Prisoners in Pattaya Soi 9 jail praise farang ‘heroes’ for unblocking their toilet

rooster59

Prisoners in Pattaya Soi 9 jail praise farang ‘heroes’ for unblocking their toilet

image.png

A group of foreigners have been praised for coming to the aid of prisoners in Pattaya Soi 9 jail.

The issue was a blocked toilet which had been overflowing filthy waste water for more than three weeks.

The western volunteers were named in a Facebook post as Margaret Grainger,  Ole Eie, Jelson Panes and Thai national ณัฐธยาน์ ศรีคำภา (Wee).

Margaret said it took the four of them almost two hours to unblock the toilet last Friday.

“The prisoners kept saying thank you and how can you be so strong to do that for us. My response.. "God is love.. Jesus loves you... I am called to serve not be served!”, Margaret wrote in a Facebook comment.

The group of volunteers are from the Hand to Hand Foundation who do noble work with those in need throughout Pattaya.

According to its website the Hand to Hand Foundation seeks to “protect those who are marginalised regardless of their race, age or religion.”

The foundation helps people in Pattaya by providing services that help them acquire legal documentation or by giving food and clothes.

The foundation visits Banglamung and Soi 9 jails three times per week providing food and water to more than 1,500 inmates each month.

Many of the inmates are illegal immigrants from neighbouring countries, the foundation says.

As well as helping prisoners, the Hand to Hand Foundation provides educational programs and scholarships to children from local slums and works closely with social welfare, police, mayor and other government departments to help support the poor and at risk in the community.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-20

I used to be a volunteer with hand to hand visiting the cells at Soi 9 and Banglamung three times a week. It became apparent very quickly that the cops had absolutely no care whatsoever about any problems or how appalling the cells were. Blocked toilets were a regular occurrence and it was up to the inmates to sort it out. Virtually all of the maintenance, cleaning, painting, installation of fans etc. was done by Hand to Hand. Margaret Grainger, who heads the group up, is a very special sort of woman. The world would be a far better place if there were more around like her and well done to her again, for once more jumping in to save the day.

47 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It became apparent very quickly that the cops had absolutely no care whatsoever about any problems or how appalling the cells were.

I dont think that Thais generally care very much about others, unless there is some merit-making potential in it.

17 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I dont think that Thais generally care very much about others, unless there is some merit-making potential in it.

That is sadly very true and that is what is holding the country back.  It is very sad but when you are always trying to eek out a living, it is hard to think of others and be charitable. 

I had the pleasure of staying there a few weeks. the only time the cops entered the cells is to supply their ladyboy goons with yaba and collect proceeds from the days sales. there was one occasion when they came in and searched everybody because the ladyboy in charge had lost the proceeds from the days sales. apart from that, everything is done by the ladyboys, including negotiating payments for release.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

That is sadly very true and that is what is holding the country back.  It is very sad but when you are always trying to eek out a living, it is hard to think of others and be charitable. 

Not all Thais are always trying  to eek out a living. There are many wealthy Thais and maybe even many more who have farang jackpots. The Thais have not yet developed the nanny state most of us are used to. Many jails in the middle east are far worse. They seem to believe, and I see some merit in it, that if you have violated the laws of the land, you have lost your right to decent treatment and normal expectations.

9 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

I had the pleasure of staying there a few weeks. the only time the cops entered the cells is to supply their ladyboy goons with yaba and collect proceeds from the days sales. there was one occasion when they came in and searched everybody because the ladyboy in charge had lost the proceeds from the days sales. apart from that, everything is done by the ladyboys, including negotiating payments for release.

No ladyboys way back when I was a guest. Then again, yabaa was unknown back then as well (me and my 2 mates had been abused by a couple of liters of Smirnoff). The only time you saw the cops was when someone had fronted up to 'post bond'. Not much of anything progressed to the courts. In fact, back then, I think the nearest one was in Chonburi.

Funny how Thai culture adapts.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Do they exist?

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Sometimes also known as 'Hand in Bog Foundation' !

Are you telling me that the authorities would not pay a qualified Thai plumber for unblocking it ! :hit-the-fan:

Yes that's what he is telling.

Looks like you don't have any experience with Thai government.

Edited by sweatalot

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"Pattaya Soi 9"?

Excuse my ignorance, but do they refer to Pattaya police station or what?

Yes, that's what they mean by "Pattaya Soi 9".

Regarding the charity "Hand to Hand".....a great thing of course, but on the other hand (and that's for any charity organization), officials start to believe that 'charity will take care'. 

3 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Though not a believer, I would be proud to help this group in any way I could. Contact information?  I live here in Jomtien and I often wonder about ways to help the less fortunate, especially those in jails. This is good work that these people do.

Hi Chip Allen you don't have to be Christian to work with us and we would love to introduce you to our work. Please contact me on xxxxxxxx

Edited by KhunBENQ: it violates forum rules to publish phone numbers.

People interested can contact you via personal message in the forum.

Duplicate posts removed.

Good people  like so many organisations in all countries  they work and dont complain   just do it    

was just a thaught all the people with silly remarks about this maybe you should volenteer next time get of yourr so callled  big Backside and  help an organisation 

insted of slagging them off

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Its a Sh$t job and the pays crap but someone has to do it.

Cleaning drainpipes in BKK (the big ones under the sidewalks) is done by prisoners sometimes...They have to go in the pipes and scoop them clean.

Good people  like so many organisations in all countries  they work and dont complain   just do it    
was just a thaught all the people with silly remarks about this maybe you should volenteer next time get of yourr so callled  big Backside and  help an organisation 
insted of slagging them off

I'm struggling to see where anyone has slagged the organisation off. Maybe I am missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Though not a believer, I would be proud to help this group in any way I could. Contact information?  I live here in Jomtien and I often wonder about ways to help the less fortunate, especially those in jails. This is good work that these people do.

Hi my number is<DELETED>. Call me as we could really use some help. Thanks so much!

Edited by Rimmer
The phone number has again been removed, please see the following