Xaos

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, phycokiller said:

Im in Phnom Penh and its dead too. I think this is just the peak of the low season in general, especially Europeans have headed home.

I was just in Saigon for a week or so, place is jumping with tourists in Pham Ngu Lao and Bui Vein, hundreds packed in that small area.

13 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Lets have a competition ,to find out where you met them and where your looking for no 3:smile:

Soi  Issan . 

I may take up trip up  too Issan  , and pick em , fresh from the Jungle. 555

19 hours ago, Wan123 said:

Unfortunately, Pattaya is a victim of it's own success. While that seems contradictory, there are contradictory social forces in this world, and one of them is bad international press. It is success that creates resentments and vulnerability. Writers and newscasters don't particularly care about Thailand, they care about selling newspapers. It was said that the famous newspaper mogul, Hearst, started the Spanish American War, simply by writing articles. It was also shoddy reporting that created public outcry that broke up Standard Oil. Thailand has done a poor job in public relations for Pattaya, and while it's long range vision as a family resort seems reasonable, the impact of a sudden change of policy has created a void in business efforts; as a result, other areas are relatively stronger. Yet the strengths of Pattaya remain intact. The government finds it necessary to document visitors to an extreme extent, monitor alcohol consumption in the public areas and in fact, is making the business environment very difficult. One thing they could do which would help the general economy is to limit building until the real estate market regains it's footing. Secondly, they could lighten up on alcohol issues to the extent that, if a person is not displaying signs of irresponsibility on the road, they are allowed to go their own way. This is what other countries do. I know Thailand has a terrible record for safety on the road, but this is basically a problem of it's own citizens, not visitors. Russians are a different matter, but the West has drunk driving laws as well, yet they do not pull everyone over for DD tests. 

Sounds like you're chanelling Yogi Berra who once said, "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded. "

15 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I was just in Saigon for a week or so, place is jumping with tourists in Pham Ngu Lao and Bui Vein, hundreds packed in that small area.

I was just there in late July. Either side of Nguyen Hue pedestrian mall in D1, all the streets with restaurants and coffee shops  were jammed with tourists, walking in 3s, 4s and bigger groups. At night, I've never seen it so crowded, and I've been to SGN probably 15 times over the last 8 years.

I really don't think Pattaya's as busy as it used to be, high or low season. A long-time visitor from my country and I met on 2nd Road one day last January. The place is dead, he immediately declared, after several days of visiting. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, Wan123 said:

. Writers and newscasters don't particularly care about Thailand, they care about selling newspapers.

Thailand has done a poor job in public relations for Pattaya, and while it's long range vision as a family resort seems reasonable, the impact of a sudden change of policy has created a void in business efforts; as a result, other areas are relatively stronger. Yet the strengths of Pattaya remain intact. 

One thing they could do which would help the general economy is to limit building until the real estate market regains it's footing. Secondly, they could lighten up on alcohol issues to the extent that, if a person is not displaying signs of irresponsibility on the road, they are allowed to go their own way.

the West has drunk driving laws as well, yet they do not pull everyone over for DD tests. 

Newspapers play to their paying customers and in the west they have an audience that loves to read trash about Thailand, and in particular the sex industry. I frequently read about Pattaya but almost never about anything positive about wider Thailand.

I'm surprised that you think Thailand actually "does" anything in public relations. In 10 years living in the UK I never saw any publicity for Thailand. Even the location of the TAT in London seemed to be a secret, though I eventually found it.

long range vision as a family resort seems reasonable

Surely thou jest!

Pattaya does nothing that comes within the purview of "planning". They spend a lot of money on projects for the usual reasons, but none of them are designed to create a "family" resort city. If any family friendly activities are built it is always private enterprise that does so. Meanwhile, the infrastructure continues to deteriorate around the mega projects, and zero is done to address crime and traffic.

Strengths of Pattaya? Which would be? Traffic jams, decrepitude, crime, stench, filth perhaps?

Limit building. 5555555555555555555

They will build till it is impossible to move in Pattaya and there is no tap water for 12 hours a day. However, public friendly infrastructure like cycle paths, controlled pedestrian crossings and parks will not feature.

