Thai daughter with British Passport. Can visit UK on one way ticket?

Morning chaps,

I have a 10 year old daughter who lives with me. Her mother and I broke up 4 years ago and we never married. 

My daughter has a Thai and British Passport and I'd like to know, can I take her to the UK on a one way ticket with the intention of bringing her back after Christmas.

Will an airline refuse boarding if she doesn't have a return ticket but is a holder of a UK passport?

It's just like me going back to the UK on a one way ticket isn't it, now she's got her British passport she's free to stay as long as she wants within reason right?

I know she has to stamp out on her Thai passport and back in again when we return but I just want to check all is okay before I buy the tickets.  

I can get a letter from her mother giving me permission to take her if that helps. 

The simple reason for one way tickets, funds are tight right now and I plan to buy our return tickets in the UK before we come back.

I should mention - This is not a kidnapping plot, I have a wife, a son and a baby on the way here in Thailand so I'm defo coming back. :wai:

Thank you! 

Of course she can travel to the UK with a one way ticket since she is a citizen of the UK. She could stay there for the rest of her life if she wanted to.

You will likely be asked for proof here mother has given her consent to leave the country.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Of course she can travel to the UK with a one way ticket since she is a citizen of the UK. She could stay there for the rest of her life if she wanted to.

You will likely be asked for proof here mother has given her consent to leave the country.

Thanks UbonJoe, 

I thought the same but had to ask to be on the safe side, ya just never know these days lol.

Will get that letter of consent sorted before we go, cheers mate!

No proof was requested when I travelled with my 3 year old Son recently. However, permission was requested of a friend traveling alone with his daughter last year - he had no such documentation but a phone call to his Wife sufficed. 

It would avoid any potential hassles to have a 'Parental Consent Document', in Thai signed by your ex Wife and yourself notarized by your local Amphur Office - This is the single solution to avoid any hassles with certainty. 

-----------

Not specifically in response to the Op who has indicated he will return as he has a new Wife and Child on the way... this discussion may be useful for others reading.

As your daughter at 10 years old is still a dependent if you showed intention to remain in the UK any future custody case (if custody is not already awarded) could be impacted. It would be good to read up on the Hague Convention and Parental Kidnapping. 

I may be mistaken here, but as I understand it: While Thailand is a signatory of the Hague Convention it does not recognize Parental Kidnapping, however, your reputation would be damaged in the eyes of a court in the event of a custody battle. 

Edited by richard_smith237

When you arrive in the UK, and you march through the UK Passport counter, I'm not even sure if they swipe your passport ... they certainly don't stamp it ... they wouldn't know or care whether you have a return ticket or not ... I do go along with the Permit letter from the wife ... I hope that goes as smooth as you think it will ... welcome to Britain little one, with a British Passport you can travel the world !

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I did the same with my son. No proof of consent required. Good luck.

27 minutes ago, selavy59 said:

I did the same with my son. No proof of consent required. Good luck.

Do not give the Op incorrect information. 

A minor traveling with one parent is supposed to have notarized permission of the other parent.

It is not uncommon for the Immigration Officers to request such documentation although there are many examples otherwise. If you do not have this documentation you are simply 'taking a chance'.

When I travelled alone with my Son - I had a Parental Consent document signed by my Wife and a signed copy of her passport with a comment from her permitting travel, I also asked her to wait at the airport until we were through immigration just incase we faced any difficulty as I did not have time to have the Parental consent document notarized by the local Amphur. We passed immigration without any questions, nevertheless I was prepared as best as possible for the eventuality of immigration questioning me as a single parent traveling with a child. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

3 hours ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

Thanks UbonJoe, 

I thought the same but had to ask to be on the safe side, ya just never know these days lol.

Will get that letter of consent sorted before we go, cheers mate!

I did the Thailand to UK run with an 8 year old daughter a couple of years ago - It is not well known that there is a formal system in place to prevent misunderstandings at the airport on departing Thailand and on arriving in the UK.

