Money

nasa123

I wish friends were like money, so you can hold them up to the light and see which are fake or real.

You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.

The quickest way to double your money is fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

29 minutes ago, electric said:

Perhaps money cannot buy happiness, and perhaps money is the root of all evil .............

but having money sure makes a miserable life so much more comfortable.

Thats if you have a misrable life in the first place!

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

"Poor but happy" is not a phrase invented by a poor person. 

Mm maybe not as a poor person would not see his circumstances as poor, just normal.

I was brought up in a frugel way shall we say. Not a great deal of money in our house. I was happy so were my siblings as we didnt know any other way. 

Having grown up that way despite schooling and subsequent time spent in HM armed Forces. I am still very frugel with money. Why spend 3000bht on a meal in a restaurant when you can have the same meal and more at home or from street vendors for less than a third of that money.

So i still class myself as poor but happy.

Edited by jeab1980

11 hours ago, nasa123 said:

Money can buy a house, but not a home.

Money can buy a clock, but not time.

Money can buy a position, but not respect.

Money can buy Insurance, but not safety.

Money can buy a bed, but not sleep.

all rationalizations for not having much

Op I do understand your post and your concerns.

I wish for you that you will find the strength and the wisdom to detach from

money  and,  the opinion others have about you.

Thailand is a good ground to practice these values-if you feel following them-

If you conquer these values, you will gain freedom and joy,

like you never knew was possible.

Best of luck

I think you dont get it.-or just allow me to disagree-

If you believe the main purpose of life is to ''have fun" , you dont need loads of cash in order to ''have fun''

In order to ''have fun''everyday, you only need real friends and a real companion which are going to love and respect

you, for who you are. -and you are supposed to give it back-

My idea of fun is caring and beeing cared from my family, friends, companion, and general public.

If your idea of fun is a ferrari or beeing able to buy somebody s companionship..I rest my case.

Money cannot provide happiness.Rich people are as miserable as poor ones.I can think of a hundred

examples, but I ll tell you only one.

Aristotelis Onassis was propably the richest man in his time.He became depressed after his son s death,

and never recovered.He never had a succesfull relationship (or marriage) with any woman in his life.

His grandaughter, seems so far, unable to communicate human affection.

We are supposed to learn to love and accept, and learn to be loved and accepted, through our short life in this planet,

and this a responsability, since we are the only fully consiouss beeings.

5 hours ago, jerojero said:

True. But who has more fun, the horribly Rich or the horribly Poor.

I would say the horibly poor. 

Rich try to buy happiness, the poor make happiness.

Edited by jeab1980

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, jeab1980 said:

You don't need any of the above to be happy and content with life. Money is the root of all evil.

On one hand money is indeed the root of all evil, and on the other, try living in Thailand without a sizeable chunk of it.

IMO money is evil when one tries to have more than one needs. Does one really need to pay 90 million $ to buy a house?

What is certain, IMO, is that no one with more than a million $ earned it by hard work. Whether that makes them evil is something I won't say.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:07 AM, jeab1980 said:

I think the horribly poor that I see living in horrid shacks in Chiang Mai would trade every moment of happiness they ever had in their entire lives to be horribly rich.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, jeab1980 said:

Mm maybe not as a poor person would not see his circumstances as poor, just normal.

I was brought up in a frugel way shall we say. Not a great deal of money in our house. I was happy so were my siblings as we didnt know any other way. 

Having grown up that way despite schooling and subsequent time spent in HM armed Forces. I am still very frugel with money. Why spend 3000bht on a meal in a restaurant when you can have the same meal and more at home or from street vendors for less than a third of that money.

So i still class myself as poor but happy.

Hmmm. I think a 50 baht street vendor meal is considerably less than a third of 3,000, and plenty of restaurants have meals for less than 200.

My father was middle class professional so we weren't poor by any means, but we were still frugal. Modern wastefulness is a crime, IMO.

However I would dispute that happiness depends on the amount of wealth one has. Poor people can be happy, and rich unhappy, but it doesn't always work that way. I'm sure the destitute beggar living on a stinking garbage tip isn't ever "happy", and I know that a million $ would make me as happy as the proverbial pig in clover.

:smile:.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmm. I think a 50 baht street vendor meal is considerably less than a third of 3,000, and plenty of restaurants have meals for less than 200.

My father was middle class professional so we weren't poor by any means, but we were still frugal. Modern wastefulness is a crime, IMO.

However I would dispute that happiness depends on the amount of wealth one has. Poor people can be happy, and rich unhappy, but it doesn't always work that way. I'm sure the destitute beggar living on a stinking garbage tip isn't ever "happy", and I know that a million $ would make me as happy as the proverbial pig in clover.

:smile:.

Thats beacuse money breeds greed which in turn gives you the feeling of happiness si in that respect money can buy happiness. But not real Happiness that comes from within and cant be bought.

The third comes from cooking at home v eating out. The 3k didnt come from me but another poster i was mearly saying that 3k is way over the top. As for the begger i only know 2 and havent seen them for oh must be 20 years now in UK both were happy in there own way.

Ps wont bother answering the rest of my posts you quoted and  are stalking me on ok

Edited by jeab1980

"Money can buy a clock, but not time" It can! If you have money, you can hire people to to things for you, thus having more time for yourself. 

"Money can buy a position, but not respect" Oh yes it most likely can. Because usually if you're rich you're also better educated, better mannered, smarter, more influential - that's usually how you get rich in the first place and generally people respect you for that.

"Money can buy Insurance, but not safety" - A good surveillance system, life guards, safer transportation options do increase your safety. 

"Money can buy a bed, but not sleep" - I don't know, when you have so much money I guess you won't have to stay up, tossing and turning, worrying about your job or the bills. 

The only thing it can't buy, in my opinion, is a home. But then again if you have a lot of money maybe fights will happen less. 

On 8/21/2017 at 4:24 AM, Moo du said:

Money cannot provide happiness.

that is correct. besides money you should own stocks, bonds, precious metals, precious stones, immobile property (preferably in London, New York and Paris), an island in the Caribbean, a yacht, a learjet, a fleet of vintage and a fleet of new cars. and a well stocked wine cellar won't do any harm. :smile:

On 8/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

On one hand money is indeed the root of all evil, and on the other, try living in Thailand without a sizeable chunk of it.

IMO money is evil when one tries to have more than one needs. Does one really need to pay 90 million $ to buy a house?

What is certain, IMO, is that no one with more than a million $ earned it by hard work. Whether that makes them evil is something I won't say.

$ 90 million for a house is indeed outrageous because spending $ 80 million is more than enough to build or buy a comfortable house.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:07 AM, jeab1980 said:
On 8/21/2017 at 1:23 AM, jerojero said:

True. But who has more fun, the horribly Rich or the horribly Poor.

do you have these attacks often and do they last long? :unsure:

17 minutes ago, Naam said:

do you have these attacks often and do they last long? :unsure:

About as ĺong as yours do.

Truth hurts doesn't it. Just that sometimes some cant see it only what they want to see and belive. If you open your eyes you will see whos happier.

25 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

About as ĺong as yours do.

Truth hurts doesn't it. Just that sometimes some cant see it only what they want to see and belive. If you open your eyes you will see whos happier.

unfortunately i don't know any horribly poor people to check your claim. but you have my blessing and i hope it makes you even happier besides the happiness derived from being poor.