Could Hua Hin trump Pattaya for tourism in the future?

Inspire

Could Hua Hin trump Pattaya for tourism in the future?

14.-Hua-Hin-Railway-Station-by-signalfire.jpg

Much has been written over the years about the plight of Pattaya and how it has been reinventing itself and how its  future looks rosy, by contrast Hua Hin goes a little under the radar – but could this town, in time, be a bigger tourist location than Pattaya?

This weeks blog is brought to you by Alan Bolton Property Consultants, servicing Pattaya since 1987.

So off the blocks this is where they stand based on 2016 stats. Hua Hin attracts 5million visitors a year, whilst Pattaya has surged from 7 million in 2014 to 13 million in 2016.  Thailand attracted 33 million international tourists in 2016 up 9% on year previous, and if the analysts have got it right, this figure will increase to 50 million by 2030..Fact is there are not enough hotels to cater for this.

Here is where it all gets interesting in the hypothesis that Hua Hin could surpass Pattaya for tourism numbers, however playful the assertion.  A third of all visitors coming to Thailand are now Chinese, they single handily grew Pattaya from its 2014 lull of 7 million to almost doubling the figures in 3 years. What’s not to say that cannot happen in Hua Hin?

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/hua-hin-trump-pattaya-tourism-future/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-08-26

There are some direct flights into Pattaya from China and as the airport expands there will be more. Also, good links to other tourist hotspots in Thailand by air from Pattaya. Does Hua Hin have its own international airport?

I think both can prosper, but Pattaya has more than a head start, so Hua Hin will have to play 2nd fiddle to Pattaya.

11 hours ago, champers said:

There are some direct flights into Pattaya from China and as the airport expands there will be more. Also, good links to other tourist hotspots in Thailand by air from Pattaya. Does Hua Hin have its own international airport?

I think both can prosper, but Pattaya has more than a head start, so Hua Hin will have to play 2nd fiddle to Pattaya.

Redirect all the planes with quality tourists from China, India ... there, and voila!

23 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's not a difficult choice: married, in a relationship, kids - Hua Hin, solo - Pattaya. 

You´ve solved the problem!

Reference paragraph for a good life in Thailand: 
Travel to Pattaya. Get married! Find yourself in a relationship with kids. Move to Hua Hin and live happily ever after.

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's not a difficult choice: married, in a relationship, kids - Hua Hin, solo - Pattaya. 

"It's not a difficult choice ..."

Especially if you think Pattaya is just Beach Rd and Walking Street up to 2nd Rd ...an area of which most critics of Pattaya seem to be surprisingly familiar ...

22 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

"It's not a difficult choice ..."

Especially if you think Pattaya is just Beach Rd and Walking Street up to 2nd Rd ...an area of which most critics of Pattaya seem to be surprisingly familiar ...

No Pattaya is much more, off course!

You have Nua, klang, Tai och Jomtien. I have actually lived in this city for a time of 1,5 years.

That was a long time ago, though, and it was a little bit better then.

Nowadays there is only negative news from Pattaya, I do not feel happy visiting anymore in any of those places. It has just turned out to be a disaster zone that creates a very bad image for the rest of the country. It also seems to work as a magnet for all the criminals that wants to do their business or just hide out for a while.

Just come back from a week in Hua Hin, a place we regularly visit for a few days. Couldn' t wait to get out of it this time. Don' t really know why. The beach was deserted, not many tourists there, no holiday feeling about the place, 50 Bt. for an iced coffee from some sidewalk cars, more expensive all round than Pattaya.

I was getting browned off with Pattaya that's why went for the break but after this trip we both (she who must be obeyed) couldn't wait to get back to it.

I can't see myself complaining about Pattaya again for a while.

