webfact

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Ossy said:

What an absolute gem! The 'Authorities', for want of a better word, believe she travelled through one of the countries to escape, yet have contacted 6 countries - all 5 of Thailand's land neighbours, in fact, plus the UAE - all of which have given a "sorry, can't help you, chum" reply.

Vietnam & Singapore aren't actually land-neighbours, but Malaysia which-is wasn't on the list, FWIW.

Does anyone remember reading this "all dimensions" soundbite from last week? Wonder what General Dipstick has got to say now?

BANGKOK: -- SECURITY OFFICIALS have assessed “all dimensions” that could unfold today when the court rules on the case of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, including the possibility that she might attempt to flee the country after the verdict, said National Police Chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda yesterday.

7 hours ago, JAG said:

The

You're right about it being a show.

If they cancel her passport(s), that just means that she will have to apply for asylum. Her status as the last elected Prime Minister of a country now run by a junta, installed by a coup staged during an election likely to return her to office, will mean that she will be granted political asylum. With that will come documents allowing travel.

Cancellation of passports will be no more than a speed bump on her roadmap in exile; but it will draw further attention to the nature of the regime, probably unwelcome attention.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/999401-The-futility-of-another-passport-pursuit

"Her status as the last elected Prime Minister of a country now run by a junta, installed by a coup staged during an election likely to return her to office, will mean that she will be granted political asylum. "

A tad OTT, even for you! You missed out the bit about being the last caretaker PM or PM to be removed by a court for an illegal abuse of power. Might as well be correct.

As for asylum, depends on the particular country's rules. Wonder where she fancies? As a billionairess she can pick and chose just about anywhere. Plenty of 5 star plus hotels and resorts while she finds a suitable mansion.

If they are hunting her does that mean they will cancel all Thai passports and request Interpol issue a red notice? Somehow, I don't think so.

Edited by Baerboxer

22 minutes ago, janetdoe said:

Does anyone remember reading this "all dimensions" soundbite from last week? Wonder what General Dipstick has got to say now?

BANGKOK: -- SECURITY OFFICIALS have assessed “all dimensions” that could unfold today when the court rules on the case of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, including the possibility that she might attempt to flee the country after the verdict, said National Police Chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda yesterday.

Ah yes, but see, he specifically said she might flee after the verdict. Guess it never occurred to him, that unlike her brother, she wouldn't wait for the verdict!

Come on, after all she said she wouldn't flee before so he believed her :whistling:

Amazing how much effort they are putting into finding this political "criminal" while that rich little punk "Boss" murderer of a policeman just can't be found in plain sight.

That rich little punk "Boss", murderer of a policeman, is no threat to those who believe Thailand is theirs to rule, in fact he is one of their own.
This political "criminal" and the faction which she represents are an existential threat to those who believe Thailand is theirs to rule.

Just now, JAG said:

That rich little punk "Boss", murderer of a policeman, is no threat to those who believe Thailand is theirs to rule, in fact he is one of their own.
This political "criminal" and the faction which she represents are an existential threat to those who believe Thailand is theirs to rule.

So his her brother. And he's very visible. And they don't want him back either.

Too many people, who are very rich, have too much information that's best kept between themselves!

No one wants the minions to start believing justice is really for all.

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

What an absolute gem! The 'Authorities', for want of a better word, believe she travelled through one of the countries to escape, yet have contacted 6 countries - all 5 of Thailand's land neighbours, in fact, plus the UAE - all of which have given a "sorry, can't help you, chum" reply.

Quick thinking, you'll agree, to ask our neighbours and perhaps unlucky to draw a blank at UAE, but what on earth makes them believe that the United Kingdom, already a suspected target, won't grant Yingluck political asylum? Yingluck will, almost certainly, be on their PM's 'victimised heroine' list and, more than likely, her 'approved for political asylum' list as well.

For Prayut to say that 'Thailand did not contact the United Kingdom – where Yingluck is speculated to have sought political asylum – as he doubted she would qualify for that status' is as good as admitting that what he really believes is exactly the opposite, i.e. she probably is in hiding in the UK, but he cannot risk finding her and, then, be faced with the terrible question, 'How the heck do I get her back to Bangkok and a possible 10-year court ruling.'

Mmm, quite a poser for P1 and I can't wait for what the next few days bring on this interesting issue. An asylum of a quite different sort may soon be needed, down by the Chao Phraya, methinks.

At the risk of being pedantic, Thailand has four neighboring countries, it does not share a border with Vietnam. It also does not share a border with Singapore. Apparently they forgot to contact Malaysia.. agree with your point about the UK, but personally think she probably went to Dubai.

Edited by sjaak327

"Her status as the last elected Prime Minister of a country now run by a junta, installed by a coup staged during an election likely to return her to office, will mean that she will be granted political asylum. "

A tad OTT, even for you! You missed out the bit about being the last caretaker PM or PM to be removed by a court for an illegal abuse of power. Might as well be correct.

As for asylum, depends on the particular country's rules. Wonder where she fancies? As a billionairess she can pick and chose just about anywhere. Plenty of 5 star plus hotels and resorts while she finds a suitable mansion.