Thailand end - the mothers permission to travel letter has to be prepared and approved at the local ampheur office then all of you (father, mother, child) travel to the foreign ministry in Bangkok where the mothers formal permission to travel letter is officiated and entered onto the immigration computer - this is valid for the next 30 days, and means no requirement to telephone the mother at the airport or any other extraneous administration requests.

The permission to travel letter should also be officially translated to English and notarised at the British Embassy.

At the airport on your day of departure at BKK SVM, you and the child will be taken to one side, where the Thai permission to travel letter will be checked against the Thai immigration department computer entry. If all is OK, then off you both go.

UK End.  I initially assumed that since both my daughter and myself were British Passport holders, then we should both be allowed back into the UK whatsoever. Wrong. 

At passport control, we were both taken to one side and questioned at length as to where was the mother and why I hadn't brought her with us to the UK. All explanations as to the difficulties of obtaining visas, costs of the air ticket, etc were met with derision, exclamations of "Rubbish it's easy to bring your wife to the UK" etc, etc. Things were not looking good...

It was at this time that I reached for the British Embassy letter 'official translation of the mothers permission to travel letter' - then suddenly, all was fine. "Why didn't you just show us this permission letter earlier" was the new shouted reply, "it would have saved us a lot of time"

So there you have it.

From the many replies here, it's plain that many folks just walk through immigration both ends with their kids no problems. 

In the end, it's up to you if you go through the proper procedures or not - having the propper paperwork was certainly the silver bullet that stopped any problems during my journey to the UK. 

I guess I just have that kind of face that immigration officers consider suspicious... :jap:

darth maul.png

Edited by SteveB2
Grammar & clarification
  • Like 2

I took my 14 and 9 yr old daughters to the UK, they have Thai and Brit nationality, it was never an issue, and I was never asked to produce a parental consent form. I am now back in Thailand after nine years in the UK, they are both still at university in the UK, I was never asked to prove anything about air tickets etc etc.... As long as you don't look like an escaped criminal when travelling with your child, you should be fine. I never thought about air tix or parental consent during the whole time I was in the UK with them, though getting the parental consent sounds like a reasonable precaution if its not going to stir up a hornet's nest with the ex or current Mrs.

There seems to be a remarkable difference in experiences to this question. I have a 10 year old Thai daughter who has recently joined me to attend school in England. She also has 2 passports. We use the 2 passport checking through system to avoid visas and have never encountered any problems. As a precaution both my ex and myself have authorising letters from each other, however we have not had to use them yet. Don't forget to book your outward flight for your daughter using the passport details of the arrival country for your daughter. Also prepare for sudden changes....LOL....it was my daughter who decided that she suddenly wanted to go to school in England and terminate her education in Thailand (a sigh of relief at both ends) and the ensuing mayhem that this caused due to us already having return flights booked, so to start with a one way is a good option. Show her around the schools, the relaxed primary teaching system (compared to Thailand) and you probably won't need that return ticket. My daughter is thoroughly enjoying herself and can't believe that in school she is baking cakes, doing clay work, making slime and uncovering a world of learning she never thought existed ....good luck !

As already said, a British citizen, dual national or not, has no need of a return or onward ticket when entering the UK.

But neither does a non British citizen, such as a Thai. However, they may be asked by UK Border Force officers to produce either such a ticket or proof that they have the means with which to purchase one, and could be refused entry if unable to do one or the other.

Concerns over parental child abduction have grown considerably in recent years, so a letter of consent from the other parent is highly advisable; even if anecdotal evidence shows it is not always asked for.

From Parental child abduction - know the law

“We also see cases where British nationals simply return to the UK with their child after their relationship breaks down whilst living abroad - this is still likely to be considered abduction. A parent will normally require the consent of the other parent and possibly permission from the courts of the country concerned. It is important that a parent obtains legal advice before taking any action.”

There have been significant improvements to the arrangements made to reduce the risk of child abduction and trafficking over the last few years.