16 hours ago, champers said:

Hua Hin has an airport,but, like most things to do with Hua Hin it has been kept low key because it was the late Kings holiday spot, I would think it will now see an increase in activity to attract more tourism,already have golf courses,it would not take much(loads of cash though) to extend and upgrade the airport, the space is there and in the right spot,just as you enter H/H, unless they decided to make a new one outside,much would need to be done, the beaches in the area are fantastic, especially if you put them alongside Pattaya's 'Grey' beaches.

5 hours ago, YaiJung said:

Let's hope it never happens.  The last thing hua hin needs is all those chinese clogging and polluting the place up with their tour buses.  What a nightmare!

I hope it does. Pattaya expats don't want them either.

I doubt it will happen unless they get an international airport, and Hua Hin doesn't have a Koh Larn. Main problem is the beach is rubbish compared to Pattaya/ Jomptien.

The OP is a joke. Pattaya authorities might be TRYING to change the image, but failing 100% with stupid infrastructure projects that have all failed- marina, car park, big buildings in the wrong place, appalling traffic, sewage, crime. The only reason they look OK is that the Chinese probably don't know any better.

there is nowhere in hua hin where you can walk along the sea front, and still be within the city, like you can on beach road in pattaya.  this makes pattaya a much more attractive city.

the town planning has let itself down in hua hin.  being a city on the sea, but rarely being able to see the sea, will always make pattaya more attractive to many

Sorry to butt in again here, but I wanted to share some points would make it rather difficult to change the current climate of Hua Hin.

1) it is the summer retreat of the respected Hon. Royal Family of Thailand

2) it is also the favorite town of weekend getaways, for many of the influental hiSo families in BKK

3) the cost of living is one of the highest in the kingdom

Consequently, one could seriously doubt that the authorities would allow HH to become the new naughty playground of the country. Assuming it does happen, the high prices in HH would dissuade many a "quality tourist!!"

Edited by observer90210

Before Hua Hin can take on Pattaya in popularity something needs to be done about traffic.  Imagine all the traffic on Pattaya's Beach Road, Second Road, Third Road *and* Sukhumvit all on one narrow thoroughfare through town.  Hua Hin is already at near paralysis on weekends during High Season.

The solution I can see is to really (over-)develop west of the railroad.

6 hours ago, YaiJung said:

Let's hope it never happens.  The last thing hua hin needs is all those chinese clogging and polluting the place up with their tour buses.  What a nightmare!

Yeah, 'cause Pattaya was a pristine beach resort when it was just Russkies and escapees from current and former commonwealth countries.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt it will happen unless they get an international airport,

Hua Hin already has an international airport and has had for many years.  Several airlines have tried making a go of it but lack of traffic has always caused it to fail.  Air Asia now have big plans.

Hua Hin may soon get a long-awaited steady international air link for the first time in years with the arrival of AirAsia from Malaysia.

Initially between Hua Hin and Kuala Lumpur (starting in November) with future plans further afield.

At the risk of being flamed mercilessly, I'd like to see a Thai beach town surpass Pattaya on tourist revenue while keeping the numbers down to maintain a quality experience and let the locals enjoy their beach.

Of course, that means higher prices, rolling a lot of it back to maintain the infrastructure, and keeping out the riff-raff that preys on tourists.

As far as Hua Hin goes, I hope they resist the temptation to grow like a weed until an eco-tourism  pilot project in another Thai beach town paves the way and takes the learning lumps.  It would be nice to keep one beach within a weekend drive of BKK that hasn't been thrashed.

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Sorry to butt in again here, but I wanted to share some points would make it rather difficult to change the current climate of Hua Hin.

1) it is the summer retreat of the respected Hon. Royal Family of Thailand

2) it is also the favorite town of weekend getaways, for many of the influental hiSo families in BKK

3) the cost of living is one of the highest in the kingdom

Consequently, one could seriously doubt that the authorities would allow HH to become the new naughty playground of the country. Assuming it does happen, the high prices in HH would dissuade many a "quality tourist!!"

So, to be popular and attractive it just must be like Pattaya??? Oh dear, Oh dear! What deep pit did I fall into. It seems like it´s endless madness down here.