Most comfortable time schedule with 1 stop from europe

Captor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The most comfortable option for Economy Class with 1 stop.

Without any doubt: Emirates A380

With a stop-off and over-night inside the Airport Hotel, Aerotel which is air-side so no need to exit the airport or pass Immigration etc... (baggage goes all the way though to final destination).

I fly BKK to Dubai in the afternoon / early evening.. Stop off for 12 hrs, get 8 hrs sleep at the Airport Hotel, grab a cup of coffee and breakfast, board your flight to the UK stress free and refreshed. The same works well in return. 

Been doing it for years, works well with and without kids... even better with kids though, when they sleep on a flight I don't, so I'm tired when they are alert. When then sleep at night in a hotel, so do my Wife and I... makes traveling easy, simple, worry and hassle free... 

For your purposes OP: It would be worth looking at Whether or not Qatar have an Airport hotel (airside) and if you can spend 8 hours or so there and time your flights accordingly, alternatively there is a Airside hotel in Abu Dhabi (Etihad), and, as I mentioned above, so does Dubai (Emirates).

The stop off may be considered by some a time waster, especially for those who simply want to 'get to their destination' howerer, I have found that it makes the journey so easy that fatigue and jet lag are greatly reduced.

Hi

Unfortunately I have limited holiday so I have to really make the best of every day. But I will consider it when I am retired. That is not so far away. Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

I like the 6+6 options if it's a great deal price wise. First 6 hours I will gorge on the entertainment. The 6+6 is great if you have a fast layover time of say 90 mins. 2nd leg just drink a few whiskies and a sleeping tablet.

Bon voyage

Hm, yeah that is another way to do. Good idea! Thanks I will try that next time.

1 hour ago, nss70 said:

One thing is certain, DO NOT FLY SWISS. Although their european flights are OK the long haul to BKK is horrendous.

Extremely uncomfortable seats (the short euro flights have better seats, WT#!?), surly flight crew and inedible "food", even by airline standards. By a million miles the very worst flights I've ever had but will never have again.

Quatar are fine (current problems not included), Air France is OK, KLM are quite good as are Etihad. Haven't used Eva Air or Thai for some years but they were also OK back anon.

Really? I must say I have been pleased with Swiss air the 2 times I used them. Do their 777-300 have other seats than other airway companies?

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Travelled once from Poland to Helsinki and after about 4 hour stop over went on to Bangkok. I recall the price was good, but the trip felt like the longest non stop trip in my life. About 17 hurs comes to mind, but I forget if this was the total flights. But I swore I would never do that again. 

At the moment the prices are not soo good with Finn air. I would like to try them though. I believe they have the new Airbus 350.

50 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Aeroflot is good and cheap, Moscow airport much improved and sexy stewardesses . Arriving in the morning in BKK , going back at around 12 midday. Depending on when you fly and seated in the back , there can be many empty seats . Food not good for vegetarians.

Oh and happy to give my money to the Ruskies. They do fly over Afganistan....

Interesting! They always have the cheapest flights. I guess I have to give them a chance. No smoking on the plane and airport I hope?

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Aeroflot are not too bad by most accounts and they use Sheremetyevo (SVO) which is undeniably better than the other main airport at Domodedovo (DME). Mind you, transits through either can be a bit stressful during holidays and peak times where SVO can become manic whereas DME is manic nearly all the time. I haven't experienced the third airport at Vnukovo (VKO) yet which seems to be UTAir's hub but it seems to be gaining popularity?

Right, OK I will try them next time, thanks.

Just arrived on Saturday with Qatar . Flew from Heathrow so 6 hours a 4 hour lay over then 6 hours to Bangkok . A380 then a 777 . First time in the A380 but flown many times in a 777 . Both flights were comfortable with plenty of leg room. The IFE is rather good as well especially the audio section . Food was OK . I will fly with them again as the timings fit in with my connection to Khon Kaen .

Someone mentioned Aeroflot , a mate flew with them in May , they left his bags in Moscow for him on both his out and inbound flights .

14 minutes ago, mikecha said:

go to ticket spy .nl  can get business for 1100 

click deals business  last minut many many good values 

it does work cos i used

Thanks, do they have an english site?

I've done this trip a lot, my advice is: More than anything else, check the overall travelling time and make it as short as possible. From my destination, I usually had the shortest times with KLM, they have also quite good prices and are very friendly, although their airplanes are a little old. But I'd rather have a trip of 14h in an old plane than a 22h trip in a newer one, especially on my way back. 

Biz Class on the Emirates A380s is pretty good, as is Qatar.

I like breaking the journey mid-way, for me . When you transit in a relatively nearby airport, the short flights within Europe are usually poor... I like to get comfortable from the get go.

Emirates fly from Copenhagen mid-afternoon. 

for me , the most important factor is the ARRIVAL time at my destination . I dont fancy arriving in Thailand at 1AM......presents all sorts of problems with getting out of the airport ( no train service - must use Bangkok's reliable, honest  and friendly taxi service - sarcasm alert)...then you usually cant check into hotel til 2pm. So for me I prefer to arrive around 6am - 8am.

14 hours ago, Captor said:

Interesting! They always have the cheapest flights. I guess I have to give them a chance. No smoking on the plane and airport I hope?

