Why Falangs Pay Ten Times More Than Thai

gjones

Over the festive season I took my family from the UK sight seeing here in the Kingdom of Thailand and for the very first time was disappointed and annoyed by the officials with medals who seem to know best.

Having driven down in a convoy from our home in Bangkok with my pregnant wife at the wheel of Fortuner accompanied by my mother, and my two daughters and myself driving our aging 4 door 4x4 Grandis with my friend Ron, his wife and two sons, we arrived at Hua Hin on schedule to have Christmas lunch at the Hilton.

As Boxing day blurred to existence our early start to Prachuap Khiri Khan via Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park was brought to a halt from a well honored Thai national park official with multi-color ribbons displaying his courage in line of duty.

The obviously well decorated gentleman summoned our convoy over as we entered the national park from the Dolphin Bay resort side and demanded a fee of 400 Baht each to enter the National Park.

He smiled and asked us for 400 Baht per adult and 200 Baht per child, when my wife came forward from the following vehicle he told her that the cost for falangs was 400 Baht each but Thais need only to pay 40 Baht.

During his explanation several other vehicles was left to enter the National Park without being challenged which caused me to react with a big “sod you” with a big smile on my face as I jumped back to the vehicle and did a “U” turn back to the main Phetkasame road.

From here we entered the Park from a different route which had no obnoxious medallion man demanding silly money.

Has any of you had this experience and can anyone explain why falangs has to pay ten times more?

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style...npid=8&lg=2

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're right, two-tiered pricing is one big black mark on the Thai tourism industry. It's bad for Thailand and bad for Tourists. TAT should know that the average tourist (and foreign resident) spends gobs of money here weekly/monthly. To niggle a few extra baht for an appearance-based fee is going to turn a lot of foreigners away to other countries to enjoy their vacations. By 'appearance based', I mean each person is judged whether he/she looks Asian or not. It's uncomfortable and annoying and translates to very bad manners to many of us who individually spend millions of baht in Thailand over the years.

There have been many postings regarding two-tiered pricing and I guess it's something we'll have to live with it. I often refuse to enter parks unless I can convince the officers that I live here and pay tax. Sometimes they accept it sometimes they don't.

Yesterday I went to Wat Pragaew and tried to show my government ID card (I work in a government university) and was told that if the "big boss" had been there I could have entered free but that the staff who were there didn't have the authority to let me in. I can add that I previously have been allowed in for free but had to sign several copies of my ID card. It must have cost them 250 Baht in administration.

Anyway I noticed something new yesterday. I decided to take the boat back along the river to Thaksin bridge. At the pier near Wat Pragaew (I forget the name) I noticed a sign in English: "Landing Fee 20 baht". Is this something new? I have never seen it before. I also noticed several farangs being stopped and asked to pay 20 baht. What next???? Will BTS and MRT be taking "Landing Fees" at all major stations?

I don't know. Now I am guessing that maybe coz they assumed that farangs don't live here, so they don't pay tax. So you pay more now. I know it sounds stupid. But when I went to school in the west, all foreign students must pay at least 3 times the local ones pay for tuition fees.

I don't have any source. I am just guessing.

Ocerseas student fees everywhere are more than local students pay but I bet when you studied in the west, your bus fare was the same as everyone else, you paid the same as eveyone else to go to a theme park or tourist attraction & wasn't ask to pay to get off the bus? :o

But when I went to school in the west, all foreign students must pay at least 3 times the local ones pay for tuition fees.

This double pricing is one of the reasons I never go to nature reserves or similar places that follow this practice. :D

Over the festive season I took my family from the UK sight seeing here in the Kingdom of Thailand and for the very first time was disappointed and annoyed by the officials with medals who seem to know best.

Having driven down in a convoy from our home in Bangkok with my pregnant wife at the wheel of Fortuner accompanied by my mother, and my two daughters and myself driving our aging 4 door 4x4 Grandis with my friend Ron, his wife and two sons, we arrived at Hua Hin on schedule to have Christmas lunch at the Hilton.