Like anywhere, alcohol causes problems and death- why lighten up on it? Not that it's very inhibited in LOS as the road toll attests.

the West has drunk driving laws as well, yet they do not pull everyone over for DD tests. 

I think you are wrong. Road block breath testing does happen in western countries.

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I was just there in late July. Either side of Nguyen Hue pedestrian mall in D1, all the streets with restaurants and coffee shops  were jammed with tourists, walking in 3s, 4s and bigger groups. At night, I've never seen it so crowded, and I've been to SGN probably 15 times over the last 8 years.

I really don't think Pattaya's as busy as it used to be, high or low season. A long-time visitor from my country and I met on 2nd Road one day last January. The place is dead, he immediately declared, after several days of visiting. 

IMO Pattaya has changed from a tourist town to a residential city. The numbers of tourists in Beach Rd barbeers has been irrelevant for many years now as to the life or death of Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Any theories as to why it's packed?

Khao San Rd was always packed when I went there, but I only went there to remind myself why I did want to go there. If Saigon is full of bagpackers I wouldn't want to go there either, same as I wouldn't want to go to any crowded Spanish beach. I've always preferred uncrowded places, but where there is a decent nightlife, like Pattaya.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Any theories as to why it's packed?

Khao San Rd was always packed when I went there, but I only went there to remind myself why I did want to go there. If Saigon is full of bagpackers I wouldn't want to go there either, same as I wouldn't want to go to any crowded Spanish beach. I've always preferred uncrowded places, but where there is a decent nightlife, like Pattaya.

First, at least five Euro nationalities have been granted visa waivers for 2 years now, on top of the Nordic folks retaining their visa waivers. On the streets, I saw well dressed western and northern Europeans, with kids in tow.  There were also well dressed Japanese, plus others from likely Singapore, Taiwan and HKG, I'm guessing. There are already many Americans visiting because of a very generous and recent visa deal. 

The begpackers now have a newly developed playground on weekends. SGN City has declared Bui Vien a pedestrian only mall on weekends, spending tens of millions of dong to make it appealing. Photos show it to be packed. So, I am definitely staying away from there. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Strengths of Pattaya? Which would be? Traffic jams, decrepitude, crime, stench, filth perhaps?

Pattaya has many strengths, but you listed the negatives, to make it seem that's all there is, anyone who hasn't been to Pattaya, and drawing conclusions from your description would be very much mislead.

For a single person,   after Bangkok, Pattaya is probably the place to stay long term in South East Asia. For a family may be not,  large beach resort towns often are not. Pattaya has  fantastic, possibly best nightlife on Earth, so not ideal spot for a family vacation. 

Don't agree? Maybe name comparable, or better  places in SE Asia.

Pattaya may be quiet, it's August. 

Edited by whitemouse

Yeah it is slow in CM as well end of the summer high season as all of the western folks back to school or work. Where my wife works the hotel has 102 rooms only 12 filled at present. The owner said go on holiday.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:40 PM, LennyW said:

Wow, is it time for another "Pattaya is dead" thread already!!

Perhaps the whoremongering side of business is dead, but I've been to Tops at Central a couple of times this week and it's packed with people. I've hardly ever seen it this busy and this is after 8 pm at night!!! A large number of people were Chinese - but the people who observe Pattaya as dead don't count them.

Also, the back streets, behind Tukcom, in that area sandwiched between Walking Street and 3rd Road, where all the Indians and Middle Eastern crowd hang out is packed, and also not counted among the whoremongering crowd.

7 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Pattaya has many strengths, but you listed the negatives, to make it seem that's all there is, anyone who hasn't been to Pattaya, and drawing conclusions from your description would be very much mislead.

For a single person,   after Bangkok, Pattaya is probably the place to stay long term in South East Asia. For a family may be not,  large beach resort towns often are not. Pattaya has  fantastic, possibly best nightlife on Earth, so not ideal spot for a family vacation. 

Seriously? You think Bangkok is a better place to stay than Pattaya?