If they are hunting her does that mean they will cancel all Thai passports and request Interpol issue a red notice? Somehow, I don't think so.

She was the last elected Prime Minister this country had before the coup, yes or no?

At the time of the coup she was standing, as leader of her party, in a general election, yes or no?

We all know well enough that you don't like her (putting it mildly) but those remain, inconveniently, facts. It is facts which will decide the matter of asylum applications in all but the most Mickey Mouse jurisdictions, not your, or my, likes and dislikes.

Just now, JAG said:

She was the last elected Prime Minister this country had before the coup, yes or no?

At the time of the coup she was standing, as leader of her party, in a general election, yes or no?

We all know well enough that you don't like her (putting it mildly) but those remain, inconveniently, facts. It is facts which will decide the matter of asylum applications in all but the most Mickey Mouse jurisdictions, not your, or my, likes and dislikes.

She was removed by a court for an illegal abuse of power - yes or no?

She was trying to hold a general election, despite the advice of the EC - yes or no?

I don't know her personally. However, I dislike hypocrisy and dishonesty, especially in politicians. Especially ones who pretend to support democracy but only while it suits them.

Yes. I did say that any asylum application will depend on the rules of the country she chooses to apply in. And being extremely wealthy she has the luxury to flee and choose not afforded to others. Just like her brother.

By all rights. Yingluck is still the PM of Thailand. I know of no election that took place, where she was defeated. A coup is just that. An illeagal take over of the government.

Edited by habanero

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

She was trying to hold a general election, despite the advice of the EC - yes or no?

I don't know her personally. However, I dislike hypocrisy and dishonesty, especially in politicians. Especially ones who pretend to support democracy but only while it suits them.

Yes. I did say that any asylum application will depend on the rules of the country she chooses to apply in. And being extremely wealthy she has the luxury to flee and choose not afforded to others. Just like her brother.

Hold on, now holding mandatory elections according to the charter is something to be blamed on Yingluck ? She handled exactly as the 2007 constitution required her. The EC should not advise, but arrange an election, that is their duty. the unwillingness of the EC at the time, had only one reason, to prevent a possible re-election. That IS exactly how rotten this country is, 

Rest assured, no-one outside of Thailand takes anything you brought up seriously, and that just because their intelligence services know that what you just brought up is political propaganda and bullshit. 

9 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Why is it that the courts get all the respect when they come down on the side that bolsters an argument, and none if they don't?  

Either they're corrupt and corruptible, or they're not.  I'm not going to claim to know, but it can't go both ways.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

To my recollection She was trying to get  a quick election to get back on the podium before everything came to light ---rice-amnesty--etc,  this would have been a sure way to cover up the abuses,   I think most impartial persons would know the plot.

10 minutes ago, habanero said:

By all rights. Yingluck is still the PM of Thailand. I know of no election that took place, where she was defeated. A coup is just that. An illeagal take over of the government.

No she isn't. She was removed by a court for an illegal act before the 2014 coup. She had dissolved parliament prior to being convicted so was the caretaker PM at the time she was dismissed.

But don't let the actual facts get in your way.

If

The actions of the court did not bar her from standing for re-election. Given that courts track record, and the circumstances surrounding the offence the court ruling would probably not hinder any claim for political asylum. Nor does it change the fact that she was the last elected Prime Minister before the coup.

The election may have been against the advice of The Electoral Commission, but it was called with the approval of the highest constitutional authority. I do wonder what the EC thought was appropriate instead of an election - hand power over to Suthep and his pals perhaps? Anyway, again that doesn't alter the fact that she was standing in an entirely constitutional election when the coup was staged .

Well done by the way for getting her brother a mention. They do say that if a tap drips for long enough it wears a groove in the flagstone underneath ...

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

No she isn't. She was removed by a court for an illegal act before the 2014 coup. She had dissolved parliament prior to being convicted so was the caretaker PM at the time she was dismissed.

But don't let the actual facts get in your way.

You are right, Yingluck is not the last legitimate PM of Thailand, Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan is. 

Edited by sjaak327

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

The actions of the court did not bar her from standing for re-election. Given that courts track record, and the circumstances surrounding the offence the court ruling would probably not hinder any claim for political asylum. Nor does it change the fact that she was the last elected Prime Minister before the coup.

The election may have been against the advice of The Electoral Commission, but it was called with the approval of the highest constitutional authority. I do wonder what the EC thoughts was appropriate instead of an election - hand over to Suthep and his pals perhaps? Anyway, again that doesn't alter the fact that she was standing in an entirely constitutional election when the coup was staged .

Well done by the way for getting her brother a mention. They do say that if a tap drips for long enough it wears a groove in the flagstone underneath ...

By calling that election, she handled in accordance with the constitution. Had she waited, she would have been blamed for hanging on to power, you can't do anything right for some people. 

How dare she calling for elections after a house dissolvement in a democracy ! The horror !