Well you get what you pay for , usually . Aeroflot is at least 100 euro cheaper than the next cheap one. No smoking in airport , are there airlines that still allow smoking ? Lots of Chinese travellers in the airport too but no problems with them like they have in Don Muang.  The flight over Afganistan & Pakistan bothered me a lot , it's over the northern parts where the most "insugents" are. They didn't fly over the Ukraine. Another thing that bothered me , was how hot their planes were , not just 1 time but on the flight back too and I like it cool to cold , especially after too hot Bangkok airport. No need for blackets and that make it difficult to hide the bulge in your pants looking at the stewardesses' hot legs.  Around the Himalaya's some turbulance on both fights. Entertainment system was not great , movie selection s_cked  as do the earplugs , but with my dose of tranquilizer and music of my own, doable. Moscow airport security is a lot more laid back than in Bangkok or the euro airports , no need to take the computer out at the x-rays.

As other posters : You can't get me in an A380 for free .

All in all , even with the things that were not so good , I would still fly them and recommend them. Seeing my money go to the Russians instead of the folks of the religion of peace , or the ridiculous expensive euro airlines , is the cherry on the cake.

9 hours ago, mrdome said:

Don't forget that 787's tended to spontaneously combust when they were brand new and out of the box too.

Also the huge recall and retrofit started in early 2012 for cracked wing brackets on ALL 122 of the A380's flying at the time? Was a major headache for Emirates as that's all they have. Airbus were still retrofitting them in late 2015.

Edited by NanLaew

After many years flying direct from UK to BKK, I started to use Qatar, and now definitely prefer to break the long flight, unless there's more than about 2 hour stop-over (I once had a 5 hr L/O, which was way too much).    As others have said Emirates, Etihad, etc offer similar schedules and are equally good (although I've not used them). 

As I now fly BKK-LHR-BKK, even the M/E airlines can be a bit pricy, and I have used Air India & Jet a few times, but wouldn't recommend it as there'll be little savings when starting from Europe.

But, if you are one of the lucky ones who can sit on a plane and then fall asleep for the full 12 hours then stick with direct...

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

After many years flying direct from UK to BKK, I started to use Qatar, and now definitely prefer to break the long flight, unless there's more than about 2 hour stop-over (I once had a 5 hr L/O, which was way too much).    As others have said Emirates, Etihad, etc offer similar schedules and are equally good (although I've not used them). 

As I now fly BKK-LHR-BKK, even the M/E airlines can be a bit pricy, and I have used Air India & Jet a few times, but wouldn't recommend it as there'll be little savings when starting from Europe.

But, if you are one of the lucky ones who can sit on a plane and then fall asleep for the full 12 hours then stick with direct...

Thanks for the advice, I see some others here also have the same opinion so I will definetly try it next time. For this time I just booked with Swiss/Austrian again.

I am not the lucky guy that fell to sleep but there are chemicals...:-)

14 hours ago, mrdome said:

Unbelievable! Thanks.

.. Airbus issued a Major Event Revision of the Airbus A350 Master Minimum Equipment List (MMEL) that incorporates restrictions to avoid an uncontrolled overheat of the hydraulic system.”

Hmmm.... interesting!

5 minutes ago, Captor said:

Thanks for the advice, I see some others here also have the same opinion so I will definetly try it next time. For this time I just booked with Swiss/Austrian again.

I am not the lucky guy that fell to sleep but there are chemicals...:-)

I flew Amsterdam - Bangkok via Zurich once with Swiss air,the Amsterdam flight was with Swiss but the Zurich Bangkok leg was with Thai air,it was OK but the return leg was a four hour stopover in Zurich very early in a empty airport with Swiss prices for a coffee etc, that time was the only time I have ever had my bags checked back in Amsterdam!.I always fly eva in june they had flights via the airline for 585euros return, I didn't book then as I was not sure of my finances, a few weeks later I had a windfall and booked as soon as the cash was in my account €695.

I saw some really cheap flights in june for flying out in January through agents, Turkish and Aeroflot €495

+-30 booking fees + cc charges but checking online about the agents the reviews were overwhelmingly negative,"if it looks to good to be true" etc.via Skyscanner. 

49 minutes ago, adammike said:

I flew Amsterdam - Bangkok via Zurich once with Swiss air,the Amsterdam flight was with Swiss but the Zurich Bangkok leg was with Thai air,it was OK but the return leg was a four hour stopover in Zurich very early in a empty airport with Swiss prices for a coffee etc, that time was the only time I have ever had my bags checked back in Amsterdam!.I always fly eva in june they had flights via the airline for 585euros return, I didn't book then as I was not sure of my finances, a few weeks later I had a windfall and booked as soon as the cash was in my account €695.

I saw some really cheap flights in june for flying out in January through agents, Turkish and Aeroflot €495

+-30 booking fees + cc charges but checking online about the agents the reviews were overwhelmingly negative,"if it looks to good to be true" etc.via Skyscanner. 

OK, I paid € 610.- all fees included for Swiss/Austrian

I use to book my trips with Momondo and there EVA never comes up among cheapest. But That does The russians, Qatar, Swiss/Austrian, KLM/AirFrance sometimes,Air Berlin also sometimes but they are gone now...

The Turkish I will never use anymore. Very bad treating at airport and on the plane of the turkish employees. Also on the airport in Turkia when stop there. My expensive belt gone in the security controll. When I asked for it right away they said I have to contact Turkish airways... When I finally found the counter they said to me I should have talk to the people at the security check!! Arabic people....what can I say? I got the impression that they are not so nice against non arabic travelers. They treated me like dirt. Never again!

So I had to buy a new one on the airport.