Man Working To Get Thai Bride Into Country

george

Alton man working to get Thai bride into country

ALTON -- An Alton man and his wife are taking the concept of long-distance marriage to extremes.

Bob St. Peters, 80, a longtime Alton civic leader, had four children from his 47-year marriage to Helen St. Peters, who died in 1995. When one of his daughters bought him a computer a few years ago, she never dreamed that her father would find himself a new wife -- in Thailand.

From an e-mail relationship, one thing led to another before St. Peters and 33-year-old Jeernan Inon were married Aug. 28, 2001, in Chiang Mai, Thailand. What St. Peters didn’t anticipate was how difficult it would be to get his new bride back to the United States. Almost three years later, he’s still waiting for the immigration papers to go through.

"I’m getting reports periodically from Jerry Costello’s office about the status of our I-130 application (for permanent immigration)," St. Peters said. "It will probably be about another month before we hear anything."

In the latest correspondence from Costello’s office, dated April 20, St. Peters was told that the Nebraska Service Center of the Immigration and Naturalization Service was working on immigration applications with a receipt date on or before Aug. 5, 2002. St. Peters’ application for his wife was received there Sept. 6, 2002.

"I’ve been over in Thailand three times," St. Peters said. "I first met her on the computer in May 2001. Thailand is 95 percent Buddhist, and that’s what Nan’s family is. But I told them it was important for me to get married in the Catholic Church. So her brother was able to find a cathedral in Chiang Mai and arranged for us to be married there."

St. Peters said he made several trips to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok that trip and during two subsequent trips to Thailand.

"What struck me more than anything was how many people were there trying to get over to the United States, but they didn’t have anyone working for them to get it done," he said. "I think we’re getting closer to getting Nan her interview at the embassy."

In the meantime, St. Peters said his wife is living with her sister and the sister’s three teenage daughters.

"The family has always been very nice to me," he said. "The girls like it when I come over there, because they know I’ll take them to the beach.

"We speak pretty often by e-mail and by phone. I have a deal with SBC where we can talk for 24 cents a minute."

--The Telegraph 2004-05-07

Wait ...80...33...? Is it just me or does this smell fishy?  :D

Not at all.

As Tutsi would put it:

I was recently divorced and looking for company and she was looking for a falang husband for the usual economic reasons so, at the time the wind was blowing in the right direction for both of us.

A successful marriage is not defined by the number of years together. We were fat and happy while the money was rolling in. Now I have been unemployed for almost 18 months and times are lean. My wife has seen me with head in hands despairing over our finances and has simply said 'don't wolly darling...things better later'. For me that is the measure of our success. Without money she still respects and admires me.

I guess the difference of age is a bit less but anyway, if both of them found happiness in that deal, who are we to judge? :o

Wait ...80...33...? Is it just me or does this smell fishy?  :D

Not at all.

As Tutsi would put it:

I was recently divorced and looking for company and she was looking for a falang husband for the usual economic reasons so, at the time the wind was blowing in the right direction for both of us.

A successful marriage is not defined by the number of years together. We were fat and happy while the money was rolling in. Now I have been unemployed for almost 18 months and times are lean. My wife has seen me with head in hands despairing over our finances and has simply said 'don't wolly darling...things better later'. For me that is the measure of our success. Without money she still respects and admires me.

I guess the difference of age is a bit less but anyway, if both of them found happiness in that deal, who are we to judge? :o

If his family can cope with it all maybe we should too.

Unless things have changed post-Sep 11th, which they very well might have, it should only have taken this gentlemen 1 year to get his wife to the US. If you marry the woman in her country, then the immigration hassle takes approx. 1 year. If you bring her to the US first and then marry her there, she can be there in about 6 months. That is the road I took with my wife. Like I said, these were the time frames pre-Sep 11th. Now, I guess it could be different but something doesnt sound right to me. It shouldn't take as long as it has for this man. Geez, the man is 80 already! If INS makes him wait any longer there might not be a husband to come to the US for anymore. Dont mean to sound cruel but those heartless buggers at the INS should take this into consideration. Poor guy, only looking for some happiness.

Geez, the man is 80 already! If INS makes him wait any longer there might not be a husband to come to the US for anymore. Dont mean to sound cruel but those heartless buggers at the INS should take this into consideration. Poor guy, only looking for some happiness.

That is probably exactly why they are delaying it. They are waiting for him to die and after that her application can be filed in the big round archive next to the desk.

Another Sap about to be cleaned out

Loser

Not if he's got his legal affairs sorted out - and he has had tie enough for that.

Now let him enjoy his last few years (my mum is 95 and still going strong) in the pleasant company of someone who has shown a degree of interest in him.

The sad losers are those who look on the cynical side of every event, living without hope.

At least this guy is not Living in Pattaya, trawling the Beach road looking for poor Thai girls to exploit.

He will get a companion, she will get some security, nothing wrong in his quest for some hapiness without the exploitation that so many old farts engage in.

I am in a jolly mood today.

Thats wrong, I got married in Thailand and it took my wife 11 months to get

to the U.S. Have been married 2 years. I did get a lawyer... the useless s### !

Not for me to judge on the 80 / 33 year old thing . All I know is , if I was 80

and single 33 sounds good to me