As Boxing day blurred to existence our early start to Prachuap Khiri Khan via Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park was brought to a halt from a well honored Thai national park official with multi-color ribbons displaying his courage in line of duty.

The obviously well decorated gentleman summoned our convoy over as we entered the national park from the Dolphin Bay resort side and demanded a fee of 400 Baht each to enter the National Park.

He smiled and asked us for 400 Baht per adult and 200 Baht per child, when my wife came forward from the following vehicle he told her that the cost for falangs was 400 Baht each but Thais need only to pay 40 Baht.

During his explanation several other vehicles was left to enter the National Park without being challenged which caused me to react with a big “sod you” with a big smile on my face as I jumped back to the vehicle and did a “U” turn back to the main Phetkasame road.

From here we entered the Park from a different route which had no obnoxious medallion man demanding silly money.

Has any of you had this experience and can anyone explain why falangs has to pay ten times more?

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style...npid=8&lg=2

this old chestnut again. for national parks i have no problem with the policy.they must be maintained and that costs money,do you think it would be fair for a local thai manual worker to be unable to take his family to a beautiful area of HIS COUNTRY because he must pay several hundred baht each? a family of farang turn up in their 4 wheel drives after xmas lunch at the hua hin hilton(what did that cost?)and complain about paying for the upkeep of a beautiful area they wish to visit(5-6 GBP)i do not agree that we are ripped off in this case ,rather we are subsidising locals who perhaps would otherwise not be able to afford to visit.dual pricing is a difficult subject ,but i feel sometimes it is acceptable. my mother always complains that some museums in the uk are free to visitors ,but the locals are paying with their taxes and therefore foreigners should be charged. no easy answers to this old chestnut

this old chestnut again. for national parks i have no problem with the policy.they must be maintained and that costs money,do you think it would be fair for a local thai manual worker to be unable to take his family to a beautiful area of HIS COUNTRY because he must pay several hundred baht each? a family of farang turn up in their 4 wheel drives after xmas lunch at the hua hin hilton(what did that cost?)and complain about paying for the upkeep of a beautiful area they wish to visit(5-6 GBP)i do not agree that we are ripped off in this case ,rather we are subsidising locals who perhaps would otherwise not be able to afford to visit.dual pricing is a difficult subject ,but i feel sometimes it is acceptable. my mother always complains that some museums in the uk are free to visitors ,but the locals are paying with their taxes and therefore foreigners should be charged. no easy answers to this old chestnut

In the US, state residents pay less for a fishing or hunting license than non-residents, same with state university tuition. The idea being that state residents pay with their taxes and non-residents don't.

That, I understand. Like I understand charging non-resident tourists a higher price than locals to use govt parks. But 10 times is excessive.

However, the dual pricing that goes on in the private sector has no basis in any kind of reality other than greed and bigotry.

I don't know. Now I am guessing that maybe coz they assumed that farangs don't live here, so they don't pay tax. So you pay more now. I know it sounds stupid. But when I went to school in the west, all foreign students must pay at least 3 times the local ones pay for tuition fees.

I don't have any source. I am just guessing.

Those laws are based on residency, and if a foreigner or out-of-stater of any sort became a legal resident they would then qualify for the local tuition. The law the OP refers to is different, because it is based solely on racial appearance. It is plain and simple a racist law, and the fact that there are no official exemptions for locally-resident farangs or taxpayers, etc. underlines that fact. Fortunately to date the officials at the big park I visit ignore this rip-off and kindly offer the local price when I pull up. You did the right thing by entering using a different route. Any attempts at subverting dual-pricing based on race, whether by the private sector or the government, is justified.

