Best Agent to use for Renewal off passport in Pattaya

Huayrat

Just now, Jip99 said:

So they do it by magic ?

OK, my chum needed a new UK PP, he doesn't use a PC, I contacted the owner of Key, he said it can all be done by post. I told him my friend also has a place near Pattaya so he can come to your office.

He did, paid the money they did the rest..Month later my chum went back to the Key office to pick up his PP...

Just now, transam said:

OK, my chum needed a new UK PP, he doesn't use a PC, I contacted the owner of Key, he said it can all be done by post. I told him my friend also has a place near Pattaya so he can come to your office.

He did, paid the money they did the rest..Month later my chum went back to the Key office to pick up his PP...

Correct, but incomplete story.

As Jeab1980 identified, whoever you use as your agent has to deliver (or arrange to have delivered) the passport personally to VfS..... i.e,. it cannot be posted to them and they also have to hand back the original old passport having exhibited to VfS...

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Correct, but incomplete story.

As Jeab1980 identified, whoever you use as your agent has to deliver (or arrange to have delivered) the passport personally to VfS..... i.e,. it cannot be posted to them and they also have to hand back the original old passport having exhibited to VfS...

Yes, Key take probably a bundle of PP's to BKK, so folk can stay home and do it all by post, never go near BKK...

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, Key take probably a bundle of PP's to BKK, so folk can stay home and do it all by post, never go near BKK...

Indeed.

Might be a novelty/break once (not for me though!) but not twice.

I can see the point of the application being submitted personally but, having supplied address evidence in Thailand I don't nderstand why the renewal passport cannot be sent direct to the holder.

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Indeed.

Might be a novelty/break once (not for me though!) but not twice.

I can see the point of the application being submitted personally but, having supplied address evidence in Thailand I don't nderstand why the renewal passport cannot be sent direct to the holder.

Can't even see the point of a physical trip to that office building in Bangkok with an exceedingly silly name in order to submit an application, personally. When I last renewed my passport 5 years ago the furthest I had to travel was to my local post office in order to send the application to Hong Kong.

And it really is absurd IMHO that HMPO now require us to provide proof of address as part of the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience", when we are no longer permitted to receive our new passports direct. Last time round my new passport was directly couriered to me from the UK, and I had not been required to provide any proof of address with the application!

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Can't even see the point of a physical trip to that office building in Bangkok with an exceedingly silly name in order to submit an application, personally. When I last renewed my passport 5 years ago the furthest I had to travel was to my local post office in order to send the application to Hong Kong.

And it really is absurd IMHO that HMPO now require us to provide proof of address as part of the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience", when we are no longer permitted to receive our new passports direct. Last time round my new passport was directly couriered to me from the UK, and I had not been required to provide any proof of address with the application!

Proving address is not that difficult but I fully agree in this day and age it should be possible to do it all online a Skype type call is as good as face to face.  All documents bar passport could be sent via email after being digitally signed then a hard copy sent too the passport office along with old passport.  Then new and old passport could be sent back together. 

As a side question would a thai driving license be used as proof of address? 

Edited by jeab1980

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Beyond the unfortunate bit about having your address in Thai script, it should be acceptable. Is it on their list of acceptable proof of address items? If so, it may need some form of 'official' translation before it is totally acceptable? If you have a utility or credit card bill in your name, it may work. If it is in English, even better... but unlikely. Check if they will accept a certificate of residence from KK immigration? The Pattaya immigration issues them in either Thai or English depending if the need is local (like Thai DL application/renewal) or foreign embassy or banking needs.

FWIW, my Isle of Man bank wanted proof of Thai address and after much wailing and gnashing of (mostly my) teeth, they accepted the Thai DL with a translation that was done by a board certified lawyer and notary. They refused a certificate of residence as issued by Thai immigration as well as Yellow books and pink ID cards. They also refused the British Embassy's Consular attestation of the same Thai DL fundamentally on the grounds that they could not verify the Consular signature short of calling them on the phone... filed in the 'too hard' category I assume. I almost suggested that the Thai MFA 'approval' of the UK Consular signature (like some Thai Immigration jurisdictions want to do with Embassy issued income proof letters) was a very remote option when they acquiesced and said they would accept the Thai DL translation as above.