5 hours ago, tropo said:

You think Bangkok is a better place to stay than Pattaya?

If one leaves aside the obvious disadvantages of heavy traffic, flooding, very high density building and no sea views, Bangkok does indeed have some advantages.

People there are much nicer and seem less hell-bent on stealing from you.

It is less humid than here.

Public transport is good, if you avoid the rush hour and happen to want to go to places that are on the BTS/MRT/river.

Restaurant choices are much better than here, and prices are often lower at least at the medium-high end.

Shopping options are much better than here.

It isnt full of Cheap Charlie tourists, be they from the West or from China or India.

I think that someone who can find and afford a good condo with a good view and good common areas/facilities, and who doesnt want/need to go out a lot, might find Bangkok quite nice to live in.

Edited by KittenKong

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If one leaves aside the obvious disadvantages of heavy traffic, flooding, very high density building and no sea views, Bangkok does indeed have some advantages.

People there are much nicer and seem less hell-bent on stealing from you.

It is less humid than here.

Public transport is good, if you avoid the rush hour and happen to want to go to places that are on the BTS/MRT/river.

Restaurant choices are much better than here, and prices are often lower at least at the medium-high end.

Shopping options are much better than here.

It isnt full of Cheap Charlie tourists, be they from the West or from China or India.

I think that someone who can find and afford a good condo with a good view and good common areas/facilities, and who doesnt want/need to go out a lot, might find Bangkok quite nice to live in.

The humidity is very close to the humidity in Pattaya, but that would depend on where you live in both locations. It's mostly hotter in BKK due to more concrete structures and no sea breeze. You don't live in a condo on the sea for nothing. That would be a lot cooler than a condo in the middle of BKK.

More shopping - obvious but not enough to get me (or you) to consider moving. BKK is great for shopping trips.

Public transport is better, no argument, but for convenience, I can't beat zipping around Pattaya on my motorcycle. If you don't use a motorcycle, it wins hands down for sure.

Of course, there are more restaurants, but there are already too many good choices in Pattaya. I've never felt I needed more. JT hasn't moved yet, and he lives in restaurants.

There are for sure as many and more "Cheap Charlie" tourists in Bangkok, but it's bigger, so they're more diluted. I don't know why this would concern anyone though. How much other people are spending has never concerned me. I would actually prefer the company of "Cheap Charlies" than snobs.

Even if you can find a pleasant place to live, that doesn't make BKK better. I'm pretty sure you are staying here too.:smile:

46 minutes ago, tropo said:

The humidity is very close to the humidity in Pattaya, but that would depend on where you live in both locations. It's mostly hotter in BKK due to more concrete structures and no sea breeze. You don't live in a condo on the sea for nothing. That would be a lot cooler than a condo in the middle of BKK.

Actually I dont agree with this. Near to the sea (and that obviously includes my condo and all of the tourist areas in Pattaya), I find the humidity to be quite a lot higher than it is in Bangkok. I can walk a lot further in Bangkok without sweating than I can here. I notice the difference in humidity just going a bit inland from here also. But I lived for many years in a hot but dry part of Europe so perhaps I'm just very sensitive to it.

49 minutes ago, tropo said:

Of course, there are more restaurants, but there are already too many good choices in Pattaya. I've never felt I needed more. JT hasn't moved yet, and he lives in restaurants.

I'm not saying that it isnt OK here, but I find that there are many places in Bangkok that have no real equivalent here at a similar price level. Admittedly, Bangkok is a big place so everywhere may not be as conveniently situated as it is here, where basically I know that I can drive my car to anywhere I want to go to in less than 30 minutes max.

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

Even if you can find a pleasant place to live, that doesn't make BKK better. I'm pretty sure you are staying here too.

For me the main advantage here over Bangkok (apart from the relative lack of traffic) is my view. I know it would cost me probably three to five times as much to have something as nice to look at in Bangkok, so for that reason alone I will surely not be doing it. If I did happen to come across such a place at about the same price as my condo (very unlikely indeed) then I would think seriously about spending a few months there to see if I liked it long-term.

