Best date to request extension of stay?

Hi guys,

I entered Thailand on July 19 on a single-entry Non-Immigrant B visa and got my work permit yesterday (Aug 22) which is valid until July 31, 2018. 

If I go to Chaengwattana for the extension, how long will the extension be granted? Usually it is one year as far as I read. If I go let's say on September 1, will the extension be until September 1, 2018? Or does it collide with my work permit and no matter when I will go, but the extension will always expire on July 31?

Just want to make sure to go around the latest possible date to get the longest timeframe out of my extension.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

The extension will be granted for 1 year from whatever "Admitted Until" date was stamped in your passport on 19th July. You can apply for your extension at Chaengwattana up to 45 days in advance of this "Admitted Until" date, and, provided, of course, that you meet the necessary requirements, you will still be granted an extension of stay from your current "Admitted Until" date regardless. Indeed, it is IMHO better for you do this sooner rather than later, particularly since you are are first-timer, as you are liable to be asked for documents which you may not have on you, thus necessitating a further trip.

Thanks a lot OJAS, admitted until is 16 Oct 2017, that is good news. I'm rather confident it will not be too much trouble for me as I'm a professor at a well-known university. The documents immigration asks for are not many, (only passport, work permit, university letter/contract and TM7 form) compared to somebody working at a business company. But to be on the safe side I will go next week.