Phuket dog shelter budget ‘nowhere near enough’, says Livestock Chief

webfact

Phuket dog shelter budget ‘nowhere near enough’, says Livestock Chief

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1503572921_1-org.jpg

Phuket Livestock Chief Surajit Witchuwan says his budget is nowhere near enough to help solve Phuket’s stray dog problem. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: The B1.3 million budget announced for the Phuket Stray Dog Shelter in Thalang during the “Big Cleaning Day” improvements this past week is “nowhere near enough”, says the Phuket Livestock Chief, who is responsible for the operations and upkeep of the facility.

The shelter is not big enough and the budget is too small to keep the facility up to decent standard, Surajit Witchuwan, Chief of Phuket Livestock, told The Phuket News.

“The dog shelter is not big enough for Phuket, which still has more than 2,000 dogs roaming the streets,” Mr Surajit said.

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-dog-shelter-budget-nowhere-near-enough-says-livestock-chief-63593.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-25

Honestly, I want to help solve the problem of stray street dogs in public areas as much as we can.

Honestly, you are not giving a solution to the problem. You only have a short-term solution for a long-term problem.

The place has already 460 dogs, and you claim there are another 2,000 roaming the streets. So your idea of solving the problem is expanding the facilities so you can have 2,460 dogs there?

Are you insane?

Howcome Thailand has a straw-dog problem, while most developed countries do not?

What did they do what you are not doing?

Pumping more money into a broken ship will not keep it afloat for long.

Think outside the box of measures implemented so far, talk to experts in the field, ask other countries how they solved their problem...

Sigh, why am I telling you how to do your job?

You get paid to come up with this stuff, so stop whining and come up with real solutions.

I my home country, we were faced with the same troubles as this dog shelter. WE did the best thing for man and beast.

Any animals, dogs or cats not claimed within 14 days, were euthanised and sent to the next life. Kept the cost down on feed for the remaining animals, alot were adopted, but it kept people aware that their little doogies and kitties lives were hanging by a shoestring budget.

Thailand get your act together and euthanise these animals, money is tight and it is not going to keep you afloat much longer.

The bleeding hearts and wallets have left the island.

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Honestly, you are not giving a solution to the problem. You only have a short-term solution for a long-term problem.

The place has already 460 dogs, and you claim there are another 2,000 roaming the streets. So your idea of solving the problem is expanding the facilities so you can have 2,460 dogs there?

Are you insane?

Howcome Thailand has a straw-dog problem, while most developed countries do not?

What did they do what you are not doing?

Pumping more money into a broken ship will not keep it afloat for long.

Think outside the box of measures implemented so far, talk to experts in the field, ask other countries how they solved their problem...

Sigh, why am I telling you how to do your job?

You get paid to come up with this stuff, so stop whining and come up with real solutions.

• Put down every dog with any contagious diseases,
  • Put down the older animals,
  • Put down the actual vicious animals,
  • Spay or Neuter the rest, give innoculations and put up for adoption, no adoption after 12 weeks, they meet the same fate as the others.
  • They are looking for solutions, there you have it.  Once the herd is culled, it will be manageable but will take a couple years.
  • How much poop and urine can 2400 dogs produce??  Think how clean the city streets & beaches will be in a few years.
  • Boy, am I gonna get it for this post, but hey, they asked for a solution, a much larger facility  for 2400 dogs is not a solution, it's an imposition on the tax payer, and the problem will still be there.

• Put down every dog with any contagious diseases,
  • Put down the older animals,
  • Put down the actual vicious animals,
  • Spay or Neuter the rest, give innoculations and put up for adoption, no adoption after 12 weeks, they meet the same fate as the others.
  • They are looking for solutions, there you have it.  Once the herd is culled, it will be manageable but will take a couple years.
  • How much poop and urine can 2400 dogs produce??  Think how clean the city streets & beaches will be in a few years.
  • Boy, am I gonna get it for this post, but hey, they asked for a solution, a much larger facility  for 2400 dogs is not a solution, it's an imposition on the tax payer, and the problem will still be there.
The current guy can be fired and you can start Monday taking his place. 

All we need is a copy of your Thai passport (as no foreigner should ever be in a decision making position here), a list of who you are connected to (as plebs are not allowed in important positions) and an envelope containing a "gift" (skills, ideas, etc are not important, you need to grease the wheels, thats what counts).

There are times when I seriously hope there is a heaven/hell!

Better still, karma that pays back those with so little empathy.

Back on topic - give the money to Soi Dogs, who will provide far better 'value for money' in neutering dogs and caring for those unfortunate enough to have to remain within the kennels after neutering.

And before anyone asks - no, I'm not connected to Soi Dogs, but used to help out a little.

24 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Wanting to put 2,460 dogs in cages for up to 12 years till they die of natural causes and while feeding them rice every day sounds like a empathic plan, right?

"give the money to Soi Dogs, who will provide far better 'value for money' in neutering dogs and caring for those unfortunate enough to have to remain within the kennels after neutering."

I thought I'd answered that with the above post?

Edit - odd that you decided to cut out the above section of my post :saai:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

"give the money to Soi Dogs, who will provide far better 'value for money' in neutering dogs and caring for those unfortunate enough to have to remain within the kennels after neutering."

I thought I'd answered that with the above post?

It was a rhetorical question to indicate that caging an animal for possibly a decade does not constitute emphatie more than a clean and quick euthanasia in my book.