14 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Hold on, now holding mandatory elections according to the charter is something to be blamed on Yingluck ? She handled exactly as the 2007 constitution required her. The EC should not advise, but arrange an election, that is their duty. the unwillingness of the EC at the time, had only one reason, to prevent a possible re-election. That IS exactly how rotten this country is, 

Rest assured, no-one outside of Thailand takes anything you brought up seriously, and that just because their intelligence services know that what you just brought up is political propaganda and bullshit. 

And you think your comments are taken seriously by any other than pro Shin posters like yourself.

Dream on!

The protests were not subsiding, the violence increasing, the police and expensive CAPO useless etc etc. Just the right environment for an election.

And yes, I believe the UN, other countries and international organizations, recognize the Shins for the crooks they are.

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Why is it that the courts get all the respect when they come down on the side that bolsters an argument, and none if they don't?  

Either they're corrupt and corruptible, or they're not.  I'm not going to claim to know, but it can't go both ways.

That's a fair comment. Some on here avidly applaud them when they rule in favor of the Shins but of course curse them when they don't. And the opposite it true from others.

The decisions, or the way they are reported and translated, are often not in line with expectations based on Western law and logic. So like you say, it's difficult to actually know.

5 hours ago, hobobo said:

Why bother with the charade? They didn't want to "catch" her before (i.e. they wanted her to flee), so why pretend now? This country seems more and more eager to leave Asean and join the Union of Banana Republics.

I guess, it's just a new TAT campaign to attract fans of freak shows as new tourists...

12 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And you think your comments are taken seriously by any other than pro Shin posters like yourself.

Dream on!

The protests were not subsiding, the violence increasing, the police and expensive CAPO useless etc etc. Just the right environment for an election.

And yes, I believe the UN, other countries and international organizations, recognize the Shins for the crooks they are.

Of course the protests were not subsiding, they were never for something noble as "protecting the constitution" as Suthep initially claimed, they had just one goal, taking power without the Thai electorate having a say. He even wanted power handed over to him and his buddies, so they could change the constitution, the alternative was a coup which was eventually staged. 

I am not a pro "Shin" poster, that is just your childish mind playing tricks on you. I have seen a blatant attempt to sidetrack the Thai electorate, on the premises that they are uneducated and continue to elect corrupt politicians. The people doing the claim are equally corrupt, if not more so, as their actions did not have support from the majority of the electorate. 

The way Suthep and co disrupted the general election was a shameful display of exactly what I am talking about here. Of course he and his buddies are still free men, funny how you are so fanatic when it comes to prosecuting alleged "red criminals"  but remain silent when the other side breaks the law for all of us to see. 

Right or wrong, I have no problem with people being disposed from office because they misbehaved, I do have a huge problem with people trying to sidestep the electorate under dubious reasons. 

And to add, had she waited, she would continue to be in office, and the likes of you would be all over Thaivsia to post how she is holding on to power. It is you who is dreaming. Fact is Yingluck handled in accordance with the constitution, Suthep and CO most definitely did not. 

Take your bias elsewhere..

The UK will grant her assylum, there is no doubt about it, whether or not she actually goes there is anyone's guess.

Edited by sjaak327

9 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

You are right, Yingluck is not the last legitimate PM of Thailand, Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan is. 

Correct. Only he was the last caretaker PM prior to the coup to be precise.

And, regardless of whether you like it or not, the current PM is the last legitimate PM. Unless you include elected as a moderator to your statement.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Correct. Only he was the last caretaker PM prior to the coup to be precise.

And, regardless of whether you like it or not, the current PM is the last legitimate PM. Unless you include elected as a moderator to your statement.

It is only legal, because the person concerned made it legal retroactively... And you call the Shins corrupt ? Thanks for the laugh..

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Of course the protests were not subsiding, they were never for something noble as "protecting the constitution" as Suthep initally claimed, they had just one goal, taking power without the Thai electorate having a say. He even wanted power handed over to him and his buddies, so they could change the constitution, the alternative was a coup which was eventually staged. 

I am not a pro "Shin" poster, that is just your childish mind playing tricks on you. I have seen a blatant attempt to sidetrack the Thai electorate, on the premises that they are uneducated and continue to elect corrupt politicians. The people doing the claim are equally corrupt, if not more so, as their actions did not have support from the majority of the electorate. 

The way Suthep and co disrupted the general election was a shameful display of exactly what I am talking about here. Of course he and his buddies are still free men, funny how you are so fanatic when it comes to prosecuting alleged "red criminals"  but remain silent when the other side breaks the law for all of us to see. 

Right or wrong, I have no problem with people being disposed from office because they misbehaved, I do have a huge problem with people trying to sidestep the electorate under dubious reasons. 

The UK will grant her assylum, there is no doubt about it, whether or not she actually goes there is anyone's guess.

Are you an expert on UK Asylum law?

The UK welcomes billionaires, without a doubt. Whilst the Thai government don't make a formal extradition request they won't consider it. If they do then they will decide based on their rules. They may well decide to grant asylum especially as finance will never be a problem!

Unless the Home Office poke their nose in for political reasons.

But then she will get away with her gross negligence. Nice you support democracy, shame you don't support justice.

Edited by Baerboxer