The term “ghost town” doesn’t disturb me. I don’t visit go-go bars, beer bars and the like so I am unmoved by lack of such services if demand were not there. I just seek easy access to good food ingredients and prepared foods, the tools to make food and some clothing shopping.

I've lived in Bangkok four times -- from five months to 12 months at a time. Just finished a 1-year stay at the end of June. Won't be doing that again, for all the reasons KK listed above (intensity of everything). My transport costs jumped to 4,000 baht a month (BTS and taxis) from 550 (moto gas and insurance) in Pattaya, just to give an example. 

I've lived in the Pattaya area for a total of four-plus years. And will be moving back very soon but to the Beach side this time as I don't like the high exposure to accidents crossing over Suk from the Dark side, even with the so-called "improvements" at the Klang junction. 

After living in Bangkok, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap (short time), Saigon (short time), and Vung Tau, VN (currently), Pattaya's small physical footprint with the big expat-oriented retail footprint can't be beat. Prices and rents are certainly more affordable, too. I do hope that continues. 

20 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Negatives, yes indeed. I loved Pattaya for a very long time, but the authorities are doing their best to ruin it, and succeeding.

For the longest time it was possible to love Pattaya despite the negatives, but now all that are left ARE the negatives.

Takes more than big malls and a Hilton hotel to make somewhere worthwhile staying at.

Final straw, more or less, for me, is that Pattaya is now more expensive than Chiang Mai. If I have to live in a fun devoid city, I'll do it where it costs me less.

If Pattaya ever sorts itself out, I'll be back in a flash.

fantastic, possibly best nightlife on Earth,

10 years ago I'd have agreed, but those days are long gone, along with, apparently, most of the mongers.

Been there twice in the past year and been disappointed both times.

I've never been to Angeles, so I can't say if that's better, but IMO the wowsers are winning and destroying fun wherever it may be found. They are certainly trying to do so in Pattaya to make it an ideal spot for a family vacation. 

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Negatives, yes indeed. I loved Pattaya for a very long time, but the authorities are doing their best to ruin it, and succeeding.

For the longest time it was possible to love Pattaya despite the negatives, but now all that are left ARE the negatives.

Takes more than big malls and a Hilton hotel to make somewhere worthwhile staying at.

Final straw, more or less, for me, is that Pattaya is now more expensive than Chiang Mai. If I have to live in a fun devoid city, I'll do it where it costs me less.

If Pattaya ever sorts itself out, I'll be back in a flash.

fantastic, possibly best nightlife on Earth,

10 years ago I'd have agreed, but those days are long gone, along with, apparently, most of the mongers.

Been there twice in the past year and been disappointed both times.

I've never been to Angeles, so I can't say if that's better, but IMO the wowsers are winning and destroying fun wherever it may be found. They are certainly trying to do so in Pattaya to make it an ideal spot for a family vacation. 

It depends on how you like to spend your time and what is important. From my own personal angle, Pattaya is better now than it was 12 years ago when I first arrived. That's mainly due to better shopping options and it will get even better after T21 opens. If you're into beach, that's improving now too.

Traffic has always been heavy, and as I get around on 2 wheels, it's no more difficult getting around now that it was 10 years ago. It's actually easier as I have learned all the shortcuts.

Regarding costs, rent has gone down substantially as landlords struggle to get long term tenants. For example, the place I first rented back in 2006 was 25k per month. A few years later it had dropped to 21k. Now the owner rents it out for 15k per month. The place I rent now for 30k would have cost at least 45k 10 years ago.

Being married, the less of a whoremongering town it becomes, the happier my wife becomes.:smile: ... so to hear the bars are struggling is music to our ears LOL.

The only negative is our treatment by Immigration these days, but that's Thailand wide and Pattaya still has one of the most Farang-friendly offices. From what I hear, Chiang Mai Immigration is not very friendly.