When I travelled with the boys there was little issue but I was warned even then that I might be questioned en route. Obviously the older the child the more they can be questioned to reduce these risks.

At immigration in the UK there may well be some questions asked but these are in the interests of the child.

The real risk is that boarding may be refused without suitable parental permission.

If the non-travelling parent is able to provide permission then surely it is better to carry this!

I have no experience of the Thai system other than what is said here.

These rules are not there to be obstructive but are there to protect vulnerable youngsters. Therefore have my full support even if it means a bit more hassle!

There seems to be a remarkable difference in experiences to this question. I have a 10 year old Thai daughter who has recently joined me to attend school in England. She also has 2 passports. We use the 2 passport checking through system to avoid visas and have never encountered any problems. As a precaution both my ex and myself have authorising letters from each other, however we have not had to use them yet. Don't forget to book your outward flight for your daughter using the passport details of the arrival country for your daughter. Also prepare for sudden changes....LOL....it was my daughter who decided that she suddenly wanted to go to school in England and terminate her education in Thailand (a sigh of relief at both ends) and the ensuing mayhem that this caused due to us already having return flights booked, so to start with a one way is a good option. Show her around the schools, the relaxed primary teaching system (compared to Thailand) and you probably won't need that return ticket. My daughter is thoroughly enjoying herself and can't believe that in school she is baking cakes, doing clay work, making slime and uncovering a world of learning she never thought existed ....good luck !

Good luck to your daughter. She has made an excellent decision and I wish you all well!

8 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

When you arrive in the UK, and you march through the UK Passport counter, I'm not even sure if they swipe your passport ... they certainly don't stamp it ...

If the passport is the latest "Smart" or e-passport, you are directed through the self scan line. Whether a 10-year old is even tall enough to do this I don't know! But if you go through the manual checking line, the IO does scan it on a scanner behind his/her desk - you just may not be able to see it is all.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Presumably the mother travelling alone with the child doesn't need the father's consent?

This is an international thing: any parent  (mum or dad) traveling with a minor can be asked to show that the other parent is aware and gave consent. This as to rule out child abduction. They can even ask a family traveling together to show that the two adults are indeed mum and dad of the minors traveling with them... I guess there must be cases where dad or mom travelled with say a cousin pretending to be a couple and abduct a child in this way.

So a Thai (wo)man traveling with the kids can also be asked to make evident that the child is not being abducted.

This could happen at the Thai border, UK border, Dutch border etc. In the international attempt to prevent child abduction.

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Presumably the mother travelling alone with the child doesn't need the father's consent?

Correct - in most western countries, it is a sad reflection of the unfairness in the legal systems that by precedence, the mother has default custody. Lady Justice always gets to peep from under her blindfold where family law is concerned.

The default custody issue stems from social services (who when called upon, provide western courts with expert witness testimony to help decide custody issues)... consider all men to be potential child abusers and woefully unable to take care of children.

Thus if the children's mother is unable to take care of the kids herself for whatever reason, then the state  could shamefully be chosen as the next best custody option by default.

I know this because I have been there before. Watch Pierce Brosnan’s sensitive portrayal of a father on the receiving end of this prejudice in the 2002 film 'Evelyn' for a better idea of what guys may sometimes be up against when travelling as a lone father with their children in the west. Best to have all the paperwork in place lads. :jap:

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, SteveB2 said:

Correct - in most western countries, it is a sad reflection of the unfairness in the legal systems that by precedence, the mother has default custody. Lady Justice always gets to peep from under her blindfold where family law is concerned.(...) for a better idea of what guys may sometimes be up against when travelling as a lone father with their children in the west. Best to have all the paperwork in place lads. :jap:

I would say incorrect. ANY parent traveling with minors must have the paperwork in order. A woman too can be asked to show she isn't abducting her children or if they are infact her children. Just as a family of mum and dad plus kids can be asked to show that they are a family in order to rule out child abduction. 