I expect that we will be shortly joined, as always, by those who think this is justified. Let me ask them this question. Would you be OK with laws in the US or Europe requiring people from Asia to pay 10x normal fees to national parks, with the criteria based on their physical appearance?

been living here for 2 years now and I expierienced it as well, for example dusit zoo is i think 50 baht for thai and 100 baht for farang, and that case i wont argue and just pay the 100, but if its alot like 500+ i probably wouldnt go, it all depends on the situation but unfortunatly thais know we have money so some try to take advantage of that, because they know we do and thats hows thai are, thank god its not in all places just some though, you can try to avoid it sometimes but sometimes you gotta make ends meet with them ; ;

another example i went to a national park in Khon kaen issan, where the dinosaurs are forgot the name, think thais were free and farang 200 baht..... o well its not much but i hate when they do that as well , try to sneak it the park lol , i aint that cheap though lol.

Two tiered prices are understandable to a point. Like the examples of tuition costs, hunting permits, and such. However, 10 times is just greedy, and if you've seen the rubbish strewn, pot-holed state of many parks, it's obvious the windfall is not going to maintain the park.

Not much you can do but vote with your feet as I and many others do.

In many cases, a forgiener showing a valid work permit or Thai driver's license is allowed in at the local price.

Would you be OK with laws in the US or Europe requiring people from Asia to pay 10x normal fees to national parks, with the criteria based on their physical appearance?

Only the ones who match those criteria and also defend two-tiered pricing in Thailand. :o

I agree it does not make sense that foreigners who are tax payers in Thailand are forced to pay a higher price, and this is the biggest beef I have with the idea.

As for tourists, I agree with sbk - a slightly higher price for tourists (all tourists, not just non-Asians) is acceptable due to them not paying tax. Although I must admit I have never seen Japanese tourists get in for the local price.

Although I must admit I have never seen Japanese tourists get in for the local price.

That's probably because they are obviously forigen. The park attendant has probably faced the wrath of those with Chinese faces who were accidently assumed to be forigeners.

Ocerseas student fees everywhere are more than local students pay but I bet when you studied in the west, your bus fare was the same as everyone else, you paid the same as eveyone else to go to a theme park or tourist attraction & wasn't ask to pay to get off the bus? :D
But when I went to school in the west, all foreign students must pay at least 3 times the local ones pay for tuition fees.

I would rather pay double for the bus than pay for the "ginormous" tuition. :o

And what? "wasn't ask to pay to get off the bus"? I think that you totally got robbed on that.

Any how, I still think double pricing is not cool at all.

In the US, state residents pay less for a fishing or hunting license than non-residents, same with state university tuition. The idea being that state residents pay with their taxes and non-residents don't.

That, I understand. Like I understand charging non-resident tourists a higher price than locals to use govt parks. But 10 times is excessive.

However, the dual pricing that goes on in the private sector has no basis in any kind of reality other than greed and bigotry.

as i have said ,this is a difficult subject.i do agree,SBK ,that it has no place in the private sector,and fortunately i have rarely encountered it there.one case worth mentioning is the grand palace in bangkok,200 baht for foreigners(not only farang),and free for thais.would anybody argue that this was wrong? i certainly would not ,as i think the locals should be able to visit this marvelous place regardless of their financial situation.

it would be sad if the prices were "evened out" and therefore disqualifying the poor.

Next time you go to one of those places, be sure to have at least 8,000 baht with you, plus a note for 20 baht. First, show the Thai drivers' licenses, or your work permit. If they still insist on the full ten-fold price, flash all your money and offer to pay 20 baht. If they don't accept, walk away with a smile.

Ah yes, Hilton Hua Hin. Nice place. I'm going down there again myself in about 2 weeks to stay for a week. FYI though, they charge foreigners more than Thais there (not for lunch... but for your rooms) as well. You might want to take it up with Paris.

Same for just about all the LeMeridien hotels in Thailand as well. Not 10 times more, but something like 10-20% depending on the hotel. Like most things where prices are involved... they do so because they can. You have the right not to give them your patronage.

:o

OK, you might feel better if you hear this.

Some hotels in bkk don't even accept you as a customer if you are Thai. Foreigners only! I have heard this for about a year or so. This upset me so much, and so many other Thais.

So sad. :o

My girlfriend went into a shop near Khao San Road the other day and was told to get out as they only serve farrang customers!

