4-year Professional Visas Get Green Light

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, smedly said:

seems to me that someone is listening, Thailand needs highly skilled foreigners, the realisation of that fact is a first for Thailand and almost a public declaration that they do not have the people in house to perform certain tasks and manage certain projects, it could be to facilitate people involved in the construction of the high speed rail network and possibly many other tasks that Thailand does not have the ability to do themselves, they may also be looking closely at other countries such as the UK who rely on foreign workers to fill professional gaps that cannot be filled by UK nationals

On the face of it - another great idea that might attract much needed expertise in many areas that are severely lacking. 

I agree with what you mean, however...trying to get a local to do anything that resembles what should be done, is nigh on impossible.

I worked sporadically for several years on RTA, RTAF & RTMC maintenance contracts. All the contracts were thru a BKK company/agent & he gave me 3 "mechanics". I was the Project Manager. I wanted to fire one worthless lout so bad! Couldn't fire him though, because then his brother would quit.

Just watching the hodge-podge way  they approached work made all my hair turn grey.

I resigned myself to watching Youtube all day & just checking on them once an hour or so.

4 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

.....aaaand the usual negative Thai Visa regulars rubbishing a proposal as its announced.  3 pages already of drivel.

Grow up

And the usual TV supporters of the Junta regime trying to oppress the opinions of others !!!

The first topic I read today and already the "moaners" are in full swing.

Life must be pretty dull for so many foreigners here. No wonder they left their own countries.......but,....I ask myself....would they have a positive bone in their bodies no matter what country the found themselves in.

There should two forums....1... For positive and constructive people....and .....2. ...For the rest of you who see nothing but "doom and gloom" and are negative concerning every faccet of life.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

k1.jpg

A plan to offer four-year visas to highly skilled professionals and investors was endorsed Friday by the Cabinet.

Those who obtain the so-called “Smart Visa” can stay in Thailand with their spouse and children for up to four years without applying for a work permit.

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

k1.jpg

A plan to offer four-year visas to highly skilled professionals and investors was endorsed Friday by the Cabinet.

"Those who obtain the so-called “Smart Visa” can stay in Thailand with their spouse and children for up to four years without applying for a work permit."

I wonder what this really means, I wonder if it's a poor translation, the source is a Thai newspaper, not a native speaker translation / writer.

Perhaps it means foreigners granted this visa can work without a work permit.

Perhaps that's not the picture at all - perhaps the meaning is that folks granted this visa can physically be in Thailand for 4 years (and including direct family members) and no need to get a WP as a vehicle to extend for 4 years. 

Confusing. 

In simple terms they need skilled foreigners !

- because Thailand is sadly lacking in highly skilled people of all professions and trades. !

If they would allow skilled foreigners to train the Thais on how to do things properly, they would improve the present situation dramatically.

In the past I was responsible for operating what was the largest Power Generating Plant in Western Europe ...now it's dust ... wonder if I would qualify ?

Edited by JAS21

4 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I'M highly skilled in keeping my family afloat on my tiny pension and savings do I qualify for a 4 year report once visa? or is it more pie in the sky rich few?

My stepson now has a government job for life via my tiny pension  and cash which would never have happened if not for me..I fink I did a very professional job...:stoner:             

90 day on arrival Thai Tourist Visa (urgent).

Most tourist would be satisfied if Thailand made available a 90  day on arrival tourist visa.  Just like most other Asian countries do.  A fee of Bt 1000 or Bt 2000 seems quite OK.  It would have a dramatic effect to filling up the now 80% vacancy rate at most hotels and home stay places in Thailand...good for tourists, good for Thai hotel and home stay providers and good for Thai Immigration.  I like to come to Thailand for 3 months at a time and 3 month back in Australia.  The present arrangement to stay for 3 months as a tourist in Thailand a dog's dinner.  It requires about 2 days of stuffing around with a 60 day + 30 day extension.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

seems to me that someone is listening, Thailand needs highly skilled foreigners, the realisation of that fact is a first for Thailand and almost a public declaration that they do not have the people in house to perform certain tasks and manage certain projects, it could be to facilitate people involved in the construction of the high speed rail network and possibly many other tasks that Thailand does not have the ability to do themselves, they may also be looking closely at other countries such as the UK who rely on foreign workers to fill professional gaps that cannot be filled by UK nationals

On the face of it - another great idea that might attract much needed expertise in many areas that are severely lacking. 

Yes, but why does Thailand need to go through all these special gyrations to do what every other country does with ease already?

1. Singapore = Personal Employment Pass:  Costs little and is good for 5 years.  You just let the government know where you are working.

2. Hong Kong = Apply for a work visa.  Also special allowances for entrepreneurs without huge costs.

3. Taiwan = Apply for a work visa

4. China = Apply for a visa if you are under 60 years old.  If not, then sorry. 

5. Malaysia = Apply for a work visa

Every other country in Asia, whose immigration department is not a profit centre, just gets on with very simple and easy to understand paper work.  Their immigration helps business, not hampers it.  If it is not just another repackaging of the elite card, it will be a huge surprise.  It is certain it will help finance immigration more than the country.