It may be a headache and maybe men are confronted with this more often than women but all you need to ask yourself is 'when we cross the (any!) border the officer may wish to rule out child abduction, how do I/we go about showing that everything is in order?

That in custody cases men are generally at a disadvantage is a completely different subject which does not concerns the OPs questions/concerns.

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My wife flew to Laos this afternoon from BKK with our 2 year-old, but without me.  This thread had made me a little concerned, but everything went smoothly and she wasn't asked for any additional documentation.

But she may have been!

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it in my opinion.

• Like 1

Good advice. It may be a pain at immigration, but to me I place it in the same bracket as 'the bank has temporarily blocked my card as they consider an unusual transaction', always annoying as I had already informed them of the fact I was visiting Asia but also reassuring in a way too. Anything that helps to deter child abduction is a good move even if it impinges on the smooth transition of those of us travelling with the right child and the right intentions. I never knew that the letter needed to be endorsed by the Amphor, or notarised by the embassy and I probably won't worry too much about getting that done as to me, the decisions that my ex and myself make on our daughters travel and whereabouts is our business and in the past my ex has been questioned at UK immigration but the letters I have provided her with have always sufficed.

Maybe they have a 'child abductor' profiling system which selects certain individuals over others, it wouldn't be difficult - Have child/children, not laden down with paraphernalia, not looking worn down, free of crayon marks on clothing - bang 'this one needs checking out'

14 hours ago, Donutz said:

I would say incorrect. ANY parent traveling with minors must have the paperwork in order. A woman too can be asked to show she isn't abducting her children or if they are infact her children. Just as a family of mum and dad plus kids can be asked to show that they are a family in order to rule out child abduction. 

It may be a headache and maybe men are confronted with this more often than women but all you need to ask yourself is 'when we cross the (any!) border the officer may wish to rule out child abduction, how do I/we go about showing that everything is in order?

That in custody cases men are generally at a disadvantage is a completely different subject which does not concerns the OPs questions/concerns.

I think this is a fair enough clarification - especially when you consider the FBI's most wanted list https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/parental-kidnappings  ... but I'll go one step further, and extend the ruling to ANYONE who travels with small children should have the proper documentation.

In the UK, my grandmother wanted to take my daughter over to Disneyland in Paris - we went to a local solicitor to ensure she had all travel authorisation and permission letters in order before she set off. In this instance, she was not asked to show them at London Heathrow.

So the moral of the story has to be, if you want to kidnap kids, use a grandmother :whistling:  

23 hours ago, SteveB2 said:

Correct - in most western countries, it is a sad reflection of the unfairness in the legal systems that by precedence, the mother has default custody. Lady Justice always gets to peep from under her blindfold where family law is concerned.

Another vote for incorrect. On one occasion my Thai wife, travelling to the UK without me but with our daughter was asked whether she had permission to take our child with her. Admittedly on other occasions she was not asked but the possibility is obviously there.

When my wife and step daughter first came to the UK, Thai immigration wanted to see that my wife had the consent of her ex to take her daughter out of Thailand. She didn't, but she did have sole custody and the documents to prove this; which satisfied immigration.

She wasn't asked when leaving Thailand after visits back; maybe because immigration had kept a record which came up when my step daughter's passport was scanned? 

6 hours ago, 7by7 said:

When my wife and step daughter first came to the UK, Thai immigration wanted to see that my wife had the consent of her ex to take her daughter out of Thailand. She didn't, but she did have sole custody and the documents to prove this; which satisfied immigration.

She wasn't asked when leaving Thailand after visits back; maybe because immigration had kept a record which came up when my step daughter's passport was scanned? 

Yes  -  it's often the way. A mate needed to bring his daughter back to the UK a few years ago without his wife's permission (she left for pastures new a few years earlier and left him holding the baby). Thankfully he had both Thai and UK passports. His 70 years old+ daughters Grandma came over from the UK to take her from Thailand to the UK. No checks at Suvanabhumi or challenges at London Heathrow Job Done. :jap: