Witnesses

mike1983

Hi all, just wondering about the witness situation regarding marrying my thai girlfriend at an amphur, 

I've read that you need two witnesses, is this true and if so we were thinking of having my partners sister-in-law and her friend as witnesses.

Would that be sufficient in being able to get married.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Indeed, from office to office and dependent on how officious the counter staff want to be.  

Don't want to try and find out as much as possible, probably going to go Ban Rak but if hate to get everything sorted in order to marry and then be told we can't because of something like this.

Cheers

Yes each office seems to interpret the rules as they see fit, not just with regard to witnesses.
I got married last year and a number of friends came with us to act as witnesses, Thai and Westerners, even her mother, none were required.
What we did have to do was be interviewed by the head honcho, who didn't speak any English, once she was satisfied that we were a genuine couple the marriage was registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes each office seems to interpret the rules as they see fit, not just with regard to witnesses.
I got married last year and a number of friends came with us to act as witnesses, Thai and Westerners, even her mother, none were required.
What we did have to do was be interviewed by the head honcho, who didn't speak any English, once she was satisfied that we were a genuine couple the marriage was registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Interviewed, that seems a bit bizarre, but thank you for the heads up, that kind of questions did they ask?