hours ago, Thakkar said:

One reason for Australians' pride in their country is the fact that Australia embraces a live and let live liberal attitude. Many parts of that attitude are enshrined in law. This means changes need to be debated rationally, on their merits, shorn of prejudices. Debate and persuasion are the order of the day. That very Australian kind of debate cannot be had while self-interested sh!t stirrers like Hanson hijack the issue with stunts designed to build divisions rather than consensus.

Simply wily nilly imposing the worst practices from elsewhere in a beggar thy neighbor race to the bottom of spitefulness is, I think you'll agree, un-Australian.

There is nothing inherently Islamic about face coverings. The requirement does not stand up to either logical or religious scrutiny. However Muslims are going to be defensive about this as long as people like Hanson come at it from an anti-immigrant, andti-Muslim perspective while thinly couching their bigotry in other garb. She and her ilk also give cover Muslim patriarchal fundamentalists who are happy to play victim to continue their practice of female subjugation.

Let the bigots remove their veils first. Then we can have an honest debate.

I assure you that I don't wear a veil! Can you imagine the mess?

Why don't Muslim men wear burkas? Some Muslim women wear beards!

Goose and gander or is in a misogynistic misanthropic issue?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

Deflection

Where in the civilised world is wearing a Burkha appropriate dress? We're not asking for arse cheek glimsing shorts, crop tops or plunging necklines. The burkha is a throwback, it's unsuitable!!

Why is it black? You know, black body radiation? Bacofoil

would be superior. Do they do Al foil Gortex?

Shiney black would be better, or white. Infra red you see; infra dig!

deleted - changed my mind, not replying to silliness

Edited by simple1

10 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Forest and trees mate, forest and trees.

Based on your virulently anti Muslim posts, I guess your inferring something like ban all Muslims. Let's see Hanson run around like a headless chicken if Muslim majority countries ban all  food imports from Australia or stop their oil exports for processing in Singapore for use by Oz.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, Grouse said:

Burkas are an eye sore; a blot on the landscape. They make the world an uglier place. They are unfriendly; passive agressive actually. They ghetto-ise people. They are a discourtesy to others. They are anti social. Facial expression is an essential part of human communication so burkhas are dehumanising.

Finally, they turn reasonable people like me into bigots.

They should be banned in public in all civilised countries.

What is your feeling about other face coverings worn in public?

For example; hoodies

Hoodies

or the face masks worn by many cyclists in large towns and cities

anti-dust-cycling-face-masks-filter-half.jpg

What about the strict dress codes of other religions? Orthodox Judaism for example:

Dress

Ancient Jewish clothing has changed little over the years. The Torah preaches modesty for all, especially women. Orthodox Jewish women do not wear pants and wear long skirts. They wear shirts that cover their elbows. Married women cover their heads. They may use a scarf, called a tichel, or some women, especially working women wear wigs to cover their own hair. The hair is considered a women's beauty and is saved for her husband and not displayed in public. The typical clothing for men includes dark suits, a skull cap and a tzitzit or Talit, a form of prayer shawl, worn over their shirts and under their jackets. They will have strings that hang outside of their clothing. Depending on the sect, clothing may vary slightly. Some men will wear long socks and tuck their pants into the socks (Everything you need to know about Orthodox Jews, 2010).

Read more: http://www.orthodox-jews.com/jews.html#ixzz4r2SNkclh

They may not cover their face; but doesn't that 'ghetto-ise' them as much as a burka does a Muslim woman? Would you ban their choice of dress, too?

Of course, the vast majority of Jews do not dress that way; but the vast majority of Muslim women don't wear burkas either; although a minority of ultra orthodox Jewish women do!.

Edited by 7by7

10 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

One <deleted> losing his temper does not represent all Australian Muslims.

It' all about right of centre provocation, nothing to do with "social research" and likely why the guys were so angry and 'Yes' they should not have taken the bait. 

Naturally members who disclaim any association with the right of centre source & post the material, which as of time of this post has not been of the evening news broadcast by Channel 9. perhaps they are recording material for a burka 'special report' - LOL

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, simple1 said:

The Australian Attorney General was spot on in his damnation of Hanson's stupidity.

"Senator Hanson, for the last four years, I have had responsibility pre-eminently among the ministers subject to the Prime Minister for national security policy. “And I can tell you, Senator Hanson, that it has been the advice of each Director-General of security with whom I have worked and each Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police with whom I have worked that it is vital for their intelligence and law enforcement work that they work cooperatively with the Muslim community and to ridicule that community, to drive it into a corner, to mock its religious garments is an appalling thing to do and I would ask you to reflect on that.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/australian-politics-live-michael-keenan-renounced-uk-citizenship/news-story/9bcb5a0d81a23b8989c497ff571eaea4

Even the current US Administration's State Department condemns One Nation's vilification policies.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/trump-administration-report-singles-out-pauline-hansons-rhetoric-on-muslims/news-story/f82b52b576b1dcfe5f2bfba86054ed52

Hanson's economic polices are just as asinine. Thankfully it appears her support base is eroding as fast as Trump's as the spotlight is focused on her and her three Federal Senators, who include the conspiracy nutcase, Malcolm Roberts.

So if we run this through Google Translate to convert from PC Speak to English, we get; "We are scared of this trans-national clique we have invited into our country, so please don't rock the boat".

I don't agree with either of the protagonists in this row - but what a mess we've all managed to create.  It's in the 21st century, we should no longer be divided by bronze-age thinking, or racism.

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

It' all about right of centre provocation, nothing to do with "social research" and likely why the guys were so angry and 'Yes' they should not have taken the bait. 

