Pattaya, Buriram and Chang Mai - will i need jabs?

mrblonde

me and my gf are visitnig thailand in November, and going to Pattaya, Buriram/Surin and Chang Mai/Pai, will we need any injections in the UK before we travel?

She suffers a lot if she gets bitten by mosquitos, even in european countries, should we visit the doctors over here before we fly?

We'e bought a thai brand repellant online (we used it in Ayutthaya last year, was given it by the hotel staff) and it worked a treat, but wasnt sure as we are venturing further north, and also into Isaan too?

you would need to obtain a course of medicine for malaria from a pharmacy before coming to Thailand, this may need taking a week or so before entry., and to be continued for some time after leaving. this will not prevent being bitten, that's done by long clothing and repellants

To be honest, unless going jungle trekking I wouldn't bother.

After 25 > years in the Far East (Korea, HK, Malaysia, China, Thailand, India) I've had one instance of a mozzie transmitted disease and that was a dose of Dengue (no vaccine anyway and Indian mozzies seem to like Deet) contracted on a metro construction site in Delhi.

Keep up the repellent and eliminate the flying beasties in the hotel room.

Of course, YMMV, no warranty implied or inferred.

IME tourists do seem to get bitten more-often than us long-term expats, or perhaps we build-up more immunity to the bites, over time ?  I've also heard (may not be true) that they can smell new-arrivals !  Shower frequently !

I don't think any of your destinations are particularly prone to mossies, do be aware of when they tend to fly (early-morning & early-evening), cover-up with long-trousers & socks & long-sleeve tops, use the repellents, keep fly-screens/doors closed, use the ceiling-fan in your room (IME they prefer still air), if you sit at a table then make sure there's a draft or breeze under the table.

Were you planning anything jungly, when up in Pai, trekking or rafting where you might encounter more of the wild-life ?

Edited by Ricardo

I wouldn't worry about Malaria here too much. It does happen but is stil quite rare. Getting Doxicylene before you go will put you both at ease. 

What is more serious here, and not so common back home, are Infections and Rabbies. You need to take any cut or bite from any animal seriously, to prevent infection. A shot for Tetanus wouldn't hurt either. There was a recent case from an Australian Guy who developed that here just from a cut on his foot. 

I have been Vacinated for pretty well everything, but not because I live here. It is because I work Overseas and in many dangerous countries.

For Malaria I prefer Doxicylene over Malarone, as Doxi is also a mind anitbiotic, which helps with all kinds of infections to.  It is also cheaper. But one side effect with Doxi is you are more prone to sunburn. 

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

as Doxi is also a mind anitbiotic,

After reading this thread I'd say the need for a "mind anitbiotic" is quite compelling for us all.

To the O/P I'd suggest you not be overly concerned about pre-travel medication or, if you're really worried, check with a doctor in UK and heed his/her advice. Unless you intend to go thrashing about in the bush or to wrestle crocodiles, you're unlikely to need vaccinations or to start popping unnecessary pills. 

Stick to restaurant prepared food rather than eating things from street vendors and, of course, only drink bottled water, etc. There's nothing wrong with vendor served food or drink, but a change in diet from what you're accustomed to at home might cause an upset stomach and all that that might entail. If you want to bring along some medications, get something to help you deal with possible "runny tummy."

The biggest problem with Brits arriving in the tropics is sunburn.  

I've seen these guys 'n gals with blisters on their blisters!

If you bring anything, buy a large tube or plastic bottle of SPF 50. 

Do not put it in your 'carry on' baggage or security will take it out.

Be 'sunwise' and slap it on and put it on (wide brim hat).  Don't lay on the beach all day!

Likewise with tropical strength insect repellent.

Edited by masuk
typo

18 hours ago, Ricardo said:

IME tourists do seem to get bitten more-often than us long-term expats, or perhaps we build-up more immunity to the bites, over time ?

I suspect that long-timers just learn when it's better not to sit around outside, and adjust their schedule to suit.

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2017 at 12:32 PM, Ricardo said:

IME tourists do seem to get bitten more-often than us long-term expats, or perhaps we build-up more immunity to the bites, over time ?  I've also heard (may not be true) that they can smell new-arrivals !  Shower frequently !

I don't think any of your destinations are particularly prone to mossies, do be aware of when they tend to fly (early-morning & early-evening), cover-up with long-trousers & socks & long-sleeve tops, use the repellents, keep fly-screens/doors closed, use the ceiling-fan in your room (IME they prefer still air), if you sit at a table then make sure there's a draft or breeze under the table.

Were you planning anything jungly, when up in Pai, trekking or rafting where you might encounter more of the wild-life ?

Hi Ricardo

Not, just a walk around the main part and a few scenic coffee shops, certainly wont be trekking or rafting

On 30/08/2017 at 12:27 AM, masuk said:

The biggest problem with Brits arriving in the tropics is sunburn.  

I've seen these guys 'n gals with blisters on their blisters!

If you bring anything, buy a large tube or plastic bottle of SPF 50. 

Do not put it in your 'carry on' baggage or security will take it out.

Be 'sunwise' and slap it on and put it on (wide brim hat).  Don't lay on the beach all day!

Likewise with tropical strength insect repellent.

Got burnt to pieces once 10 years ago, travelling from Pattaya to BKK in the back of a pick up truck (true Thai style) to see Man City play (Not a football fan, but my friend was). Wasnt even sunny, got there and was as pink as a lobster

6 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Got burnt to pieces once 10 years ago, travelling from Pattaya to BKK in the back of a pick up truck (true Thai style) to see Man City play (Not a football fan, but my friend was). Wasnt even sunny, got there and was as pink as a lobster

Yes, you're still getting exposed even on a cloudy day !

Also extra-exposed when on-the beach or in-and-out of the water, the sun can be reflected off the wet sand or water !

When you begin to feel the tingling-skin, you are already sun-burned, and should take cover to avoid over-exposure !