Yeah... Thai's know what the prices should be.... and they can't have any of that. :o

Yes, generally, foreigners (farangs) pay more in Thailand, from national parks to hotels to restaurants to those "wonderful" international hospitals.

But, the Thais are not the only ones guilty of double pricing. I've personally seen Japanese tourists get charged 25-50% more than farangs in farang-owned bars and restaurants.

And, in shops, I've also seen Thais pay more for goods than farangs because some are just too shy to negotiate as aggressively.

My issue with the national parks is that many aren't worth the time. Some are truly spectacular and I would happily pay 1000bhat to see, others I wouldn't even go for free.

For example, down south, at Had Chao Mai Beach/National Park, I got charged 200bhat for my first visit. Needless to say, I didn't go again. Now my friends tell me, it's 400bhat just to go to this beach for a farang. It's not even that great with the litter and trash the Thai visitors left behind. I liked the area and was planning to rent a bungalow for a few months, but I couldn't stomach paying 400bhat daily to go to the beach. I've lived by the ocean all my life and the idea of paying just to get onto a beach is just repugnant to me.

Why Falangs Pay Ten Times More Than Thai

It's like the old age question why the polite particle of 'kon' before thai and jeen but not before falang and yee -bpoon ?

I have my explanation, but gave up asking kon thai this long ago.

But, the Thais are not the only ones guilty of double pricing. I've personally seen Japanese tourists get charged 25-50% more than farangs in farang-owned bars and restaurants.

Farang owned places are (not always but often) the third tier of pricing. They don't discriminate though, the prices are higher for everyone.

Edited by cdnvic

Really? How does this happend? There is a handwritten note of *1.25 at the bottom of the reciept the waiter brings to the table, proclaiming the 'special' price? Perhaps they bring out special menu-sheets, marked 'japanese only'?

Never seen dual-pricing in any restaurant, but what do I know...

Ah yes, Hilton Hua Hin. Nice place. I'm going down there again myself in about 2 weeks to stay for a week. FYI though, they charge foreigners more than Thais there (not for lunch... but for your rooms) as well. You might want to take it up with Paris.

Paris, can I take my dogs there?

Same for just about all the LeMeridien hotels in Thailand as well. Not 10 times more, but something like 10-20% depending on the hotel. Like most things where prices are involved... they do so because they can. You have the right not to give them your patronage.

:o

Really ? Well what about when I book through an agency for this or any other hotel ? Never have a problem doing this even in Thailand on a foreign credit card, but when my wife has tried the same with a Thai issued credit card its " Sorry this rate not available to domestic tourist" Wife " Can I use my British credit card then ?" Sure, no problem.

I don't know. Now I am guessing that maybe coz they assumed that farangs don't live here, so they don't pay tax. So you pay more now.

This argument doesn't have any merit I am afraid. When Asian tourists come to my Country they do not pay taxes either but they are charged exactly the same for all venues and National Parks. Could you imagine a sign saying: Australians Residents $10 - Asian Tourists $100, there would be an outcry if that sort of pricing was in place. Every Thai I have asked so far has said they would hate to pay 10 times more to enter our National Parks.

Incidently, I stopped going to all Thai National Parks 5 years ago as protest against the 10 X higher pricing, it is the only action we as farangs can take.

OK, you might feel better if you hear this.

Some hotels in bkk don't even accept you as a customer if you are Thai. Foreigners only! I have heard this for about a year or so. This upset me so much, and so many other Thais.

So sad. :o

That is sad and it happened to my wife once at a hotel in Khao San Road. She had to show evidence of being married to me, once proved the hotelier eventually let us check in. After we got our room key I made my feelings known, I told him this policy is wrong, they were discriminating against their own people. Everyone should be treated the same.

actually ASIANS dont pay local price, they are also suppose to pay more. They always think I look chinese and ALWAYS make me pay the tourist price.

People always seem to think ASIANS pay local when its only for Thai's.

And Bmanly, that would be bad if they did that in Australia. But they dont do that in Thailand, I havent seen a sign that had different prices for white people