Cost of living increases (other than rent in Pattaya due to oversupply) is inevitable all over the world and not specific to Pattaya. I don't know what is cheaper in Chiang Mai - perhaps you could enlighten us? If you're talking about "girls", then I'm not surprised. That aspect of Pattaya has definitely skyrocketed in price.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I get that you don't like Pattaya, and not here to change your mind. The reason I sometime reply to your Pattaya bashing posts is simple - people who haven't been to Pattaya may stumble across your posts, and walk away with distorted, inaccurate view of Pattaya.

People often do basic research before traveling, ThaiVisa is No1 in Google results on many key words about Thailand, and Pattaya. People looking for info may see your posts about Pattaya, take them seriously, and this may affect their travel plans, or even life choices of people who think about retiring here. Your posts describing Pattaya are not just slightly inaccurate, you describe Pattaya as some dystopian waste land,

What were your last words? "Strengths of Pattaya? Which would be? Traffic jams, decrepitude, crime, stench, filth perhaps?" 

OP, Pattaya is quiet because it is August.

Its not a ghost town only because of the hundreds of thousands of All categories of Chinese who are flooding Beach rd on way to  Ko Larn and all the others in the Central Festival Mall and 3 star hotels. If these people did any good online research they would be going to Vietnam instead !  But its pretty obvious that most of them are oblivious. For now. What thaibeachlovers is referring to is the mess the govt. has made of the environment and counting. For example : Take a look at the mess at the North end of beach. And for comparison position yourself about 50 m North of the construction trailer trash at South end of beach walk. Then walk to Walking st. by the junkyard environment.  In the photos below (2004) which are all of the South end of the beach walk note the girl with the balloons  in the nice surroundings. That is now the mess you just passed through. And this is just the physical surroundings. Not even commenting on the locals.

CCF3117_00000.jpg  

Edited by morrobay

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

There is a point where people really would like to go swim in the ocean.  Pattaya is a no no.  Jomtien used to be OK.  Phuket has a few iffy areas but in general the open ocean is much cleaner.

Pattaya is really not considered to be a beach resort. It's a resort with a beach and with the added bonus of a small beach island just off the coast (Ko Larn). It doesn't pretend to have amazing beaches. Most people know this going in. If they are after beaches they go to Phuket and other islands.

Having said that, there is great potential in the beaches we have here and the council is starting to clean them up. Cleaning up the beach chairs was a very good start.

Phuket

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, tropo said:

That's mainly due to better shopping options and it will get even better after T21 opens. If you're into beach, that's improving now too.

Now the owner rents it out for 15k per month. The place I rent now for 30k would have cost at least 45k 10 years ago.

Being married, the less of a whoremongering town it becomes, the happier my wife becomes.:smile: ... so to hear the bars are struggling is music to our ears LOL.

Cost of living increases (other than rent in Pattaya due to oversupply) is inevitable all over the world and not specific to Pattaya. I don't know what is cheaper in Chiang Mai - perhaps you could enlighten us? If you're talking about "girls", then I'm not surprised. That aspect of Pattaya has definitely skyrocketed in price.

Just how many malls does one need when they all sell the same stuff at the same prices?

Girls cheaper in C M :cheesy:. Hardly.

No, I've given up on the girl scene as it is no longer what it was in Pattaya, and living up north it's not even worth my time going to the pathetic version of barbeers that purports to be a night scene.

As with everything in life, all I write about is in my own experience, and life in C M is cheaper for me than it was 3 months ago in Pattaya.

However, I'm sure I could find some hovel in Pattaya that is cheaper than where I am living at the present time. The equivalent where I was staying in Pattaya was some 250 baht a day more expensive.

The worst thing about C M is the transport. Pattaya is far better with the fixed routes at 10 baht. However, I rarely have to use a songtheaw now, while in Pattaya I had to use them a lot.

While I do not know your situation, it seems strange to me that so many farangs choose to live in a town that was whoremongering before they first set foot in Thailand, and then wish it wasn't.

There are so many places in Thailand that are NOT in any way whoremongering to choose from, so why stay if one doesn't like it. C M would probably suit your wife, as it's a nightlife desert.

If you're into beach, that's improving now too.

LOL. I never went to Pattaya for the beach. For that I went to the Gulf islands.

Edited by thaibeachlovers