Myanmar men appeal against death sentences over British murders in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

Everyone - including the police and the entire judiciary knows who did it.

Sorry, I don't think they are guilty, but I don't think that the above statement helps in any way. To say that "everyone knows who did it" is misleading and unfortunately, not true.

Just now, sambum said:

Sorry, I don't think they are guilty, but I don't think that the above statement helps in any way. To say that "everyone knows who did it" is misleading and unfortunately, not true.

Everyone knows who did it. The same guy that's gotten away with plenty, and by the looks of it, will get away with plenty more.

I dont see why so many posters should be so sure of their innocence.  The reporting of this incident in the media, and the accuracy of postings on Thai Visa have been so bad that no conclusion can be reached by us as interested spectators.  It is somewhat mortifying to think that people on this board could be championing a pair of rapists and murderers because of their blind prejudice against Thai police. Equally, it is awful to think that 2 innocent men could go their deaths based on dodgy evidence. 

But one can not be blindly sentimental either way.  People should think before posting.

This is the true face of Thai justice that cannot lose face. Even if the true murderers would come forward and say 'we did it', the courts would dismiss them as lunatics and uphold the sentence. Face saving is a concept most Westerners will never understand.  

Meeting example:

If a building is on fire and the Thai CEO is saying it is not, the Thais present in the meeting, knowing the whole place is on fire, will say nothing or even confirm that it is not.  (CEO will lose face and that has to be avoided at all cost).

If a building is on fire and the Thai CEO is saying it is not, the Farangs present in the meeting, knowing the whole place is on fire, will say, are you crazy or what?

There is no change these guys will ever come out. They rather let them burn in hell with the building. 

I don't know about you guys but I am sick to my stomach about this case. I have no evidence and am no legal expert but with so much doubt and so much concern about the validity of the "investigation" I have serious reservations about their "guilt beyond reasonable doubt"

in fact the the only thing I am confident about is that I have consigned any notion of returning to the mire of corruption and greed into my historical list of mistakes I made but am not intending to repeat. 

My my heart goes out to those chaps as it does to the victims and their families. I just hope and pray that in this life, or the next the real perps get what they are due. 

I wish all all those who remain in the cesspit of corruption filth and greed (LoS) a safe life there. 

I only realised how we get get sucked into a bubble of alternative reality whilst residing there,  once I got out. When I got out it was with the intention of sometime returning. Not so now.

It is now almost 3 years since the murders and there has not been one person publicly or anonymously to come forward to say that they saw the would-be perp on the island the night of or days before the murders or that anyone saw anybody harassing the late Ms. Witheridge.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I doubt that even the cops involved and the prosecutors believe for one second that they got the right guys. From the moment the words " A Thai couldn't have done this."were uttered, you just knew a couple of innocents were going to be framed.

I wish them all the best with their appeal.

The British cops who where involved think the same but politics keep them silent

Last chance Thailand to end this travesty of justice and clean up your act if you do not then it will come back to haunt you for sure.

21 minutes ago, sambum said:

the families of both victims have spoken out in defence of the police investigation."

I thought that only one of the families had been satisfied with the "investigation"?

One family for sure has not spoken out in the defence of the local bib that is for sure with even one of the family being threatened by some of the scum involved get your facts right sunshine.

23 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I dont see why so many posters should be so sure of their innocence.  The reporting of this incident in the media, and the accuracy of postings on Thai Visa have been so bad that no conclusion can be reached by us as interested spectators.  It is somewhat mortifying to think that people on this board could be championing a pair of rapists and murderers because of their blind prejudice against Thai police. Equally, it is awful to think that 2 innocent men could go their deaths based on dodgy evidence. 

But one can not be blindly sentimental either way.  People should think before posting.

No DNA match and more circumstantial evidence than you can shake a stick at. It was a stitch-up from start to finish. 

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Welcome to the real Thailand.

We don't want you to know how corrupt and backwards we really are, here, look at this new shopping mall and see all these peasants smiling instead.

The Thai PR campaign is the World's best. I still maintain if people knew the truth about this place and what goes on it would decimate their tourism industry.

Why do you think they are so quick to censor and arrest people for posting stuff they don't like?

They will probably manage to mess the tourism industry on their own in the near future because they are about to enter a period of prolonged civil conflict over who gets to stick their fingers in the cookie jar. 

By then these two young guys will have been long forgotten. 

Maybe there should be a 'reality campaign' that coincides with the PR campaign, perhaps even traveling to the same cities, at the same times....

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence. The post directly preceding yours is a prime example of what you are suggesting, and to blithely spout that "everyone knows who did it" shows a total conviction (no pun intended!) that regardless of any evidence, he/she knows  that the B2 didn't commit the crime, and that he/she and the whole world (Uncle Tom Cobley and all) knows the perpetrator of the crime, all of which is pure nonsense.

There are also those who also spout the guilt of the B2 while totally ignoring any discrepancies in the investigation (one of which apparently enrolled in some Detective School! :cheesy:)  who are also totally blinkered.

Therefore, IMHO I find that it is impossible to reason with, or indeed converse radically with such people, so I put them on my personal "troll" list, and just ignore their ramblings!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

submitted their final appeal on Monday against the death sentence.

man, you talk about backroom pressure, the stuff we never hear about , NO WAY, this regime would allow these two declared innocent; i bet there are threats and money changing hands even now

17 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

One family for sure has not spoken out in the defence of the local bib that is for sure with even one of the family being threatened by some of the scum involved get your facts right sunshine.

"get your facts right sunshine."

Excuse me, but you should address that comment to the writer of the article! :-

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Two men from Myanmar convicted of killing two British backpackers on a Thai holiday island in 2014 submitted their final appeal on Monday against the death sentence.

Some migrant rights groups accused Thai police of bungling the investigation and failing to properly seal off the crime scene. Police have defended the probe and the families of both victims have spoken out in defence of the police investigation.

I was questioning the fact myself that I thought only one victim's family had spoken out in defence of the BIB "investigation" !

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"get your facts right sunshine."

Excuse me, but you should address that comment to the writer of the article - I was questioning the fact myself that I thought only one victim's family had spoken out in defence of the BIB "investigation" 

yes sorry i miss read the last bit keep well

36 minutes ago, Roger Harris said:

A total cover up, Arrest the police for a poor investigation. we all know who done it. again brown paper envelopes

"we all know who done it."

Pointless and untrue comment.

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

You will never, ever convince me that these two midgets killed David and Hanna.  Major cover up of the real guilty parties. 

YUP!!!

and i truly pray for Thailand's karma as a nation if they execute these two innocent men while the REAL perp and his corrupt family still walk free and kill, threaten, and coerce with impugnity...

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

"we all know who done it."

Pointless and untrue comment.

actusally it is COMPLETE truth, EVERYBODY on Koh Tao KNOWS who did it; i have friends on Koh Tao, I KNOW who did it, and i can ASSURE you that these 2 Burmese guys were NOT the perps

I pray for the people -- if they really exist -- who have the goods to free the 2 convicted Burmese but for whatever reason keep silent.

EVERYBODY may know who did it but not one persons who might have the means to free the 2 now convicted will put themselves at risk to help free them if indeed it requires that they put themselves at risk.

25 minutes ago, sambum said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence. The post directly preceding yours is a prime example of what you are suggesting, and to blithely spout that "everyone knows who did it" shows a total conviction (no pun intended!) that regardless of any evidence, he/she knows  that the B2 didn't commit the crime, and that he/she and the whole world (Uncle Tom Cobley and all) knows the perpetrator of the crime, all of which is pure nonsense.

There are also those who also spout the guilt of the B2 while totally ignoring any discrepancies in the investigation (one of which apparently enrolled in some Detective School! :cheesy:)  who are also totally blinkered.

Therefore, IMHO I find that it is impossible to reason with, or indeed converse radically with such people, so I put them on my personal "troll" list, and just ignore their ramblings!

you either live in Koh Tao and have an interest in perpetuating the lie, or you are completely cluless-

with all due respect, which is it?

i can ASSURE YOU that the 2 Burmese did NOT do this, and the REAL killer and his Uncle and father have killed and assaulted and threatened many others, before and since...

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I pray for the people -- if they really exist -- who have the goods to free the 2 convicted Burmese but for whatever reason keep silent.

those who live on Koh Tao are TERRIFIED to speak the truth because of the power of the perp's family;

even i who do NOT live there am terrified to name the guy- i value my life!!!

I see -- so these people who live on Koh Tao who might have the means to free the 2 keep silent because they are afraid for their lives on the island yet they stay on the island. Great. Nice to know such people exist.

Archived