Fastest Retirement Extension Ever at Phuket Immigration

Just back from my annual trek to Phuket immigration for my retirement extension.

Arrived around 10:15 and walked into Room 103. Only one person ahead of me.

Almost immediately I was sitting with the officer.  All my docs were perfect (followed the checklist recently posted).

Had to add my phone number to the TM.7 although it wasn't required on the form.

Handed over my 1,900 B.

Come back tomorrow after 1 PM to pick up my passport.

In and out in 8 minutes.

BTW, also processed my 90 day report at the same time.

7 minutes ago, johna said:

I search for the checklist of documents needed to renew a retirement visa, but can't find it, can you give me a link??

At which office would you be applying for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement?

For Phuket there is a topic on the Phuket forum with a list.

Basic list is a completed TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached. Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp, previous extension stamp (if any) and TM6 departure card.

After that it depends upon what financial proof you are using.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

At which office would you be applying for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement.

Basic list is a completed TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached. Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp, previous extension stamp (if any) and TM6 departure card.

OK thanks, I take a look at the Phuket forum.

Not sure that in and out in 8 minutes is really that good when you consider the additional time that you will spend having to return to the office the following day to collect your passport.  Add to the 8 minutes the time taken to travel to/from the office again plus waiting time to collect your passport, and I suspect that in real time you’ve spent considerably longer getting your extension.

I did my retirement extension a couple of weeks ago and was out of my local office (Nakhon Pathom) in about 15 minutes with passport in my pocket duly stamped with permission to stay for another year.

I think that it’s the ‘luck of the draw’.   Much depends upon the day of the week, or the time of the day that you go.  Not to mention which side of the bed the IO got out of that day :shock1:.

I just wonder if it is normal practice at other offices to have to return to collect your passport when applying for a retirement extension?

1 minute ago, 007 RED said:

Not sure that in and out in 8 minutes is really that good when you consider the additional time that you will spend having to return to the office the following day to collect your passport.  Add to the 8 minutes the time taken to travel to/from the office again plus waiting time to collect your passport, and I suspect that in real time you’ve spent considerably longer getting your extension.

I did my retirement extension a couple of weeks ago and was out of my local office (Nakhon Pathom) in about 15 minutes with passport in my pocket duly stamped with permission to stay for another year.

I think that it’s the ‘luck of the draw’.   Much depends upon the day of the week, or the time of the day that you go.  Not to mention which side of the bed the IO got out of that day :shock1:.

I just wonder if it is normal practice at other offices to have to return to collect your passport when applying for a retirement extension?

Not in Pathum Thani.  

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

At which office would you be applying for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement?

Ubonjoe, do you have the doc requirements checklist for Pattaya assuming the 800 k method...thanks!

25 minutes ago, leddie said:

Ubonjoe, do you have the doc requirements checklist for Pattaya assuming the 800 k method...thanks!

I do not have one for Pattaya. The following for the basic requirements.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a letter from the bank confirming your account and balance. Pattaya will accept a bank letter that is a few days old. Copies of your bank book showing the 800k baht has been the bank for 60 days if it is your first extension or 3 months for the 2nd one onwards.

1 hour ago, johna said:

Not in Pathum Thani.  

No having to return next day in Hua Hin either. Did my extension a couple of weeks back and like 007 Red in Nakhon Pathom it only took about 15 mins from start to finish including waiting for my passport to be returned with the approved extension. 

I have to say that so far in Hua Hin (touch wood) every interaction I've had with Immigration has been quick and efficient with the staff being extremely pleasant and helpful. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

In Phuket the 90-day report is done downstairs in the main office there, get the form and que with the volunteer. My wife picked up the extension next day at 1PM. Don't need a photo for extension because they take your pic on computer at time of application.

To have the one-year extension to Koh Samui tell you to return to pick up the passport after five days, if you say to the official (woman) who come from Koh Tao or Koh Phangan and would like to extend the day they tell you it is not The boss for the extension signature, but if you pay 1,000 or more you will have the passport on the same day ..... oddly the boss comes out ... really strange !!!!
It seems to have changed little or nothing since the official NOK removed him from the visa service

23 hours ago, Headgame said:

In and out in 8 minutes.

Off topic, really, but why is there such enormous inconsistency between Immigration offices in Thailand? I've never managed an extension of stay at Chaengwattana in less than 5 hours (not including the travelling time to/from the ridiculously inconvenient location).

23 hours ago, 007 RED said:

My comment was only based on the procedure at Phuket Immigration. The "return next day" was implemented two years ago. Of course, even better would be to complete the process with one visit.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for Phuket which requires more than Pattaya.

No photo of the house or bank statements are needed. Probably not so many copies of the passport either.

Thanks for the correction.

I did my extension in May at Phuket Immigration. About 10 minutes with the immigration officer and a return trip to pick up my passport the following day. I spent more time going back and forth than with Immigration.

Edited by PhuketRon
misspelling

On 8/22/2017 at 8:56 AM, 007 RED said:

On 8/22/2017 at 9:01 AM, johna said:

Not in Pathum Thani.  

Nor at Rayong either.

Strikes me that, if you were to get stopped by the BIB for an ID check and were unable to produce your passport because it was being held by your local immigration office at the time, you might find yourself in deep doo-dah through no fault of yours!

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

Nor at Rayong either.

Strikes me that, if you were to get stopped by the BIB for an ID check and were unable to produce your passport because it was being held by your local immigration office at the time, you might find yourself in deep doo-dah through no fault of yours!

Just carry a wallet size colour copy of your passport with copy of Visa/Extension on the obverse, laminated.

100 baht at a photo shop.

If a really difficult BIB wants the actual passport - send him to Immi - they're BIB too (never happened to me in 10 years in Phuket).

On 8/22/2017 at 8:56 AM, 007 RED said:

Did my Retirement Extension in Udon Thani a couple of days ago. In and out is about an hour with Passport in hand after having to wait about 20 minutes.  No problems having to get everything stamped and done in an hour. Really nice and friendly people there. 

Had about the same waiting time at the bank in the morning getting a letter from them indicating funds. Would have gone a lot smoother there if it were not for the guy ahead of me asking the bank teller all kinds of questions about getting a Visa. Annoying as it seemed to me he was in the wrong place and asking the wrong person about questions like that.