Naturally members who disclaim any association with the right of centre source & post the material, which as of time of this post has not been of the evening news broadcast by Channel 9. perhaps they are recording material for a burka 'special report' - LOL

It's all about sh!t-stirring and hate-mongering and conflict-inciting. Nothing at all about reasoned debate, or making society better, because where's the fun in that? 

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

What is your feeling about other face coverings worn in public?

For example; hoodies

Hoodies

or the face masks worn by many cyclists in large towns and cities

anti-dust-cycling-face-masks-filter-half.jpg

What about the strict dress codes of other religions? Orthodox Judaism for example:

They may not cover their face; but doesn't that 'ghetto-ise' them as much as a burka does a Muslim woman? Would you ban their choice of dress, too?

Of course, the vast majority of Jews do not dress that way; but the vast majority of Muslim women don't wear burkas either; although a minority of ultra orthodox Jewish women do!.

Youths wearing "hoodies" should be summarily shot. 

I see nothing wrong with cyclists' masks

Only women should be allowed beards

What does an ultra orthodox jewish woman wear and when? Do we have them in Yorkshire? If not, why not?

Anymore silly comments? If not, I'm off to the Tapas bar......

23 hours ago, nontabury said:

I don't think those against the burka,are demanding that Muslim women must wear mini  - skirts or tank tops. But is it unreasonably for people to show their face.

So you would ban all face coverings; anti pollution masks, full face crash helmets, ski masks, hoodies, etc., etc.?

22 hours ago, Grouse said:

Youths wearing "hoodies" should be summarily shot

An attempt at humour?

I see nothing wrong with cyclists' masks

Neither do I; and I see nothing wrong with a woman wearing a burka or anyone wearing any other form of face covering if they choose to do so. Provided it is not worn for a nefarious purpose and they are willing to remove it for security or identification purposes, of course.

Only women should be allowed beards

Another attempt at humour?

What does an ultra orthodox jewish woman wear and when? Do we have them in Yorkshire? If not, why not?

I don't know if you have any such women in Yorkshire, but their numbers are growing in Israel, so perhaps it just a matter of time. 

The ultra Orthodox Jewish sect where women cover themselves from head to toe

Anymore silly comments? If not, I'm off to the Tapas bar......

If you can't claim an argument to which you have no answer is a deflection; call it silly!

21 hours ago, 7by7 said:

So you would ban all face coverings; anti pollution masks, full face crash helmets, ski masks, hoodies, etc., etc.?

A full face mask,except while worn by a person on a motorbike. Likewise a ski mask worn by a person skiing. I can not see the reasoning behind a person wearing these head covers in other circumstances, especially in a bank or a court of law,where you may need to be recognized. Head covering, no problem. Full face covering should be prohibited. All though on second thoughts,should be allowed for extremely ugly women.

Edited by nontabury

On 29/08/2017 at 11:53 AM, 7by7 said:

An attempt at humour?

Neither do I; and I see nothing wrong with a woman wearing a burka or anyone wearing any other form of face covering if they choose to do so. Provided it is not worn for a nefarious purpose and they are willing to remove it for security or identification purposes, of course.

Another attempt at humour?

I don't know if you have any such women in Yorkshire, but their numbers are growing in Israel, so perhaps it just a matter of time. 

The ultra Orthodox Jewish sect where women cover themselves from head to toe

If you can't claim an argument to which you have no answer is a deflection; call it silly!

It was not "an attempt at humour" I meant it literally.

You clearly have no sense of humour. Is that banned by the book?

My view has nothing to do with security; it's about common decency, humanity and quality of life. Burkhas are grim and ruin my mood.

If this was about security, I promise you that burkhas and many other issues would not be a problem for one minute.

21 minutes ago, Grouse said:

<snip>

My view has nothing to do with security; it's about common decency, humanity and quality of life. Burkhas are grim and ruin my mood.

So everything you dislike, including burkas and hoodies, should be banned because they ruin your mood?

Well it's grim up north, and wearing flat caps and droning on about whippets ruins my mood. Can I demand they be banned? (See, I do have a sense of humour.)

Personally, I think Ms. Hanson should wear a Burka all the time, everywhere.   She should accessorize as well, with a gag.   

Hoodies look scary; but I don't want them outlawed.   Those caps with the ear flaps look absolutely retarded.   They remind me of police helmets where the strap is always blowing in the wind.   Anyone wearing those caps should be arrested by the fashion police.   

Now hopefully there will be a topic about wife-beater t-shirts and people who wear socks with sandals!

3 minutes ago, Credo said:

Personally, I think Ms. Hanson should wear a Burka all the time, everywhere.   She should accessorize as well, with a gag.   

Hoodies look scary; but I don't want them outlawed.   Those caps with the ear flaps look absolutely retarded.   They remind me of police helmets where the strap is always blowing in the wind.   Anyone wearing those caps should be arrested by the fashion police.   

Now hopefully there will be a topic about wife-beater t-shirts and people who wear socks with sandals!

Hey! You leave those sock-Sandle guys alone.

7 minutes ago, Credo said:

What about people who tuck their T shirt into their shorts and pull the waistband of said shorts as high as it will go!?

Then there's those who wear their jeans with the crotch around their knees and their backsides hanging out above the top! I don't want to see their underwear or, worse, their bumcrack!

I think this has gone beyond the scope of my ability to deal with it.   I will alert the fashion police for guidance about just who are the worst offenders, although I am inclined to think the T-shirt in the shorts is the hands down winner.

• 2 weeks later...