Good luck. The paperwork would need to be spot-on but if you are paying the agent 5000 baht to check the submission as well as doing the legwork, they should eat that charge if it comes up rejected and needs a Mulligan.

Provided that addresses on Thai driving licences are stated in Western - as well as Thai - script, I would have thought so. However, never having had a particularly burning desire to get behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle on the highways and byeways of LOS I am not sure whether this is, in fact, the case.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Your last passport was renewed in the 'good old days', eh?

You have no personal experience of the current passport renewal procedure and beyond the perpetually childish fixation about the name of the office building that the passport office is located in, your talk of the "dreaded" renewal process is still based on purely anecdotal tales of woe when the passport renewal process was initially rolled out many years ago. Yes, the initial "experience" was a total bloody disaster but... and I know this may be a tricky concept for you, that was then but this is now. About 2-and-half years ago, I managed to renew 3 passports within 3 months of each other and each renewal took under 3 weeks the new-fangled "Trendy" way. People now get their passports back in about 2 weeks and some don't even have to get out of bed to achieve this. Despite your protestations, the system works for probably thousands of others.... and it is only getting better.

Your passport should be up for renewal in (about) 5 years time, no?

Please let us know how you get on.

Proving address is not that difficult but I fully agree in this day and age it should be possible to do it all online a Skype type call is as good as face to face.  All documents bar passport could be sent via email after being digitally signed then a hard copy sent too the passport office along with old passport.  Then new and old passport could be sent back together. 

Any Thai documents need translating. One technical issue with the driving license is that any supporting documents must be less than one year old.

However, HMPO in Liverpool are actually very helpful and even a 'flawed' document with a covering letter explaining why that is all you have may well be acceptable. It will certainly be acceptable (because I have their written confirmation) if it is backed up with a signed copy of a wife/partner's Thai ID card/passport, stating the you live with them at the stated address.

54 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Any Thai documents need translating. One technical issue with the driving license is that any supporting documents must be less than one year old.

However, HMPO in Liverpool are actually very helpful and even a 'flawed' document with a covering letter explaining why that is all you have may well be acceptable. It will certainly be acceptable (because I have their written confirmation) if it is backed up with a signed copy of a wife/partner's Thai ID card/passport, stating the you live with them at the stated address.

As as an aside it is worth giving some thought to the address evidence well ahead of the passport renewal date. Most of us do not have bank statements or utility bills in Thailand and if we do they will require translation and must be less than 1 year old. 

It it is possible to get suitable correspondence from the U.K..... bank statement sent to Thai address, a letter from DWP re pension ( or perhaps correspondence re a state pension forecast. A P60 from a pension provider.

If using income for annual extensions the British Embassy income letter will suffice.

I am sure there are loads of other things - just try and think ahead ready for when you want to renew. Worth reiterating that up to 9 months unexpired term will be credited so the thought process here can start at least 12 months before the renewal date. Just bear 90 day reporting dates in mind... and, of course, annual extensions.

As as an aside it is worth giving some thought to the address evidence well ahead of the passport renewal date. Most of us do not have bank statements or utility bills in Thailand and if we do they will require translation and must be less than 1 year old. 

It it is possible to get suitable correspondence from the U.K..... bank statement sent to Thai address, a letter from DWP re pension ( or perhaps correspondence re a state pension forecast. A P60 from a pension provider.

If using income for annual extensions the British Embassy income letter will suffice.

I am sure there are loads of other things - just try and think ahead ready for when you want to renew. Worth reiterating that up to 9 months unexpired term will be credited so the thought process here can start at least 12 months before the renewal date. Just bear 90 day reporting dates in mind... and, of course, annual extensions.

I wouldn't sweat the address too much, the requirement is proof of address and/or residence and for residence it has been reported that a simple copy of an extension of stay will suffice. I really can't imagine that the UK care for one moment where anyone actually lives.

19 minutes ago, notamember said:

i have used Key Visa myself and so have 3 of my friends on my recommendation

we are all happy with the service we received

Yes they look good however the other one does an all inclusive package for 11k for a 48 page passport. Will decide nearer the time.

So a translated  copy of yellow house book would suffice

Does this need to be notorized or simply signed by me? 

Same answer as for D/Ls.

Nothing needs notorising,

As Upnotover said, HMPO do not have a reputation for being obstructive.... that said it is a case of buyer beware, try and wing it too much and you risk being asked for additional documents. VfS have also been a stumbling block and have rejected documents for individual applicants. They could certainly ask "are you happy with these address documents".. it has happened.

That said, this thread is about using an agent and any agent worth his salt will make sure you have what they know will be acceptable.

• Like 1

Excuse me for asking this here as it not directly related to using agent to renew a passport but may I know:

1. Is it possible in Thailand to make an on line application to renew a UK passport without needing to go to Bangkok ie thru the post/EMS?

2. What is the earliest and latest date for UK passport renewal going back from the expiration date?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by homeseeker

7 hours ago, homeseeker said:

Excuse me for asking this here as it not directly related to using agent to renew a passport but may I know:

1. Is it possible in Thailand to make an on line application to renew a UK passport without needing to go to Bangkok ie thru the post/EMS?

2. What is the earliest and latest date for UK passport renewal going back from the expiration date?

Thank you in advance.

1......no

2.....they give a maximum 9 months grace,you can apply 12 months before but they will only grant 9 :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 9:10 PM, Huayrat said:

Not doing it myself.. someone please answer my question and you don't have to do it a second person can

If you do not do it yourself I believe that technically you would need to have the photo countersigned. When I did mine at VFS the girl studied the photo, looked at me then signed a form.

It could be that some agents have a way round this step but any circumvention is always risky. You would be well advised to check the photo requirements carefully. If the passport office were to challenge the photo who knows what problems it could lead to.

55 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you do not do it yourself I believe that technically you would need to have the photo countersigned. When I did mine at VFS the girl studied the photo, looked at me then signed a form.

It could be that some agents have a way round this step but any circumvention is always risky. You would be well advised to check the photo requirements carefully. If the passport office were to challenge the photo who knows what problems it could lead to.

I belive tbey ask you to get another farang to sign it someone whos known you for a couple of years.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I belive tbey ask you to get another farang to sign it someone whos known you for a couple of years.

Must be a British farang though and that's only for the passport picture. Since this is a passport renewal, there's no need for them to 'witness' the application.

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

A countersignature is not required for a normal passport renewal.

That's what I said diddle-i?

Three years ago, my Thai-domiciled Yorkshire buddy of long-standing signed the back of my new passport pictures and that of my son since that was in the published requirements at that time. If new pictures no longer need such witnessing, then it's a relatively recent change.

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That's what I said diddle-i?

Three years ago, my Thai-domiciled Yorkshire buddy of long-standing signed the back of my new passport pictures and that of my son since that was in the published requirements at that time. If new pictures no longer need such witnessing, then it's a relatively recent change.

Yes I was referring to the photo's.  For adult passports a countersignature is only needed if you can't be recognised from your previous photo, or for lost/stolen applications.

• 8 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, jeab1980 said:

Any way glad I saw this will be a great help.  Really didn't fancy going to Bkk twice to renew it so thanks for all your help and input poster?

The only reason I can think of as to why passport renewal cannot be done by post in Thailand is because many were going missing, can you imagine the mess created if they contact you and say your new passport in in the post and it doesn't arrive, equally postal applications may not have been 100% or again got lost in the mail....……...just as big a mess